The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
UMPIRES are supposed to be EXCELLENT and NEUTRAL. I would say that MILLION-dollar TV contracts = the best umpires you can find!
Maybe that is the way LL wants the game to look. Amateurish. It is an amateur sport with unpaid officials. Would they be who they really are if the officials were uncommonly expert?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Maybe that is the way LL wants the game to look. Amateurish. It is an amateur sport with unpaid officials. Would they be who they really are if the officials were uncommonly expert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
No, they would be better.
The game would be better officiated my contention is that LL may want to project an image that is closer to reality or the perception of LL reality. They pay a lot of money to people who tell them what their branding or image should be, maybe that is what is being told to LL. Be thyself.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Well, I do a heckuva lot of it during the regular season, serve on our district staff and I have worked regionals and I'm waiting for my WS now.
If you would, clear the mystery as to how LL appointed this year's WS umpires.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Well . . . I would if I could. Trust me, every year it becomse more mysterious to me too.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
[email protected]

I'm sure after the series has ended Mr. Konyar will be happy to answer your questions on how the appointments were made.

Tim.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Faster K

Quote:
Game times so far (from box scores):

2:13, 2:43, 2:01, 2:08, 2:15, 1:55, 2:45, 1:56, 2:06, 2:03, 1:59, 1:41, 1:38, 1:29. Only two really excessive.
I doubt 30 LL batters will strike out in less than a 2 hour time limit.
Please cite the reference to determine the quality of a 3-hour, 6-inning baseball game using a game clock.
Sorry some of you missed a few minutes of your nightly ESPN sport show.
Cue ESPN theme: DA-DA-DA, pause, DA-DA-DA
The LLWS umpiring on TV hasn't been nearly as bad as the whiny LLWS umpire bias.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The game would be better officiated my contention is that LL may want to project an image that is closer to reality or the perception of LL reality. They pay a lot of money to people who tell them what their branding or image should be, maybe that is what is being told to LL. Be thyself.

Quote:
They would be "being themselves" by projecting a better perception because they would be better.

If they are paying "a lot of money to people who tell them what their branding or image should be", they deserve a huge refund.

And, if the message they are hearing is to act unprofessional and don't improve from year to year, the only one's listening are the umpires. The kids and coaches sure aren't getting that message.
LL is TV. What works for TV is what TV marketing people advise which may not have any relationship with excellence on the field.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 11:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Well . . . I would if I could. Trust me, every year it becomse more mysterious to me too.
I'm in Williamsport right now. Watching my friend work the World Series. Hasn't missed a call and had a few tough ones, including a ball correctly called foul (as close as possible without being fair) in his first game on Saturday. Still hasn't done a plate due to today's rainout.

My friend works HS varsity and 3 college conferences.

The bashing of the umpires has grown tiresome. I saw 2 outstanding plate guys work last night. Not sure I could've done any better. I saw some good work on the bases, too. I'm just here enjoying myself....but I'm leaving tomorrow.

The selection process is a mystery, sure. You have to work a district, state, and regional at a level before you can be assigned. You have to apply and be recommended by your DA and the region. There's more, I'm sure.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
[email protected]

I'm sure after the series has ended Mr. Konyar will be happy to answer your questions on how the appointments were made.

Tim.

Thanks, Tim.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'm in Williamsport right now. Watching my friend work the World Series. Hasn't missed a call and had a few tough ones, including a ball correctly called foul (as close as possible without being fair) in his first game on Saturday. Still hasn't done a plate due to today's rainout.

My friend works HS varsity and 3 college conferences.
So, of course, LL puts him on the foul line. Great use of resources.

Quote:
The bashing of the umpires has grown tiresome. I saw 2 outstanding plate guys work last night. Not sure I could've done any better. I saw some good work on the bases, too.
Not everyingthing is bashing. Good plate work last night was mentioned. However, there is still, overall, IMO, a decline in quality from last year. Sometimes it is extremely noticeable.

If the comments are annoying you, you can always use the approach Ives recommends, change the channel or find the off button.
]
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Llws Umpires

Umpires should have first called for their local league under the direction of a local UIC.

They are then selected by that league's DA (District Administrator) to an Area, District, or Sectional Tournament.

If DA feels Umpire is ready, the next step would be an assignment to the State Tournament.

At the DA's discretion, the umpire is then recommended to the Regional Tournament. This must be done by the DA, and all proper forms must be signed by the DA, then submitted to the Regional HQ before the deadline set by LL.

( Tournament application, volunteer form, copy of valid photo ID) This is an annual process until accepted.

