Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller

Thanks Bob,

For those who have been denegrating my posts please reread posts 8 and 11 without prejudice and tell me how I've bent, misapplied or made up additional rules relative to this topic.
My interps on the above rule were right on, if I do say so myself.
I think some on this forum are so prejudice it blinds them from understanding basic principles of a post.
I wonder if those who prejudge posts also prejudge plays on the field?
The rule:
Quote:
Fed 7.2.1B "In bunting, any movement of the bat toward the ball when the ball is over or near the plate area, is a strike. The mere holding of the bat in the strike zone is not an attempt to hit the ball."
From Post 8
Quote:
In other words, if the batter shows zero attempt to pull back, I'll probably see an attempt.
From Post 11
Quote:
All I'm saying is that I rarely see a batter who is too lazy to pull the bat back also be able to remain motionless.
What you're saying is you're going to disregard the part of the rule that states, "The mere holding of the bat in the strike zone is not an attempt to hit the ball" and you're going to rule - no, wait... judge this as an attempt. I think we all hear you loud and clear.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
The rule:

From Post 8

From Post 11

What you're saying is you're going to disregard the part of the rule that states, "The mere holding of the bat in the strike zone is not an attempt to hit the ball" and you're going to rule - no, wait... judge this as an attempt. I think we all hear you loud and clear.
That would appear to be correct, walt.
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule:

From Post 8
Are you incapable of putting this statement in context with the rest of the post?

Quote:
From Post 11

What you're saying is you're going to disregard the part of the rule that states, "The mere holding of the bat in the strike zone is not an attempt to hit the ball"
Show me one statement in context that says that.

Quote:
and you're going to rule - no, wait... judge this as an attempt. I think we all hear you loud and clear.
Either you have a severe problem with comprehension and understanding the written word or you're so prejudice you can't read straight.
which is it?
Old Sat Aug 04, 2007, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Nah, he got it right. You're trying to get away with calling it "judgement". Nice try.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=fitump56][quote=bob jenkins]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
"AN IDIOT WHO LEAVES HIS BAT TO BUNT at our near the plate IS ASSUMED TO BE STRIKING THE BASEBALL ....as far as I am concerned.

Not as far as I'm concerned, that's for sure. For one thing, I actually know what the definition of a bunt is--and it's different from a swing. Unless he's actually making an attempt to push the bat forward when the ball passes the bat, I've got a ball and not a strike. That, in fact, is the ruling, and not the UOBR interpretation some here seem to believe.

Of course, we all know what happens when we try to @ssume...
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 12:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Bob, I know I have seen it somewhere, but isn't there an OBR version of this statement? I scoured my rule book looking for it and can't find it. Perhaps you can tell me exactly where I've seen this interpretation. Is it in a manual somewhere?
Can someone please answer this question? It's bugging me. I'm sure I've seen it in OBR somewhere but I just can't find it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 12:40am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Unless he's actually making an attempt to push the bat forward when the ball passes the bat, I've got a ball and not a strike.
Forward is it? Not what the rule says, the rule says "at" the ball. So you would not call a strike if B drops or raises his bat vertically with no forward push if the ball is above or below his bat, in an obvious attempt to bunt? I guess not.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Either you have a severe problem with comprehension and understanding the written word or you're so prejudice you can't read straight.
which is it?
Okay, Don. I'll play along. Let's suspend reality for a moment and assume that my comprehension skills are deficient. Go ahead and put your statements in terms that I can understand.

Make it succinct, because between what you've written in this thread and what you've said in the OBS thread you don't appear to have a lot of credibility.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, Don. I'll play along. Let's suspend reality for a moment and assume that my comprehension skills are deficient. Go ahead and put your statements in terms that I can understand.

Make it succinct, because between what you've written in this thread and what you've said in the OBS thread you don't appear to have a lot of credibility.
Simply put:

It is very difficult to remain motionless when squared to bunt.
If there is any movement forward or toward the ball I will strike it.
The benefit of doubt will certainly be in favor of F1.
If the batter makes no attempt to pull back I will look hard for an attempt.
You may not like that attitude but it is within the rules.
My op was a heads up to flemmer (I figured he was a coach) and other coaches that to teach kids to keep the bat over the plate, for whatever reason, may not be a good idea.
I was not trying to talk you out of giving up strikes.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the batter makes no attempt to pull back I will look hard for an attempt.
I disagree with this statement. (Okay, to be clear, I don't disagree that Don does it; I disagree that he, or any umpire, should do it).

An umpire needn't "look hard" for an attempt. He just needs to watch the actions and judge accordingly.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Forward is it? Not what the rule says, the rule says "at" the ball. So you would not call a strike if B drops or raises his bat vertically with no forward push if the ball is above or below his bat, in an obvious attempt to bunt? I guess not.
It's obvious you don't even know the definition of the word "push" now.

When you come to an exit door that says "push," do you yank real hard and wonder why it won't open?
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Can someone please answer this question? It's bugging me. I'm sure I've seen it in OBR somewhere but I just can't find it.
This should be sufficient:

OBR 2.00

A STRIKE is a legal pitch when so called by the umpire, which -

(a) Is struck at by the batter and is missed;
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=UMP25][QUOTE=fitump56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

Not as far as I'm concerned, that's for sure. For one thing, I actually know what the definition of a bunt is--and it's different from a swing. Unless he's actually making an attempt to push the bat forward when the ball passes the bat, I've got a ball and not a strike. That, in fact, is the ruling, and not the UOBR interpretation some here seem to believe.

Of course, we all know what happens when we try to @ssume...
Question.

Obvious sac situation, batter squares early, bat across the plate and at the very top of strike zone. F1 delivers, pitch is 1" above the bat and out of the zone, batter makes no offer, no movement, ball misses bat by 1".
Who's going to be the first brave soul to step up and say they're balling this pitch?
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Question.

Obvious sac situation, batter squares early, bat across the plate and at the very top of strike zone. F1 delivers, pitch is 1" above the bat and out of the zone, batter makes no offer, no movement, ball misses bat by 1".
Who's going to be the first brave soul to step up and say they're balling this pitch?
I'll be the first. No movement, no attempt. It's pretty cut and dry, Don.

Tim.
Old Sun Aug 05, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Question.

Mr. Mueller,

Done it once this year. Did it twice last year.

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White