The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with basically everything you said.. it would be good to work together prior. But since LL uses no rotations with 6-man, there should be no issues. The ones you mentioned aren't issues, they're simple. I can't for, for the life of me, figure out why LL has U2 coming in on all fly balls. The coverage is simple, but he's the closest one to those shots to CF. Perhaps LL just doesn't trust the rotations??

You're also right about the coaches. I'm not sure how they do it, besides being afraid of being banned. There was one I saw in Regionals that should have been gone. Don't remember which game, but a run scored on a swinging past ball and the runner was a little shaken up. R1 advanced to third from first. D coach was arguing someone called time for the hurt player so runner has to return. Didn't happen. Next inning, coach asks for time from UP (in the middle of an inning) and runs from umpire to umpire asking them if they called time earlier. UGLY!
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 04:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktownBlue
There was one I saw in Regionals that should have been gone. Don't remember which game, but a run scored on a swinging past ball and the runner was a little shaken up. R1 advanced to third from first. D coach was arguing someone called time for the hurt player so runner has to return. Didn't happen. Next inning, coach asks for time from UP (in the middle of an inning) and runs from umpire to umpire asking them if they called time earlier. UGLY!
Yeah, I saw that too. I didn't know why he was doing it, but I thought to myself, "why are the umpires permitting this?"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

I was selected and worked the Big League Western Regionals this year in Washington and have first hand knowledge of the "critique" system used by the staff. You are "encouraged" to add flair to your called and swinging 3rd strike. It's a "do it our way or not at all" feeling. That could be why you see some of the mechanics that you're seeing. JMHO.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
I was selected and worked the Big League Western Regionals this year in Washington and have first hand knowledge of the "critique" system used by the staff. You are "encouraged" to add flair to your called and swinging 3rd strike. It's a "do it our way or not at all" feeling. That could be why you see some of the mechanics that you're seeing. JMHO.
Any reason why this is encouraged?
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Any reason why this is encouraged?
Television?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Television?
Sounds to me like LL marketeering.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Flair to a swinging third strike? That's friggin' nuts!

How about a big windup with a verbal "You're OUT, 'cause you swung at a ball in the dirt, so go home and learn how to hit!"

Now that would be some flair. Seriously, I'd tell him I'm not there to show up the batter after he Ks. That's just stupid, bush-league umpiring.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 02:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktownBlue
Flair to a swinging third strike? That's friggin' nuts!

How about a big windup with a verbal "You're OUT, 'cause you swung at a ball in the dirt, so go home and learn how to hit!"

Now that would be some flair. Seriously, I'd tell him I'm not there to show up the batter after he Ks. That's just stupid, bush-league umpiring.
The way I read Klokard was more like:

Quote:
... You are "encouraged" to add flair to your called and [to your] swinging 3rd strike. It's a "do it our way or not at all" feeling. That could be why you see some of the mechanics that you're seeing. JMHO.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Maybe in your region, but not in mine. I was not asked to do anything different than I do in any game I work. And I didn't.