Once accepted by Regional Director, the Umpire will recieve an invite to work that year's regional tourny where he will be evaluated by that Region's UIC. This person along with the Regional Director will determine if the Umpire recieves a LLWS recommendation or not.

Yes = Each year, the umpire must submit proper forms to the Regional HQ and THEY MUST BE SIGNED BY THAT UMPIRES DA. Your name is placed in a ever growing pool of names where they may or may not ever get a LLWS assignment, totally at the discretion of the Regional Director and Regional UIC.

No = You may or may not be invited back for another Regional in the near future where you will again be evaluated.

There are two important facts to know from this point.

1. Every year each Region brings in at least 8 new faces to call the Regional while at the same time, are alloted on average 2 LLWS invites. You can do the math.

2. Andy Konyar and other LL Administrators can only work with what is sent to them by the Regional Directors. Of course they will try to allocate assignments accordingly, but no matter how good it looks on paper, you will still be watching Little League Players, Managers, and Umpires.

Most come here and do a fine job, they just don't look like professionals on TV. There is a valid reason for that...

My schedule tomorrow (Tuesday)

3:00 - 2B

6:00 - RF

Do your worst
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 06:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE
Umpires should have first called for their local league under the direction of a local UIC.

They are then selected by that league's DA (District Administrator) to an Area, District, or Sectional Tournament.

If DA feels Umpire is ready, the next step would be an assignment to the State Tournament.

At the DA's discretion, the umpire is then recommended to the Regional Tournament. This must be done by the DA, and all proper forms must be signed by the DA, then submitted to the Regional HQ before the deadline set by LL.

( Tournament application, volunteer form, copy of valid photo ID) This is an annual process until accepted.

Once accepted by Regional Director, the Umpire will recieve an invite to work that year's regional tourny where he will be evaluated by that Region's UIC. This person along with the Regional Director will determine if the Umpire recieves a LLWS recommendation or not.

Yes = Each year, the umpire must submit proper forms to the Regional HQ and THEY MUST BE SIGNED BY THAT UMPIRES DA. Your name is placed in a ever growing pool of names where they may or may not ever get a LLWS assignment, totally at the discretion of the Regional Director and Regional UIC.

No = You may or may not be invited back for another Regional in the near future where you will again be evaluated.

1. Every year each Region brings in at least 8 new faces to call the Regional while at the same time, are alloted on average 2 LLWS invites. You can do the math.

2. Andy Konyar and other LL Administrators can only work with what is sent to them by the Regional Directors. Of course they will try to allocate assignments accordingly, but no matter how good it looks on paper, you will still be watching Little League Players, Managers, and Umpires.

Most come here and do a fine job, they just don't look like professionals on TV. There is a valid reason for that...

My schedule tomorrow (Tuesday)

3:00 - 2B

6:00 - RF

Do your worst
Your schedule for today is: Sit around and look at it raining. Good luck the rest of the way.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 06:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
So, of course, LL puts him on the foul line. Great use of resources.

Not everyingthing is bashing. Good plate work last night was mentioned. However, there is still, overall, IMO, a decline in quality from last year. Sometimes it is extremely noticeable.

If the comments are annoying you, you can always use the approach Ives recommends, change the channel or find the off button.
]
I'm not annoyed, just wonder what is being accomplished is all. I guess all the exposure open up all the criticism. It's probably fair, just repetitive

I'm in the system myself, as you know. I'm the rare LL umpire who doesn't desire Williamsport above all else. Since I worked a Senior regional, I'll be applying for the Senior World Series first, as a week in Bangor, Maine working good 15-16 baseball appeals to me. Then there is a Big League Division I may look into -- we just don't play it locally.

But I can understand why guys want to work Williamsport. It's a well-run tournament and also happens to be on national TV.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
yah, well, the same could be said for the CDreamPark ripoff, but umps who laff at that mess just LUV how w-port does bisiness. go figure.

you just said it:

"we could make it beter, we have the money to do so, the kids deserve beter umpiring....but..we just deliberately choose to display a inferoir product. and those who are shafted are used to it and it dont hurt so bad now"

thanks for proving my point!

Actually, CDP requires each team to bring an umpire so it's pot luck. LL at least has a progression and selection process.

The LL "product" could also be improved if LL didn't restrict the geographical area players can be drawn from. It could be improved if LL used formally trained and certified coaches.

It's not going to happen. LL is a collection of community based volunteer organizations. That is what it is meant to be. It's going to stay like that.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE

End of mystery, thank you.