The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have any one thing that just gets their goat and earns an automatic ejection.

Obviously arguing balls and strikes is high on the list.

I have to deal with my scorekeeper (aka my wife) making snide comments within earshot of the PU. While I may have the same feelings, I keep them silent as I known I cannot see what the PU sees.

I do communicate with my catcher as to whether my pitcher is throwing outside or inside and he needs to move in or out to correct as necessary.

Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not have any "automatics" when it comes to ejections.

I do have things that will get my attention. When you get personal with comments or question my integrity or the integrity of my partner's, then I will have a problem with that. It does not mean it is automatic, just something that will be addressed. Depending on the severity of the act or comments, there might not be an ejection on the spot.

I also do not tolerate much conversation or debate from assistant coaches.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 01:55pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Balls and Strikes

I was told at a brief clinic last night:

When a coach argues Balls and Strikes from the bench:
  • 1st Time -> Ignore
  • 2nd Time -> Acknowledge
  • 3rd Time -> Warn
  • 4th Time -> Eject

If the coach comes onto the field to complain -> Eject immediately.

Thoughts?
    mick
    Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 01:56pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace
    I sure do. A loud F-bomb aimed at me or my judgment will send a coach to the bus right now. Drawing in the dirt: also gone. Bumping me: out of here. Accuse me of cheating: See ya.

Close to automatic: any civilian in the dugout or assistant coach who isn't smart enough to shut up after once warned.

That said, I went the last four years without an ejection at the high school level. This year, though, I've had three. Each of those three violated an "automatic."
    Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 02:12pm
    Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
    Originally posted by GarthB
    Quote:

Peace
    I sure do. A loud F-bomb aimed at me or my judgment will send a coach to the bus right now. Drawing in the dirt: also gone. Bumping me: out of here. Accuse me of cheating: See ya.
    I have never seen nor heard anyone do that in a game I was working. So for me, I am not going to call that an "automatic" ejection. I have never heard someone call a person a racial slur either. I do not like to deal with a hypothetical, I like to deal with real world situations that have either happened or I have experienced. All these things are possible, but many of them have never happened to me. I have had a batter draw dirt in the sand and I did not eject. I sent a message and the message was received.

Peace
    Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 03:02pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Balls and Strikes

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick

• 1st Time -> Ignore
  • 3rd Time -> Warn
  • 4th Time -> Eject

Thoughts?
    mick
  • I would eliminate 1 and go straight to 2.

1. I hear ya coach.

2. I don't want to hear you again coach.

3. You're gone coach.

If the coach comes onto the field to complain -> Eject immediately. Agree!
    Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 04:47pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by stmaryrams
    Does anyone have any one thing that just gets their goat and earns an automatic ejection.
    1. Coach gets personal - "you're useless/horrible/hor$hit"

2. Coach bumps me.

3. The F-bomb that can be heard by all (I do nothing under JV)

4. Depending on my mood, if the coach is arguing with me and he hasn't brushed his teeth, I'll dump him! kidding!
    Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 04:58pm
    Official Forum Member

"I have to deal with my scorekeeper (aka my wife) making snide comments within earshot of the PU."

If the scorekeepers are in a scorebooth, I remind them that they are part of the game officials. Either hold the comments, or leave the booth. If they are in the dugout, I considere them team personnel. "Coach/manager, control your scorekeeper, or she/he will have to vacate the dugout". If the scorekeeper is outside the fence, as long as they're not vulgar, I ignored them.

Bob
    Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 06:33pm
    M.A.S.H.

Quote:

• 1st Time -> Ignore
  • 3rd Time -> Warn
  • 4th Time -> Eject

Thoughts?
    mick

• I'll agree this is a pretty good process. However, most of the time, I just ignore them anyways. But if I acknowledge their comments it's going to be with a warning.

Quote:
    Quote:

Peace

Close to automatic: any civilian in the dugout or assistant coach who isn't smart enough to shut up after once warned.

That said, I went the last four years without an ejection at the high school level. This year, though, I've had three. Each of those three violated an "automatic."
    I think Garth nailed my list as well. Only difference (and it's probably true for all states), but bumping me or any official is going to get you an ejection and probably something else from the state.

