The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Would you have tossed him?

If anyone saw the Yankees/Redsox day game today, Joba Chamberlain threw two consecutive pitches over Kevin Youkalis' head. At the time, there was one out in the ninth inning with the Yankess leading 5-0. Nothing in the game or really even prior in the series would have made the Yankees want to throw at Youkalis.

Well Angel Hernandez steps out from behind the plate after the second pitch and tosses Chamberlain. I was kinda surprised as I was watching the game and it just didn't seem to me that Chamberlain had any intent to hit Youkalis.

I'm curious as to what you guys would have done in that situation.

For what it's worth, Chamberlain just looked stunned when Angel tossed him. I'm not even sure this 21 year old rookie realized what happened at first. Talk about a deer in headlights look, it was kinda funny.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

That's Angel being Angel (at least from what I've heard about him - don't know the man personally).

I doubt seriously this kid had any intention of hitting Uke. I'm sure it was more nerves and lack of control than anything. A comment to Georgie to go talk to him would have been enough IMO.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

After the first one, though the announcers claimed that the ball got away, I had my doubts. But the second one was definitely on purpose. The step and the arm were obviously aimed toward Youkilis, not the plate. You can almost always tell when a ball gets away—and that one didn't.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Let's, see. Chamberlain was hitting the mark fairly well. Posada setting up outside, pitch over Uke's head. Maybe Chamberlain got wild. Posada sets up outside, pitch obver Uke's head again..... hummmmm

GONE!
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliix
If anyone saw the Yankees/Redsox day game today, ............clipped................
For what it's worth, Chamberlain just looked stunned when Angel tossed him. I'm not even sure this 21 year old rookie realized what happened at first. Talk about a deer in headlights look, it was kinda funny.
Did you watch the game? That was not a wild pitch nor did he just all-of-a-sudden lose control. If you watched his release, the pitch was exacty where he wanted it; at Youk's head.

Deer in the headlights? You betcha! FNG thought he could fool Angel and got caught and spanked!

Kudos to Youk for not escalating. It was fun to watch that idiot get ejected.

Yep, I'dve ejected him too.

Last edited by Rcichon; Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 08:51pm.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

There's definitely a history there that I'm sure the umpires are aware of. The Red Sox have been accused of head hunting at Yankee batters (expecially ARod), with very little or no retaliation from NY.
Word is that Clemens has taken Jaba under his wing. Hmm. I wonder where he got the idea to take out Youkilis?
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Do you really think that Torre is going to send his, arguably, best reliever out there to throw at Youkilis considering that there is really no reason behind it. Seriously, Chamberlain is a kid. He's 21, a rookie who's just happy to be there. Nothing in the game or the series would warrant retaliation of that sort. That is what is mystifying is that there wasn't anything that happened that you would expect that kind of retaliation for. You really think that up 5-0, after having won 2 games and on the verge of winning a third that Torre wants to give the Redsox ANY reason to get fired up? Especially by throwing at a guys head.

If it's Clemens that did it or Proctor (who is now gone) I could see it. A veteran pitcher might do something like that. But a wet behind the ears rookie? Torre wasn't to happy when Proctor retaliated by plunking someone a couple months back and that was at least warranted. I just can't see Chamberlain doing that intentionally. Not on his own. And if Torre ordered it, he would own up to it. Not directly of course, that would be stupid, but you would be able to read between the lines during his answers in the post game interviews.

I just think Chamberlain tried to overthrow and the ball got away from him. Twice in basically the same spot looks bad, I agree. I just don't see it as intentional.

I may not like the ejection, but I can see why Hernandez would throw him out.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Proctor did do it, and to Youkilis. It resulted in Proctor being ejected back in June.

Maybe Youkilis had some comments regarding being called out for running out of the base line in avoiding A-Rod's tag earlier in the game. I don't know how you can state so adamantly that nothing happening in the game warranted an ejection for two pitches up and in from Chamberlain.

Cousins' was apparently watching closer than you. He said if you are going to pitch at that level, you need to be better at hitting the strike zone, and that it was time to put a lid on it.

Good ej, in my opinion.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 03:43am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Do you really think that Torre is going to send his, arguably, best reliever out there to throw at Youkilis considering that there is really no reason behind it. Seriously, Chamberlain is a kid. He's 21, a rookie who's just happy to be there. Nothing in the game or the series would warrant retaliation of that sort...I just think Chamberlain tried to overthrow and the ball got away from him. Twice in basically the same spot looks bad, I agree. I just don't see it as intentional.

I may not like the ejection, but I can see why Hernandez would throw him out.

Mixed bag of comments.

Bottom line - toss him.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

It's always OK to eject Yankees, just on general principles. You see, they exude this feeling of entitlement, as if baseball were their game...
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you really think that Torre is going to send his, arguably, best reliever out there to throw at Youkilis considering that there is really no reason behind it. Seriously, Chamberlain is a kid. He's 21, a rookie who's just happy to be there. ... But a wet behind the ears rookie?
This "wet behind the ears" rookie is a 21 year old Major League pitcher. By working his way up through MiLB, he has shown that he can control his pitches.

One pitch gets away, two pitches gets you ejected and maybe even your @$$ beat...

Good ejection.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Not one of us knows everything that went on (or was said) on the field. So to say that "nothing happened during the game or series" that would cause F1 to throw at a batter is a bold assertion for one to make having not been on the field for those three games.

Others can continue to make Angel comments ("Angel being Angel")...meanwhile, Angel will, likely, continue to pick up additional World Series logo patches to keep putting on his pullovers in the future.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

dont you think if Joba wanted to send a message he would of hit Ortiz instead of waiting for Youkilis. Some of the comments you guys make are way off base, makes me think your Boston fans who are upset that they got swept, relax guys your still up five games.

The poor young man was most likely trying to overthrow the ball, the ball mightve been wet.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:00am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Do you really think that Torre is going to send his, arguably, best reliever out there to throw at Youkilis considering that there is really no reason behind it.
Maybe that being the wet-behind the ears rookie that he is, Chamberlin decided to throw at Youk on his own accord. Maybe Youk insulted his momma, maybe Angel only had one more ejection to go before he got his free toaster.

Flores, are you a Yankee fan by chance?

I would've run him.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores

The poor young man was most likely trying to overthrow the ball, the ball mightve been wet.
He he he... a wet ball during an afternoon game at Yankee Stadium? It was 85* and sunny ... he he he