The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

PS: Jerry Coleman is not even in the conversation for biggest homer or worst announcer. It starts with anyone working for the White Sox and ends with Ron Santo and has a lot of midwest and east coast trash in between[/QUOTE]

Hey Reddevil of course Santo is a homer he bleeds Cubbie Blue!!!!!!!!!! And yes he not the best color guy (everyone in Chicago will tell you that) in fact he can be so bad he's good.

You sign a Milton Bradley you take your chances. Even if he was provoked in this case. Stupid acqusition might cost you a post season shot.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of signing head cases, which AL team will sign Barry Bonds for next year? $15M, anyone? Beuler? Beuler?

Baseball people I respect seem to think that he will certainly get a contract for next year to DH. Golly, I hope it's not my team...
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You and Rich are never going to assign blame to an umpire, I know.
I can't speak for Rich, but you apparently don't know when it comes to me.

The archives on this board hold numerous posts in which I hold MLB umpires accountable for bad actions.....Froemming, Brinkman, West, Hernandez....

I'll wait until all the evidence is in, however. There will be plenty of time to discuss who really did what when we know who really did what.

And there were plenty of pilots that did what Coleman did and more who don't have people whining for them. I appreciate his service on behalf of his country. His broadcasting sucks.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 09:55am.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil19
As I said in my first foray, I didn't hear anything, because I don't have that kind of money.
Okay, so you don't know anymore than anyone else.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I can't speak for Rich, but you apparently don't know when it comes to me.

The archives on this board hold numerous posts in which I hold MLB umpires accountable for bad actions.....Froemming, Brinkman, West, Hernandez....

I'll wait until all the evidence is in, however. There will be plenty of time to discuss who really did what when we know who really did what.

And there were plenty of pilots that did what Coleman did and more who don't have people whining for them. I appreciate his service on behalf of his country. His broadcasting sucks.
I never said anything about Coleman's service, but his service doesn't give him a free pass to be a lousy, homer announcer or anything else, for that matter.

I won't back Winters blindly, but Bradley's track record speaks for itself. So the talking heads giving benefit of the doubt to Bradley over a guy who has worked MLB for 17 years without a blemish I can remember shows that these morons and ex-players will always back the players over the officials. I won't do that. The Padres should've known what they were getting when the signed Bradley.

Oh, and it's funny how things like this happen when a team is choking away a Wild Card berth. It's hard to win with two hands wrapped around your throat, gentlemen.

Does any non-SD fanboy find Sandy Alderson a credible person in all this? That piece of garbage had it in for the umpires the entire time he was a MLB executive.

I'm willing to wait this out and see what happens.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
I have it from a very good source in the Padres clubhouse that Winters provoked Bradley by calling him a "a ------- piece of ----."
Uhhhh, while your "very good source" in the clubhouse was telling you secrets, this quote had already been included in a FOX article on the event.

If the allegation is true, I'd agree that it was inappropriate for Winters to verbalize this commonly held opinion of Bradley.

It was wrong. But it certainly doesn't qualify as a "racial" comment as San Diego has alleged.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, so you don't know anymore than anyone else.
If you'll go back and look, I never said that I did hear anything. I know what I saw in between inninngs. I know that someone who points at someone and mimmicks something they just did is talking about that person. I know that someone who 5-10 minutes later feels it necessary to go do that again with someone else is not having an easy time of just letting it go.

I will not add anything more. My first thought, after "Dammit Milton stop" was wondering how the situation would be discussed here. So far, I've not been surprised.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Uhhhh, while your "very good source" in the clubhouse was telling you secrets, this quote had already been included in a FOX article on the event.

If the allegation is true, I'd agree that it was inappropriate for Winters to verbalize this commonly held opinion of Bradley.

It was wrong. But it certainly doesn't qualify as a "racial" comment as San Diego has alleged.
Maybe he'll argue that sh!t is brown, therefore....

I've seen sillier arguments in my time.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will not add anything more. My first thought, after "Dammit Milton stop" was wondering how the situation would be discussed here. So far, I've not been surprised.
[/QUOTE]

IMO, what's getting overlooked is that Bradley if not stopped by someone would have phsically asaulted an official.

There is a way to handle things. If Winters (and we still do not have the entire story) did utter a racial comment then he should be reprimanded by the league.

Suspended for the remainder of the season and playoffs (if he was on the lsit) and his future as an official in MLB to be determined.

Write or Wrong reputation comes into play. I am a NY Giant Fan and because of Jeremy Shockey's rep he does not get the benefit of doubt. He recently got called for a 15 yard unsportmanlike conduct penalty in the Packer game that was suspect but Shockey only has himself to blame.

Same with Bradley.

This does not get the official "off the hook" if indeed he instigated the entire episode.

The point I am making is that you cannot have an athlete in prime condition attack an official.

There is a way to handle things.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 01:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Does any non-SD fanboy find Sandy Alderson a credible person in all this? That piece of garbage had it in for the umpires the entire time he was a MLB executive.
And just who are you a fanboy of? What team do you homer for? Don't tell me you just root for the umpires. You don't have a team that you enjoy watching? Your not a baseball fan? I'm sure if it were your team this was happening to you would be singing a different tune. Not a fanboy my a$$.

Probably a Phillies Fanboy based on your "choking away the wild card" smack you're running. Just for your information, in case you weren't watching, the Padres had won seven straight before they ran into a hot Rockies team that had great pitching. Peavy should be able to right the ship next time out there. We'll see when the dust settles. Even if the Padres don't make it, at least they were back-to-back NL Division Champions. Was your team?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 03:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
And just who are you a fanboy of? What team do you homer for? Don't tell me you just root for the umpires. You don't have a team that you enjoy watching? Your not a baseball fan? I'm sure if it were your team this was happening to you would be singing a different tune. Not a fanboy my a$$.

Probably a Phillies Fanboy based on your "choking away the wild card" smack you're running. Just for your information, in case you weren't watching, the Padres had won seven straight before they ran into a hot Rockies team that had great pitching. Peavy should be able to right the ship next time out there. We'll see when the dust settles. Even if the Padres don't make it, at least they were back-to-back NL Division Champions. Was your team?
Wow. Division Champions. When's the last time the Padres won the World Series?

Yes, I'm a Phillies fan, but I don't "fanboy" for them.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth

The point I am making is that you cannot have an athlete in prime condition attack an official.
Would it be alright for Bartolo Colon to attack?
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 04:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Would it be alright for Bartolo Colon to attack?
As a Phillies fan, I wish Antonio Alfonseca would.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 05:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
As a Phillies fan, I wish Antonio Alfonseca would.
And as a Yankees fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Kyle Farnsworth suspended until....oh.... about November, 2008.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
You and Rich are never going to assign blame to an umpire, I know. Rip Jerry Coleman, whatever. He's a great man and this country still hasn't come close to repaying what he did for this country so blow the Jerry Coleman insults out your myopic wazzzoooos.

What does being a horrible announcer (Hall of Fame horrible announcer) have to do with the facts?
Steve, really, what does being a war hero have to do with baseball knowledge ? Nothing, really. I agree with your assessment of his service to this country, but that doesn't mean anything in this particular discussion.