The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I need to get a hold of the PA softball rules interpreter. He has told PA FED umpires a story of a case he had to give a deposition on for West Virginia. The umpires hadn't walked the field before the game,sometime during the game a advertisement sign(one of the metal ones) was found near the foul line. The umpire placed the sign outside the fence.Later the wind picked up the sign and it hit a student cutting them. The city(its field,high school and umpires were all found guilty of negligence for the sign being there. Does anyone else here in PA remember this being told?
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlue
I need to get a hold of the PA softball rules interpreter. He has told PA FED umpires a story of a case he had to give a deposition on for West Virginia. The umpires hadn't walked the field before the game,sometime during the game a advertisement sign(one of the metal ones) was found near the foul line. The umpire placed the sign outside the fence.Later the wind picked up the sign and it hit a student cutting them. The city(its field,high school and umpires were all found guilty of negligence for the sign being there. Does anyone else here in PA remember this being told?
Actually I heard about this - I think it was in our college rules clinic. The way I heard it was they found the sign during their walk of the field and tossed it over the fence. The sign didn't hit a student but rather a parent. And yes, from what I remember of the story, they were sued. I don't know where it happened in WV though.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to have to email the gentleman in question and find out.