Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

unintentional interference

hi,
situation :
R1,R3, 0 outs.
hit to the 2ndbasemen, the runner slips or whatever and interferes with the 2ndbasemen absolutely unintentional). on this situation i would call R1 out for interference, award the BR 1stbase and what about R3 ? can he score on the play or has he return to 3rdbase, even if the interference was unintentional and no breaking up double play ?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 03:58am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bruno_
hi,
situation :
R1,R3, 0 outs.
hit to the 2ndbasemen, the runner slips or whatever and interferes with the 2ndbasemen absolutely unintentional).
INT makes no difference if it is intentional or not in this case.

Quote:

on this situation i would call R1 out for interference,
Don't know the rules you are playing under but B is out most of the time, R returns to base.

Quote:

and what about R3 ? can he score on the play or has he return to 3rdbase, even if the interference was unintentional and no breaking up double play ?
Dead ball, R3 returns.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

the unintentional interference with the fielder.....i wrote unintentional because if it was intentional i would call breaking up dp -> R1 + BR out, R3 returns, but if the interference was unintentional, even a dp was possible, i cannot call the BR out !
lets say the unintentional interference (no budp, BR awarded 1stbase) happend AFTER R3 scored, does he still have to return ? i don't think so....
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the unintentional interference with the fielder.....i wrote unintentional because if it was intentional i would call breaking up dp -> R1 + BR out, R3 returns, but if the interference was unintentional, even a dp was possible, i cannot call the BR out !
lets say the unintentional interference (no budp, BR awarded 1stbase) happend AFTER R3 scored, does he still have to return ? i don't think so....
This is NOT a timing play. If you're calling interference then ALL runners return to their TOP base and place the batter at first. Any runners forced to advance as a result of placing the batter at first move ahead.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, R3 returns. Seems harsh don't it. But let's look at it another way. Maybe R1 interferes someday on a play where F4 had a clean shot at a play at the plate. Maybe R3 is the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. Then it wouldn't seem so harsh. The offense messed up. The offense is penalized.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Yes, R3 returns. Seems harsh don't it. But let's look at it another way. Maybe R1 interferes someday on a play where F4 had a clean shot at a play at the plate. Maybe R3 is the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. Then it wouldn't seem so harsh. The offense messed up. The offense is penalized.
this is why i wrote "unintentional interference happed AFTER R3 scored". he would have scored the game winning run before the interference happend"
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't matter when R3 scored. Runners return to their time-of-pitch bases, unless forced to advance by awarding BR 1st.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56

Don't know the rules you are playing under but B is out most of the time, R returns to base.

What baseball rules set has the batter-runner out for the interference of R1 unless the interference was a deliberate attempt to break up a double play?

Tim.