The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 22, 2000, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I did not watch early innings of game 2. But just read the stories on Sportsline. According to what I read... RC took the piece of Piazza broken bat and "angrily threw" it at HIM, missing him by "just a few feet". Who saw this? Is this accurate?

If so... how in the world does this act not warrant an immediate EJECTION?! Taking a piece of broken bat and throwing at an opposition player... uh, was this discussed during the broadcast?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2000, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Roger Clemons through a fastball inside and SHATTERED Mike Piaza's bat. The top part of the bat flew out toward Clemons. Piaza was headed toward first base on the foul ball and Clemons picked up the part of the bat that flew at hime tossed it toward Piaza. When Clemons tossed the broken piece, it bounced about 15 feet from Piaza and went end-over-end toward him. It probably came within 2 or 3 feet of hitting him. The benches cleared and both players remained in the game.

If I had been calling that game, I would have tossed Clemons! It certainly wasn't Piaza's fault that his bat broke and flew out there toward him.

Anyway, the press is probably going to sensationalize this event and it will be talked about for weeks to come!
Old Mon Oct 23, 2000, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down RC's response:

Asked about the incident on ESPN Radio immediately after the game, RC said: (1) he didn't know that Piazza would run toward first on the foul ball, and wasn't throwing at him, but rather throwing the bat to the bat boy; and (2) he wouldn't apologize because "there was no intent." Because it was on radio, we couldn't see his nose growing longer.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2000, 11:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Did not throw at him.

I know that I am the minority here, but I do not think RC was throwing at Piazza at all!!! The bat came right at RC and as a reaction he threw the bat out of the way. I saw this play several times and I do not believe by his reaction and Piazza's reaction that he was trying to throw the bat at him. This is my opinion and I think the umpires used good judgement. Many times you can look at the reaction of the players and if RC was throwing the bat at Piazza, then he would not have been looking for the ball after he almost hit Piazza, he would be prepared to fight. And if Piazza really felt that he was thrown at, he would have charged the mound no matter what. But that is my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayes Davis
Quote:
Originally posted by Virginia Umpire
All in all, I am very surprised how little was made of this incident by both teams. Ordinarilly the batter would have charged the mound and both benches would have emptied and punches would have been thrown. In this case the Mets displayed a relative token protest, Valentine didn't make an extended beef. Even Major League Baseball probably wanted Clemmens in the game.

I would have ejected any pitcher in a High School or College game for this. But, alas, who am I? If I ejected him in the Majors in the World Series I probably wouldn't work again. None of those people in Yankee Stadium came to watch the umpire.
Perhaps a "bench-clearer" would have helped the Mets. So far they don't really seem motivated. Not that I really care which team ends up winning the whole thing but I'd like to at least see some fire from the Mets and maybe a good series.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2000, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I think Clemens had heard that it was a possibility that someone (perhaps even Piazza) might let a bat fly out of their hands during the game. I think he reacted as though that's what happened, even though a moment's thought would have told him that was not possible in this case. Or he may have reacted in anger to the potential danger to himself when he saw the broken bat flying towards him.

If I had done what Clemens did, I think I might have said that I threw the bat in anger because I almost was hit with a dangerous object. I would have said that I never saw Piazza running to first. But I would have made sure to make an apology of some kind. It was not sufficient to report to the umpire, "My bad, my bad." Clemens may not have intended to hit Piazza with the broken bat, but his explanations sound very weak.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2000, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Roger should have been tossed. I think it set the wrong tone for the rest of the games.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2000, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Let Frank Do It. 50,000 times

Frank Robinson fine is based upon "inappropriate conduct", regardless of RC's intent, unlike the umpire, whose decision to eject is be governed by whether it was intentional.

Will we have a "let Frank deal with it" rule for the rest of the series that encourages umpires to duck hard choices in front of angry NY fans?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2000, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

A Fine - Give me a break

Let me start by saying I am a Yankee fan. What Clemens did was stupid. I don't think ejection was necessary. But who does Robinson really hurt with a $50,000 ?? Clemens - I don't think so. Clemens makes about 10 Million these days! Do the math. That's a .5% (.005) fine of his salary (forget endorsements and everything else). Calculate that against your salary and then remember how much more he makes.
THE FINE WAS A JOKE. Who benefits from the fine, where does that money go? To Robinson or others from the MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL offices. Better Hotels and 1st class flights... If MLB donates that money to charity, least then it could do some good!

[Edited by DrC. on Oct 25th, 2000 at 02:28 PM]
Old Wed Oct 25, 2000, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
A few points from me...

If the crew felt that Clemens did not intentionally throw the bat at Piazza, he should've remained in the game. ML players have been throwing their bats for decades without being tossed. Good call by the crew. They used their judgment and, based on that, made the right decision. If Clemens had been tossed we'd all be talking about the umpires deciding the fate of a World Series game. Don't forget the Yankees have no bullpen.

When Robinson levies a fine, it must be overdone. He has learned from the John Rocker episode. Rocker was fined $20,000. His appeal got him $500. Clemens won't be paying more than $1000 once all is said and done. To a player making $17 million, this is not even a slap on the wrist.

Robinson had to react, and react quickly. This topic just keeps going and going. It was a major distraction to the Series. The media wouldn't let it go, the fans wouldn't let it go. Robinson's fine was a big step in putting this episode behind MLB. That was its intent. It was not intended to actually be a sanction. Suspension would have been a sanction.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, when pro sports commissioners (did I spell that right?) level fines - in this case for $50,000 - they are merely scolding the offender, but since the dollar figures involved seem like a lot of money to US, our perceptions is, "Wow! That's a big fine!". And, unfortunately, that convinces a large number of fans that a "hard line" is being taken. As officials who love our sport, we know better. But at least the scolding is there...