The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
If, MLB had IR, it could be used all year, not just playoffs. Pete was making the argument that continuing action would eliminate certain types of calls from being reviewed. I pointed out that Lofton call at 2B was not a situation where continuing action applied.

Are you keeping up with this discussion or coming in the middle without reviewing what has been said?
You may want to review who started the thread.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

remember the rule

gentlemen, remember "angle to distance" not "distance to angle"---get the best possible angle and you will always make the correct call, even if you are 12 to 15 feet away or more, or more, or more!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
always!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk21
gentlemen, remember "angle to distance" not "distance to angle"---get the best possible angle and you will always make the correct call, even if you are 12 to 15 feet away or more, or more, or more!
And that being said, I'd still rather be close to a tag play and farther away for a force play. I can get the calls right watching on TV, but I would rather be on the field. I can get the calls right with a great angle, but if I can get right in there on a tag play (without losing sight of the whole play), I will.

Update:

Back home. Fire (San Miguel) came within a mile of our neighborhood. Others of course not as lucky unfortunately .

Thanks once again for all the prayers and concern from all you great brother umpires. We can fiercely argue back and forth on this forum, but at the end of the day we stick together in times of trouble.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Haven't been to PBUC lately, have you?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Formerly Chuckfan1

I think he just missed it. Nothing to do with "ball beating the runner". Sometimes those headfirst slides are tricky. Arms outstretched. Tag coming down between those arms. BU trying to see if the hands hit the base first, or the tag applied first. Especially if the tag is not being laid on the hands. Where to look? At the hands on the bag? At the point of tag? Cant watch em both. Unless, maybe he is back a few feet.
Im in the camp that he is too close. I like being closer also on a tag play, but not this close. Back up a bit, and maybe get a wider shot of that tag vs hands hitting the bag.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
You may want to review who started the thread.
Not relevant. Add one to ignore list.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

GarthB

sorry buddy, I'm from Toronto Canada!
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:02am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Currently evacuated to in-laws due to fires. Hope I don't lose home. Prayers appreciated.
We were postponed witrh navy as BUMED is sending tons of folks and funds to SD. Couldn't be a better reason, we're inconvenienced, you're endangered.

Last edited by fitump56; Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 04:36am.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
sorry buddy, I'm from Toronto Canada!
I'm late to the party, but I believe what Garth was alluding to is PBUC's recent emphasis on distance being on at least a parity with angle, if not more important at times.

After reading his article, I chatted with some Single A umpires locally and heard the same explanation for some of the little changes I noticed in mechanics.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Mr. Ump

I hear where you're coming from, I try to do both--get as close as possible and get the best 90 degree angle!