The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

The Lofton Out at Second

Seems to me that the play at second where Kenny Lofton was out on a nice throw from Manny Ramirez is a perfect example of why instant replay is a bad idea in MLB.

Lofton went in hand first, the umpire was in perfect position and the ball beat Lofton, but slow mo replays showed Lofton's hand beat the tag which first grazed the bag as it swept toward him.

Lofton never argued the call and went back to the dugout. It is a play that is called the same way hundreds, if not thousands, of times in the regular season.

The players know that a slide into the tag when the ball is there the result is most likely an out, even if the foot or hand gets in.

Agonizing on each of those calls over slo-mo replays would serve no useful purpose and delay the game to the point of boredom.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

lofton out

yes, but don't you want to make the correct call? A nice slide that clearly beats the tag even though the ball was there and you want to call him out!
So if a runner beats the ball, but the defensive player clearly finds a way to tag the runer out, do we now call him safe? Be careful!
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk21
yes, but don't you want to make the correct call? A nice slide that clearly beats the tag even though the ball was there and you want to call him out!
So if a runner beats the ball, but the defensive player clearly finds a way to tag the runer out, do we now call him safe? Be careful!
That, however, was not the play.

A nice slide that avoids the tag is much different than coming straight in to the tag. Kenny Lofton knew the situation and the result, even though he knows he got his hand on the bag first. That is the way the game is played.
And everyone accepts plays like that as the "right" call, even though instant replay does not.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

lofton out

sorry didn't see the play, so I guess in this situation you are correct!
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if this would ever make the list of calls eligible for an IR review but, I believe the right call was made for the given situation though.

Why, the umpire was right on top of the play and the ball beat the runner to the bag. The fielder made a swipe tag that could or could not have got the tip of the runners fingers. The runner had a slight hesitation getting to second. The umpire did not have the benefit of reviewing the call 3 times at 3different angle's either.

It is impossible to have perfection in an unperfect game.

Batters only hit around 30%.

Pitchers are probably less that 60% effective.

Fielders make errors.

Humans play the game.

The ONLY thing we have not taken into consideration here is the media.

They make there living and thrive on the controversy. Right or Wrong
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Seems to me that the play at second where Kenny Lofton was out on a nice throw from Manny Ramirez is a perfect example of why instant replay is a bad idea in MLB.

Lofton went in hand first, the umpire was in perfect position and the ball beat Lofton, but slow mo replays showed Lofton's hand beat the tag which first grazed the bag as it swept toward him.

Lofton never argued the call and went back to the dugout. It is a play that is called the same way hundreds, if not thousands, of times in the regular season.

The players know that a slide into the tag when the ball is there the result is most likely an out, even if the foot or hand gets in.

Agonizing on each of those calls over slo-mo replays would serve no useful purpose and delay the game to the point of boredom.
I agree with the jest of your post, there after all was no argument from anyone; however, the umpire was "on top of the play" literally.

He was way too close to the play for some reason and might have been a problem on the call. He probably could have seen it from a better distance, it looked on TV like he was only about five feet from the call.

Don't know how that happened ...

Thansk
David
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
I agree with the jest of your post
I don't believe he was joking, but I got the "gist" of what he was saying.

I also don't believe that the umpire was "too close" to the play. He just made the "expected call," which was the correct call for that situation. Still not a reason to institute instant replay.

Yes, it was that one darn call on Kenny Lofton that lost the game for the Indians.

Oh well, back to burning up.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
I agree with the jest of your post, there after all was no argument from anyone; however, the umpire was "on top of the play" literally.
I don't think he was joking.

Lofton tried to catch Ramirez napping, and failed. I didn't notice the umpire too close to the play.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

I didn't notice the umpire too close to the play.

If you see the replay from the camera angle behind first base (looking up the a$$ end of the play), you will see Lofton's right foot make contact with the umpire's front foot. That is way too close. I am not saying that his being too close played any part in his making the call (either the "expected" call or the wrong one, whichever side of the debate you are on), but he was definitely too close.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I don't think he was joking.

Lofton tried to catch Ramirez napping, and failed. I didn't notice the umpire too close to the play.
Watch the replay, there is no way that's where you want to be to make this call.

At least not a MLB umpire, that's a LL mistake.

I would have made the same call, but I would have made it from 12 -15 feet

thanks
David
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 04:19pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
If you see the replay from the camera angle behind first base (looking up the a$$ end of the play), you will see Lofton's right foot make contact with the umpire's front foot. That is way too close. I am not saying that his being too close played any part in his making the call (either the "expected" call or the wrong one, whichever side of the debate you are on), but he was definitely too close.
Wing nut U2 didn't hustle to get proper positioning more than likely. He either thought it was a sure double or Lofton wasn't going attempt second. Poor mechanics for a game seven playoff umpire.

The expected call in a playoff game. Give me a break.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Mon Oct 22, 2007 at 10:45pm.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
I'm not arguing with you. I just didn't notice it.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano

IMO, the aforementioned is not a good example because that type of play would be on the list of items that are not reviewable.

Not everything in PRO football is reviewable and the same would be true in baseball.

What will probably be indoctrinated into baseball as far as IR goes is on a HR vs. book rule double and whether or not the ball was fair/ Foul concerning a dinger. Also, if a fan interfered with a ball in play.

The type of play you refer to would not be reviewable.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
IMO, the aforementioned is not a good example because that type of play would be on the list of items that are not reviewable.

Not everything in PRO football is reviewable and the same would be true in baseball.

What will probably be indoctrinated into baseball as far as IR goes is on a HR vs. book rule double and whether or not the ball was fair/ Foul concerning a dinger. Also, if a fan interfered with a ball in play.

The type of play you refer to would not be reviewable.

Pete Booth
Reviewing home runs/or not is okay by me. Some parks have such crazy configurations it is impossible to be in postion to see everything. I know in Detroit there is a section of the fence in right center field which takes a 90 degree turn where if a fan reaches out and touches the ball it would be very difficult to determine home run or rule book double.

Fair or foul is not that hard, since the foul line in baseball is fair and the foul pole has a large screen in fair territory. In football the ball must be entirely inside the extended upright, but in baseball it does not.

Glad to see you would not burden the game with any other replays.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
being all over a tag play is coming from their supervisors. the proper positioning for this play, again, from their supervisors, is to put the bag between you and the ball, which would mean that he would have had to be in the path of the sliding runner to be in what they want for proper positioning. obviously he couldn't be in the path, so he had to choose one side or the other. take it step by step. he started in the outfield, so if he went to the 3b side on the way in he would be crossing the path of the ball. so he went the other way, keeping the developing play in front of him. as the play developed, he moved in to get all over the play, per what their supervisors want. you can like it, or you can not like it, but everybody on here that gives advice says to do whatever your supervisor wants, correct?