The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
A-Rod Fake Tag=OBS??

Did anyone catch the Yank-Oriole game (on Thursday, I believe) where Birds' R2 tries to steal 3B and Posada throws the ball into the outfield?

F5 A-Rod put a major fake tag on the runner, his arm movements greatly, IMHO, impeding the sliding R2 from getting up and heading toward home. Ball is in the outfield by this time.

No big whup, R2 recovered and scored easily on error. But no signal whatsoever from U3.

Anyone else glimpse this? I had an obvious type B OBS (and another bush-league ploy) on Rodski.

Ace
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
Did anyone catch the Yank-Oriole game (on Thursday, I believe) where Birds' R2 tries to steal 3B and Posada throws the ball into the outfield?

F5 A-Rod put a major fake tag on the runner, his arm movements greatly, IMHO, impeding the sliding R2 from getting up and heading toward home. Ball is in the outfield by this time.

No big whup, R2 recovered and scored easily on error. But no signal whatsoever from U3.

Anyone else glimpse this? I had an obvious type B OBS (and another bush-league ploy) on Rodski.

Ace
It's not obstruction in OBR. In fact, infielders do it fairly often. (Didn't you notice that no one complained?)
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ace
A legitimate deke in pro ball.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a similar play recently in another MLB game (sorry I can't identify it precisely; the games roll one into another for me). Somebody was stealing 2B, the throw went into the outfield, and F6 tagged the sliding runner and held the tag on as he got up. The runner was not fooled.

As everyone has said, this is not uncommon in pro ball. It's just part of the game.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did not see the play, but by your decription could very easily have been type
b.
Surprised everyone has missed this.

The "deke" isn't the issue, if Arods presence over the bag physically impedes R2s ability to pop up and advance then we should have OBS.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
b.

The "deke" isn't the issue, if Arods presence over the bag physically impedes R2s ability to pop up and advance then we should have OBS.
Good luck with that call.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 12:50am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
b.

Agree, I got OBS for three reasons. He has no reason other than OBS to be there and 2) it's a BS play. Grow up 3), he may well have prevented a pop-up, see 1) and 2) for additional cause-action.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 12:52am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Don't need luck, need the reasons clearly outlined im my post above. All of which I am prepared to use starting with the rule violation, ending with "Grow up" if a longer lasting "discussion" ensues.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I'm a little confused.
Are you saying, as described, that Arod has the right to impede the runners ability to pop up and move forward or are you saying that because of Arods star power you would be afraid of making the call?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Unless I'm missing something, I do not see anything against this in OBR.

Personally, I think it's a bit dirty, and just FYI, it's a major no-no in softball (ISF fastpitch).

Shmuel
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg
Unless I'm missing something, I do not see anything against this in OBR.

Shmuel
See post #5 quote highlighted in blue.

Is this not classic OBS?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See post #5 quote highlighted in blue.

Is this not classic OBS?
It depends on what is meant by the highlighted words. If the runner tried to get up and advance, and if he was physically prevented from doing so, then it's more likely obstruction. If he didn't try to get up and it was just a "fake tag" or other deke, then it was not obstruction (under OBR).
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

From what I'm reading about obstruction here, I think my understanding needs some "tweeking".

I had a similar play the other night where a runner was caught in a rundown between home and third. The runner was diving back to third when the third baseman "tagged" the runner without the ball. I called obstruction (and awarded home) because the third baseman physically touched the runner BEFORE the runner obtained third base.

It was actually quite strange because I was watching the play and saw the tag of the runner about 4 feet from third. I hesitated and thought, "OK the tag was made BEFORE the runner got to third so the runner is out. WAIT a second, I didn't see the ball thrown from the catcher to the third baseman. Where's the ball???" (I turn to look at catcher who clearly still has the ball in his throwing hand) Point and yell, "TIME. THAT'S OBSTRUCTION. YOU HOME."

Had a major blowup with third baseman resulting in ejection as that was the winning run of the game. The fielder said that he didn't contact the runner with any part of his body only the glove.

I was under the impression that ANY physical contact on a runner without the ball was automatic obstruction. Granted we play with OBR which allows some contact if a thrown ball is "impending", but in this situation the ball wasn't thrown.

Did I make the right call??
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

1. How did this fake tag actually hinder the runner returning to third? If not, why is it OBS at all?
2. Even if this is OBS, why award home? Under OBR, you'd protect the runner back to third if that's where he's diving at the time of OBS.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Michael,

Agree that it's only Obstruction if the runner is actually obstructed.

However, under OBR IF a runner is obstructed while in a rundown (taking tibear at his word), it is ALWAYS considered Type A and the runner is awarded an advance base, even if obstructed while returning to his previous base.

JM