The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

www.firedougeddings.com
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
Somebody bought a domain name just for that??

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Tuff titties. MLB players who haven't learn to never leave the bag ESPECIALLY on a 3 ball count, until the end of the play has been completely decided, deserve what they get. OUT! Hell if I am going to protect them.
Except that the official ruling in this situation is that such a runner is NOT out, your opinion notwithstanding. Remember, R1 didn't "leave" the bag; he never made it there, which was his right due to B1 being awarded first on a base on balls. The MLBUM specifically says the umpire returns him to the base safely.

Half of me can see how this is very similar to Eddings crashing into Dye; therefore Dye should be protected back to second. The other half of me can see how Dye should, indeed, be called out, because as similar as this is to the R1 being improperly called out situation, it still is a bit different rules-wise.

The remaining half of me wonders if there is, as my colleague Mr. Jenkins above mentions, some internal memo to which we're not privy.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
So you're using 9.01C for your ruling in this case?

There are two times when an umpire kills the ball when it involves him.

He is hit with a batted ball and he interferes with a throw.

Colliding with a base runner is not one.

Eddings blew the call.
You obviously missed or ignored the fact that I drew no conclusion upon the Eddings ruling. I said there are times when an umpire's incorrect use of mechanics, putting a runner in jeapordy, can be fixed. Perhaps this is one of them, or perhaps it isn't. I'll write Rick Roder and see what he has to say.

Tim.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
You obviously missed or ignored the fact that I drew no conclusion upon the Eddings ruling. I said there are times when an umpire's incorrect use of mechanics, putting a runner in jeapordy, can be fixed. Perhaps this is one of them, or perhaps it isn't. I'll write Rick Roder and see what he has to say.

Tim.
I agree with Steven Tyler. The only way this situation can be fixed is if the umpire doesn't collide with the baserunner in the first place. And you claim I don't have a clue about the rules...
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Who knows what memos fly around MLB about this stuff. From the materials we have, it sounds like Eddings messed up (still haven't seen the play). I can't comment on his mechanics during the call, since I haven't seen it.

My point is we don't have all the rule material used in MLB, so we can't really judge what the correct call (or no call) would have been.

In FED, NCAA and OBR at our local diamond, this is an out. But who knows at the MLB level, which can diverge from the OBR path with its private memos.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 01:38pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56

Tim.
I didn't ignore or miss anything. What rule are you going to enforce? 9.01c has to be the only one unless you have one more specifically spelled out as umpire interference in the rule book.

In essence, you said there are times it can be fixed and times it can't be fixed. So, if the umpire is using proper mechanics, no call shall be made? Is proper mechanics defined in the rule book? I suppose if a runner is in jeopardy of being put out, you would bail him out if he collided with you to kill the play on him. Explain that one to a coach. This is like a true/false question. No grey area for judgment. You've obviously read too much into the question. Things happen on the ballfield that are beyond any one's control. This is such a time.

Plain and simple, Eddings was in the wrong place at the wrong time. To top it off, he made the wrong call.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
I would guess someone was really upset with his non-strike three call a few years ago in the playoff.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

What inning did this play happen in?
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

D-man, I don't remember exactly. I think somewhere near the middle of the game.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks 25,

Bottom of 4th.

MLB.com must be doing a promotion for their MLB TV package. Click on a highlight. In the upper right area of the highlight screen, click to show box score. Once the box score is up, you can click on any half inning to show that inning.

I hope I didn't subscribe by accident, not that I wouldn't love to have it.

D
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Wonder why? Uh, because it's stupid to think so? This isn't LL where some kid crys and Mommy wants to give you a tongue wagging in the parking lot.
I'd respond better if I had any idea what it is you're trying to say. I don't see the parallel between LL kids crying, their Mommies wagging their tongues, and a fixable situation in MLB due to improper mechanics. I'm pretty dense though, so you'll have to explain it to me....................

Tim.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Who knows what memos fly around MLB about this stuff.....which can diverge from the OBR path with its private memos.
Private in what sense? How are these memorandums tied to the OBR for purposes of authority?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Private in what sense? How are these memorandums tied to the OBR for purposes of authority?
Private in the sense that they're only sent to MLB umpires (and maybe the teams).

They don't affect OBR until they become "public" (e.g., published in OBR or NAPBL) or until the play happens often enough for the public to draw a conclusion.

In the current play, for example, we don't know if Eddings made a mistak, or follwoed direction. If the play happens a few more times, and each time the umpire disallows the out and returns the runner, then that will be seen as the "accepted practice" and will affect how the game is called at the amateur level.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I hope none of you guys are serious about a secret memo that would allow a "never mind" on an umpire FUBAR.