The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Slow Pitch. Runner on any bag, POP-up in foul territory near coaches box. Coach in the box gets tangled up with fielder and catch is prevented. I have always thought dead ball-batter out. WRONG. This happened in Torn'y this past weekend to some other Ump. When we all went to find the ruling, it can't be found. Seems (in ASA) there is no such thing. 8-7-M,O addresses INTENTIONAL or unintentionally the ball hitting the coach, and in such case the runner closest to home is out..not the batter.
Isn't this a bit too harsh a penalty. Also wanted to ask if this happens with two strikes, then do we call the runner closest to home out, AND then the batter out as well.
Once again seems too harsh. At best in last case, the batter would be out.. caught or uncaught so why are we getting this closest to home runner also ? It also just does not seem appropriate to call nothing. It seems like the rules people have left a gap, that we can fall in regarding this.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I think Rule7 section 6 I covers this.

The batter is out........When members of the team at bat(including those in the dougout area) other than runners interfere with a player attempting to field a fair or foul fly ball. (This would include the base coach)

Effect....The ball is dead and each runner must return to the base legally held at the time of the pitch.

Therefore in your case, the runners would not be out, but the batter would, and the dall is dead.
NIF
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I had seen that one, but did not think it applied because of the dugout reference and "member" of the team.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

I've always thought of it as base coach being "part of the playing field". A fielder has to work around him just as a catcher must throw around a rh batter on a pickoff at 3rd. A base coach has every right to be in his position, and unless interference is intentional he cannot be penalized if a play is affected by his presence. Having said that, if there is no movement by a base coach to get out of the way, that might be viewed as intentional interference, but also may not be viewed that way. Arguements may ensue either way, (unless ball is caught, and some nut may want to argue that also!) so have fun!
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
I've always thought of it as base coach being "part of the playing field". A fielder has to work around him just as a catcher must throw around a rh batter on a pickoff at 3rd. A base coach has every right to be in his position, and unless interference is intentional he cannot be penalized if a play is affected by his presence. Having said that, if there is no movement by a base coach to get out of the way, that might be viewed as intentional interference, but also may not be viewed that way. Arguements may ensue either way, (unless ball is caught, and some nut may want to argue that also!) so have fun!
Check POE #32.E

In the scenario, the batter is ruled out. The coach, like the on-deck batter or any other non-participating member of the offense in playable territory, must vacate any area needed by a fielder to execute a play on a batted ball.