The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree: if the batter kicks the ball intentionally, then he's out for interference.

But if the kick is unintentional, I'm not going to reward the defense for their error (the wild pitch or passed ball). Live ball, play on (unless, of course, the ball goes out of play on the accidental kick).
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional or not, if the batter kicks the ball he takes away the opportunity for the catcher to make a play. What if a batter unintentionally moves in front of the catcher on a throw.......what's the difference?
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D
Intentional or not, if the batter kicks the ball he takes away the opportunity for the catcher to make a play. What if a batter unintentionally moves in front of the catcher on a throw.......what's the difference?
The difference is the defensive error which preceded your first question. The batter can't be expected to know where the ball is when it's rolling around behind him, but he can be expected to stay in the box so as not to interfere with the catcher throwing to a base.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

I had this situation, Runner on 3B - Catcher drops the ball and it bounces toward the batter who kicks it 10 ft away backing out of the box (unintentionally??).

Your reasoning would give a run to the offense and take away an out from the defense.

What are you going to say to the screaming defensive coach?
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't say anything to screaming coaches, I just use my finger.

But if the coach asks me to justify my call, I would say, "Coach, in my judgment the batter kicked the ball unintentionally. By rule, that is not interference, live ball, play on. I will not punish the offense because your catcher missed the ball."

Edited to add: By the way, I don't "give" or "take" runs; I merely observe what occurs and enforce the rules.

Last edited by mbyron; Thu Sep 13, 2007 at 09:48am.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Screming defensive coaches don't get responses, they get tossed.

Reasoned defensive coaches get the truth. If they can't handle the truth, see above.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
"Coach, in my judgment the batter kicked the ball unintentionally. By rule, that is not interference, live ball, play on.
Enough said right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I will not punish the offense because your catcher missed the ball."
Don't say this to a coach. You started by directing the coach's issue to the rulebook, which is where he's mistaken. but this added statement redirects his ire toward YOU, and you're (at least to his ears) personal decision not to punish a particular player.

If you have to add this, instead say, "The rules do not punish the offense because of an error or situation initiated by the defense." Keep it impersonal.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had this situation, Runner on 3B - Catcher drops the ball and it bounces toward the batter who kicks it 10 ft away backing out of the box (unintentionally??).

Your reasoning would give a run to the offense and take away an out from the defense.

I hate this default response from so many of the posters here. First you attribute the "reasoning" to the umpire, when in fact it's the rules that provide the reasoning for this call. Second, you seem to defend the right to make a bad call by saying "If you call it right, how are you going to explain it to an irate coach!??!?!" as if that is motivation enough to call it wrong. I HATE it when posters retreat to this position. The possibility of creating an irate coach should never enter into our thought processes when making rulings.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Intent is a judgement call, by the umpire, but I'm not sure it even applies in this case

Looking at my NFHS baseball rules, they state:

A batter shall not:

Interfere with the catcher's fielding or throwing by:

c. making any other movement which hinders actions at home plate, or the catchers attempt to play on a runner.

In High school rules at least, there is no mention of intent.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
If you have to add this, instead say, "The rules do not punish the offense because of an error or situation initiated by the defense." Keep it impersonal.
That's probably good advice. I do like to point out to the D-coach when the defense's errors initiated a situation, but you're right to keep it impersonal.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Intent is a judgement call, by the umpire, but I'm not sure it even applies in this case

Looking at my NFHS baseball rules, they state:

A batter shall not:

Interfere with the catcher's fielding or throwing by:

c. making any other movement which hinders actions at home plate, or the catchers attempt to play on a runner.

In High school rules at least, there is no mention of intent.
Interference with a thrown ball must be intentional. Are you willing to be instructed?
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Interference by a runner on a thrown ball has to be intentional. Does the same go for the batter?

Is a pitch considered a thrown ball?

I'm not sure, but it seems to me kicking the ball is definitely interfering with the catcher's attempt to make a play.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like you have your answer, Michael.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interference by a runner on a thrown ball has to be intentional. Does the same go for the batter?

I'm not sure, but it seems to me kicking the ball is definitely interfering with the catcher's attempt to make a play.
1. Yes.

2. It depends, but that's irrelevant to the question about batter interference.

3. I've already answered the other one, and it seems to me that you don't or won't understand the rule.

You're starting to sound like a fanboy with a bad experience.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you asking real questions? Or just trying to stir the pot. You're not sure, and things SEEM to you ... blah blah blah. You might try cracking open the rulebook and you would KNOW things instead of having things "Seem" one way or another.

You should KNOW the answer to your first three questions, if you've had any experience with the rulebook at all, and your should SURELY know those answers before trying to debate the ruling on the OP.

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Thu Sep 13, 2007 at 02:22pm.