[Edited by tjones1 on Apr 27th, 2005 at 07:38 PM]
    Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:13pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:

• 1st Time -> Ignore
  • 3rd Time -> Warn
  • 4th Time -> Eject

Thoughts?
    mick
  • In the 6th inning of a game last Friday I call a Ball, and hear "Blue, has the strike zone changed in the late innings" out of the right side dugout. I turn to look and the head coach is 10 feet out of the dugout in my direction. I asked "are your arguing strikes and balls" and he says "well I guess I am". So I say "well you are restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game". This is not an ejection offense in my state, but one to restrict to the dugout. If the coach is on the field eject or restrict, whatever is appropriate for your area.
    Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:16pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Peace
    I have never seen nor heard anyone do that in a game I was working. So for me, I am not going to call that an "automatic" ejection. I have never heard someone call a person a racial slur either. I do not like to deal with a hypothetical, I like to deal with real world situations that have either happened or I have experienced. All these things are possible, but many of them have never happened to me. I have had a batter draw dirt in the sand and I did not eject. I sent a message and the message was received.

Peace
    I tossed a college player in a summer wood bat league two summers ago, when he said to me after making a call on the bases "you are F**king kidding". It was an instantaneouse ejection. So yes, I have some automatics.

I also had a pretty ugly argument after a call at 2B 3 years ago. After making the call I turned to my left and the 3B coach (head guy) was in my face already. He had to have sprinted on the field. It has not happened since but if anyone sprints at me they will be gone before they get there.

[Edited by DG on Apr 27th, 2005 at 11:19 PM]
    Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 07:02am
    Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
    Quote:

Peace

A "civilian" in the dugout should know better than to open his or her mouth. If I have to address such a person, they're gone.
    Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 07:04am
    Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Balls and Strikes

Quote:
    Originally posted by DG
    Quote:

• 1st Time -> Ignore
  • 3rd Time -> Warn
  • 4th Time -> Eject

Thoughts?
    mick
  • In the 6th inning of a game last Friday I call a Ball, and hear "Blue, has the strike zone changed in the late innings" out of the right side dugout. I turn to look and the head coach is 10 feet out of the dugout in my direction. I asked "are your arguing strikes and balls" and he says "well I guess I am". So I say "well you are restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game". This is not an ejection offense in my state, but one to restrict to the dugout. If the coach is on the field eject or restrict, whatever is appropriate for your area.
    Arguing balls and strikes and then being stupid enough to admit it would probably earn an ejection.

Why would you say it's not an ejectable offense in your state. Were you given specific guidance on this by the state, and if so please tell me where this is so I don't accidentally move there.
    Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 08:30am
    Official Forum Member

AGREED!

Quote:
    Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
    Quote:
    Originally posted by DG
    Quote:

• 1st Time -> Ignore
  • 3rd Time -> Warn
  • 4th Time -> Eject

Thoughts?
    mick
    Arguing balls and strikes and then being stupid enough to admit it would probably earn an ejection.

Why would you say it's not an ejectable offense in your state. Were you given specific guidance on this by the state, and if so please tell me where this is so I don't accidentally move there.
    That would be crazy. The restriction is a good idea but it just don't seem to work. All you are going to have now is a coach sitting in the dugout chirping about balls and strikes.

My BU had a Asst. coach arguing a call at first last week in playoff game. The call was not that close IMO as I was following the BR up the line following a bunt.

I saw my BU motion to the dugout so I knew he was restricting him to dugout. What followed was about as immature display by a coach - thought it was Lou Panella on the field. Needless to say he was history, but just reminds me that all a restriction does it make them mad.

Thanks
    David

Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:37am
    Official Forum Member

Automatics

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Peace

Peace
    I have to agree with GB. I had a pitcher in one game that kept mouthing off about the strike zone ( I was BU), warned him about the language (SH&^, Bullsh__, and others). He kept it up a little more and dropped a VERY LOUD F-bomb as he walked off the mound after being pulled. We got to go home early, because they were out of players (only 9).

The other auto was when a HC accused me of cheating and making up rules. When he called time and brought the book out to discuss, I told him that I was not going to take the time to show him where it was, his next statement was "that is because you are making this SH__ up as you go!" Needless to say that this was a highly rated team that for some reason was getting the snot beat out of them.