Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Rabbit Ears and Violent Dissaproval

Where do we draw the line?

There was a post about Torii Hunter recently being ejected from the dugout in an earlier thread that got me thinking about how much we're to consider too much when a dugout goes on a tirade over a call.

If it persists after a warning and you're not exactly sure who it is that's raising Hell, who do you toss, if anyone at all?

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

If your warning went along the lines of "Skipper, I don't know who's doing the jawing, but I'm putting you in charge of making it stop", the answer is pretty clear.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Over the years on a lot of different Forums I have seen this same thread come up. It has been answered in a lot of different ways.

I will answer it the way I handled it. This was a HS varsity baseball game between two rivals:

The bench was chirping about the strike zone and between innings I talked to the home HC and stated, "Coach, control you bench there will be no arguing of balls and strikes". That was all I said to the coach.

In the bottom of the 4th inning with 1 out, I heard the birds again. I called time. Walked over to the bench and the first person I came to I pointed and said "you, you're gone for arguing balls and strikes." The person standing next to him piped up and said "It wasn't him". I pointed at that person and said "You, you're gone for arguing balls and strikes." By that time the HC had gotten there form 3rd base and started yelling at his bench. I stood there while he talked to them.

The HC and I went about 15 feet away and had a discussion about bench conduct. I stated "Coach every time I have to stop the game because of your bench, somebody is going home early."

The HC went back to his bench and for the rest of the game his bench was very very quiet.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Had a junior game(19-21 year olds) the other night, batter up with a count of 2-2, next pitch is about an inch inside and I ball the pitch. Catcher was already standing ready to throw to third when I made the call. Pitcher gave me a look but didn't say anything.

Next pitch is up in the strike zone that the batter hits for a HR. As I'm standing on the third base side waiting for the runner to round the bases, the pitcher takes a few steps my way and says, "Nice home run you gave them!"

Firstly, I had to bite my tongue because I thought it was awfully funny how he thought I somehow threw that juicy pitch. Instead of snapping back at the player I walked over to the catcher and told him that if he wanted his pitcher to stay in the game that he should go out and talk to him and remind him who threw the homerun pitch.

Never heard another word all night.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

High School.

Called a batter out on strikes. He argued as he was walking back to his dugout. I yelled at him, "that's enough."

He didn't say anything further....until...as the very first pitch to the next batter was on its way (it had left the pitcher's hand, but had not been caught) he yelled out from the dugout, "that's brutal!"

I called the pitch (very quickly...not good timing) "ball", ripped off my mask and tossed the little prick. His head coach didn't even say anything.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Tim,

This is when I learn that "times change."

25 years ago an umpire would walk over to the dugout and clear it.

He would send everyone either to the far reaches of the DBT in the outfield or send them to the locker room.

Then the offending team could bring people back only for specific tasks (i.e. base coaches during their time at bat, or a pitcher and catcher to warm up in the bullpen, or a specific pinch hitter, etc.) and as any changes were made those people were then sent to join their teammates.

ONLY the head coach (manager) would be allowed in the dugout.

I remember those times warmly . . .

Regards,
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
This is when I learn that "times change."

25 years ago an umpire would walk over to the dugout and clear it.

He would send everyone either to the far reaches of the DBT in the outfield or send them to the locker room.

Then the offending team could bring people back only for specific tasks (i.e. base coaches during their time at bat, or a pitcher and catcher to warm up in the bullpen, or a specific pinch hitter, etc.) and as any changes were made those people were then sent to join their teammates.

ONLY the head coach (manager) would be allowed in the dugout.

I remember those times warmly . . .

Regards,
What do you do now, Tim?

Dump the manager for not controlling his bench, or start dumping players until they get the message................

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Where do we draw the line?

There was a post about Torii Hunter recently being ejected from the dugout in an earlier thread that got me thinking about how much we're to consider too much when a dugout goes on a tirade over a call.

If it persists after a warning and you're not exactly sure who it is that's raising Hell, who do you toss, if anyone at all?

Tim.
Tim I had this happen to me a few years ago in a tournament.

I FIRST give the manager the opportunity to "police his own players" but if he can't then I picked the first person I saw and tossed him.

NOTE: Some umpires told me to tell the coach that if he doesn't control his team to toss The Stud F1, F2 or clean-up hitter, however, I also do not want a marathon on my hands either so if F1 is throwing strikes and F2 is stopping EVERYTHING I am also not stupid (That's debatable) , therefore, I tend to keep those players in the game if I can.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Tim,

Remember I said USED to do . . . times change.

