The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 01:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
The "takeout" was like many I have seen in the past in MLB. The runner was in reach of the base but his intent to break up the DP was clear.

I was surprised to see INT called with 2 outs and runner returned to 3B because I don't recall seeing this anytime in the past in MLB when the runner was within reach of the bag. The ruling did not come immediately and the fact that an umpire discussion was held before making the call is significant.

For those that don't remember, look up Pete Rose vs. Ray Fosse to see what MLB will allow by rule, or lack thereof. Compared to many, many collisions at the plate, or around 2B, I have seen over the years in MLB this was not worth the attention given to it.
First, this does not compare to Pete vs. Ray. Pete was actually attempting to score a run. Fosse was blocking the plate. Rose just barreled into him to dislodge the ball and score a run. Pete's goal was the plate. That is a noble reason to cream the catcher. Don't stand on the tracks when the choo-choo is coming, unless you want to get knocked on your bootay.

The runner, Carlos Ruiz, was not attempting to advance to, or even reach out and touch, the base. His only intention was to break up the double play. By MLB interpretation, the runner has to be able to reach the base when breaking up a double play. Ruiz was not able to do this, because his only focus was on taking out Marcus Giles and throwing bows while he was at it. It was not a legitimate attempt to reach the base.

Second, the reason that so much attention is being given to it is because he severely injured Giles on the play, possibly ending his season. He is on the 15 day DL, but they are talking season ending. I would say it deserves some attention, as it was a cheap shot and was totally uncalled for.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Jay Bell when he played for the Pirates had a great way of guys coming in late and right at him. It was called throwing straight for first base at head level! Either get down and slide or catch one right between the headlights. Wouldn't work at FED level but at the Pros I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 01:25am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlue
Jay Bell when he played for the Pirates had a great way of guys coming in late and right at him. It was called throwing straight for first base at head level! Either get down and slide or catch one right between the headlights.
I have heard this a 1,000 times, not faulting you PA, but its hogwash. Bell and a 1,000 others may have said it, but it is more fantasy than reality.