Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 01:38pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
You obviously missed or ignored the fact that I drew no conclusion upon the Eddings ruling. I said there are times when an umpire's incorrect use of mechanics, putting a runner in jeapordy, can be fixed. Perhaps this is one of them, or perhaps it isn't. I'll write Rick Roder and see what he has to say.

Tim.
I didn't ignore or miss anything. What rule are you going to enforce? 9.01c has to be the only one unless you have one more specifically spelled out as umpire interference in the rule book.

In essence, you said there are times it can be fixed and times it can't be fixed. So, if the umpire is using proper mechanics, no call shall be made? Is proper mechanics defined in the rule book? I suppose if a runner is in jeopardy of being put out, you would bail him out if he collided with you to kill the play on him. Explain that one to a coach. This is like a true/false question. No grey area for judgment. You've obviously read too much into the question. Things happen on the ballfield that are beyond any one's control. This is such a time.

Plain and simple, Eddings was in the wrong place at the wrong time. To top it off, he made the wrong call.