The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
I don't have current a rulebook handy, but isn't this the last sentence of the rule section?

PENALTY FOR INTERFERENCE: The runner is out and the ball is dead.

What does no play being made on the "assisted" runner have to do with whether the ball remains in play or not? It's either dead or it isn't.
From JEA:

When a play is being made on the assisted runner, the umpire should call "Time" and enforce the penalty. The runner is out and all runners return to the bases occupied at the time of the interference (assistance).
If no play is being made on the assisted runner, the umpire shall signal that the runner is out and allow the ball to remain alive. This enforcement principle permits the defensive team to make plays on other runners if possible. It is also consistent with other enforcement principles in the Official Baseball Rules in which you have a "delayed dead ball": 7.06(b) - Obstruction with no play being made on the obstructed runner; and 7.08(h) - Runner declared out for passing a preceding runner.

Here's an example:

Runner on 2nd...the batter hits a ground ball to the shortstop. The B-R advances to 1st and overruns the base as the ball deflects off the 1st baseman. The B-R feints to 2nd and then trips to the ground. His coach helps him up as the other runner attempts to score. The 1st baseman retrieves the ball and fires home in time for the putout. Should the ball be killed at the time of the assist by the coach or should the out stand? RULING: Since the play was not being made on the assisted runner, the ball remains alive and in play. This is a double play. (Though not covered specifically in the Official Rules, this ruling is based on common sense and fair play. If the ball were instantly killed at the time of a coach's assist, the coach could always control the status of the ball by grabbing a nearby player.)

Sorry for the redundancy. Garth beat me to it.

Last edited by NFump; Thu Sep 13, 2007 at 12:59pm.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:50pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFump
From JEA:

When a play is being made on the assisted runner, the umpire should call "Time" and enforce the penalty. The runner is out and all runners return to the bases occupied at the time of the interference (assistance).
If no play is being made on the assisted runner, the umpire shall signal that the runner is out and allow the ball to remain alive. This enforcement principle permits the defensive team to make plays on other runners if possible. It is also consistent with other enforcement principles in the Official Baseball Rules in which you have a "delayed dead ball": 7.06(b) - Obstruction with no play being made on the obstructed runner; and 7.08(h) - Runner declared out for passing a preceding runner.

Here's an example:

Runner on 2nd...the batter hits a ground ball to the shortstop. The B-R advances to 1st and overruns the base as the ball deflects off the 1st baseman. The B-R feints to 2nd and then trips to the ground. His coach helps him up as the other runner attempts to score. The 1st baseman retrieves the ball and fires home in time for the putout. Should the ball be killed at the time of the assist by the coach or should the out stand? RULING: Since the play was not being made on the assisted runner, the ball remains alive and in play. This is a double play. (Though not covered specifically in the Official Rules, this ruling is based on common sense and fair play. If the ball were instantly killed at the time of a coach's assist, the coach could always control the status of the ball by grabbing a nearby player.)

Sorry for the redundancy. Garth beat me to it.
The words, "Though not covered specifically in the Official Rules", tells me what I really need to know. Your and Garth's explanations make the rule much more clear to me now. Thanks to both.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

You're welcome.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
The words, "Though not covered specifically in the Official Rules", tells me what I really need to know.
What does this tell you other than there are interps in place to cover what isn't covered in the rule book? I hope that you meant that you will call it by this interp and not just rely on the book.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm wondering if anybody would have a different ruling on this play depending on the system of rules.

In other words, would your ruling be any different under OBR, FED, or NCAA? Or, would your ruling apply to all three?

By the way, a great video. Very instructive.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 02:30am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
From JEA:

Thanks, NFump, I truly appreciate your efforts in typing all of that from the JEA.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 08:14am
Veteran College Umpire

I agree with those who would administer the events in the order they happened. In looking at the video I would have called OBS (but not killed the ball), then called INT (and called the runner out). Though I'm not an NCAA Rules Editor, as a very experienced NCAA umpire that's what I would have ruled in an NCAA game.

GREAT video coverage!

JJ
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Thanks, NFump, I truly appreciate your efforts in typing all of that from the JEA.
No prob! I "appreciate" your "appreciation".
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
By the way, what do you have fitty? What would you call here? It was nice of you to appreciate my typing efforts and all but an answer would've been more appropriate.(And probably much more "appreciated")
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 02:06am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
By the way, what do you have fitty? What would you call here? It was nice of you to appreciate my typing efforts and all but an answer would've been more appropriate.(And probably much more "appreciated")
Third time I have answered this.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Really? Are you posting and deleting your posts a la Tyler? Or are you referring to another but similar thread? By my count post 51 is your first and this one (#55) is only your second. Unless you're posting under multiple monikers? You wouldn't be the first and I doubt you'll be the last.

It's alright you don't have to post an answer to the question. I understand completely.