In answer to your question:

After a bench had been cleared this made it pretty easy to identify the culprit that would comment.

We then would dump that manager (coach) and request for new blood to come into the dugout.

Tim, we found at upper level of baseball the action of "clearning the dugout" lead to far fewer ejections than just picking people.

Actually I have not heard of any umpire even threatening to do this is years.

Regards,
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I always knew that Paul O'Neil was a RAT, but he is now a King Rat. I just watched this Torii Hunter incident again at MLB.com. MLB.com's video is the New York Yankee's TV network's (YES) feed, of which Paul O'Neil is the analyst.

Here's what went on.

Torii gets tossed from the dugout. O'Neil goes on and on about how umpires shouldn't go after a player in the dugout when that player is clearly just "frustrated" ("I mean Torii's having a tough series...") and how its wrong for an umpire to go after a player in the dugout and "cause a player to come out onto the field."

To his credit, the play-by-play announcer said (to paraphrase), "Paul, to take (Ron) Kulpa's side, maybe Torii was yelling profanities at Kulpa from the dugout. I mean he wasn't even the one at-bat called out on strikes."

Paul's response? "Whatever."

What a freakin' maroon. So in Paul's world a player can do anything he likes, including cussing out an umpire..."as long as he's in the dugout."
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:59pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I always knew that Paul O'Neil was a RAT, but he is now a King Rat. I just watched this Torii Hunter incident again at MLB.com. MLB.com's video is the New York Yankee's TV network's (YES) feed, of which Paul O'Neil is the analyst.

Here's what went on.

Torii gets tossed from the dugout. O'Neil goes on and on about how umpires shouldn't go after a player in the dugout when that player is clearly just "frustrated" ("I mean Torii's having a tough series...") and how its wrong for an umpire to go after a player in the dugout and "cause a player to come out onto the field."

To his credit, the play-by-play announcer said (to paraphrase), "Paul, to take (Ron) Kulpa's side, maybe Torii was yelling profanities at Kulpa from the dugout. I mean he wasn't even the one at-bat called out on strikes."

What a freakin' maroon. So in Paul's world a player can do anything he likes, including cussing out an umpire..."as long as he's in the dugout."
I've read the phrase on here many, many times...it's not my quote, but I think it's appropriate here...

"Once a rat, always a rat"

There are several very good instances for dumping somebody...and more often than not, umpires are made out to be the bad guy for not tolerating obnoxious behavior/language from a player/manager. Not many umpires out there go hunting for ejections...I figure if an umpire in my association dumps somebody, there's probably been a pretty good reason for it.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Barry was tossed a couple of nights ago after striking out looking in the 8th on a pitch he thought was a ball. Two pitches later to the next batter the umpire called a strike on a similar pitch and then turned and tossed Barry for commenting from the dugout. Then he tossed the HC who came out to argue.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 04:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Had a junior game(19-21 year olds) the other night, batter up with a count of 2-2, next pitch is about an inch inside and I ball the pitch. Catcher was already standing ready to throw to third when I made the call. Pitcher gave me a look but didn't say anything.

Next pitch is up in the strike zone that the batter hits for a HR. As I'm standing on the third base side waiting for the runner to round the bases, the pitcher takes a few steps my way and says, "Nice home run you gave them!"

Firstly, I had to bite my tongue because I thought it was awfully funny how he thought I somehow threw that juicy pitch. Instead of snapping back at the player I walked over to the catcher and told him that if he wanted his pitcher to stay in the game that he should go out and talk to him and remind him who threw the homerun pitch.

Never heard another word all night.
If the pitch was "an inch inside," I'd be ringing the batter up.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 04:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump

Here's what went on.

I don't go looking for **** from a dugout, but I don't turn my ears off, either. If you don't want me in your kitchen, stop throwing food in my direction.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I must be 'old school', but I try to avoid dugouts and bench areas like the plague. Once the pre-game equipment inspection is done, I won't enter a dugout. I never sit on the bench during a game ( I once had to go looking for a partner who was sitting on the bench between innings eating a candy bar). I try to respect the bench/dugout area as a player's area, not mine.

I generally ignore most of the crap that comes from the dugout as well. I have heard equipment being thrown, I saw a gatorade bucket get kicked to pieces (that was funny), and I have heard all sorts of bad language. The issue becomes when that behavior is directed personally to me. If I am taking the time to walk to the bench area to address behavior, someones leaving the game and it's not me.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Closed Thread