The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence.Dorsey
Let me say this first, I am not defending Ken Harrelson's rant because it was a little too much for me. But I honestly don't think he saw Eddie Rap signal obstruction when it happened. I did when they showed the camera shot from over the third base dugout but I guarantee few if any saw the signal, including the Hawk. Furthermore, since Hawk never saw the original signal, he had absolutely no idea why runners were placed after the outs had been made.

Some of the confusion was dictated by the Type B obstruction and some as others have pointed out was dictated by the umpires not killing the play when the obstructed runner was caught in a rundown. All in all it was a mess.

Lawrence
Well, I was watching on WGN with Kaper and Brenly. Ast first they didn't understand what was going on but as the umpires confered and they showed the replay, Brenly picked up the obstuction call right away. Actually, Rap and the third base umpire both signaled for the obstruction. At first, Brenly thought that they would still call Pie out since he wasn't obstructed, but after the umpires made the ruiling, they pulled out the rulebook and found the rule and explained it very well on the broadcast.

The part of the clip that is missed is that during the break between innings, Hawk came over to the Cubs broadcast booth and Brenly had to explain to him what happened.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
I really can't blame any White Sox personnel for being upset about this play. The umpires royally screwed up. While they corrected their errors in the end and eventually got the right ruling and placement of runners, they let all that action play out when play should've been stopped. They allowed the White Sox to acquire two outs that would later be nullified. They made a difficult situation a helluva lot worse. It was very poor umpiring. Hawk is paid by the White Sox to be their announcer. He's their representative. While he might not have understood the final outcome (and, let's face it, most umpires on these forums didn't understand the outcome until it was explained by a few of us in detail) he was quite correct in calling it a bunch of, "BS."
The umpires actually did a pretty good job. The play cannot be over until the obstructed runner is denied the base he would have achieved had there been no obstruction. That the play continued after that is not to say the umpires were not trying to stop it.

And the media did a nice job of explaining it, Hawk Harrelson excepted:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....s-sports-print
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Of course the umpires were not trying to stop it. Heck, one of the umpires who called the obstruction later made a subsequent out call after the rundown on R2 between third and home. The other umpire who called the obstruction was in position to make a call on the subsequent rundown of the BR between first and second. That was horrible, in my opinion. It showed a lack of knowledge of the rule. Joe West saved the day, I think.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
And the media got the explanation right only because they had Rich Garcia and West to explain it all to them, as they should.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 10:54pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
It's been a while since I lived in White Sox land and had to endure the Hawk and whoever had the chair next to him. McCarver and Morgan have a national stage on which to parade their ignorance, and the fact that so many more people hear their mistakes makes it difficult to judge whose rules knowledge is worse.
Played with McCarver, bottom line, he's a twat.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Nothing is more telling about the character of a person than his willingness to offer idiotic comments about nothing.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 12:50am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Nothing is more telling about the character of a person than his willingness to offer idiotic comments about nothing.
I keep looking at your remark and I don't get your point. Did you not read the thread? McCarver's name was mentioned several times. I commented as to Tim's personality. Do you know him personally? If so, then maybe you have a different opinion. Many do, I don't.

Last edited by fitump56; Thu Jun 28, 2007 at 12:56am.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 12:55am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
McCarver was part of this discussion and since he played with the man I think the comments are relevant.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 01:25am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
McCarver was part of this discussion and since he played with the man I think the comments are relevant.
If only I had on field experience with him but moving along...

McCarver was a prodigy, caught Legion ball in the 7th grade, was part of a HS and Summer team, several players who went on to the Cards, the Gagliano Bros. Mike Roose, Mike Shannon, others. I'll cut him slack, he was a Stud's Stud in all sports.
Tim was what, 20?, and catching in th WS? His head was helium filled from birth, add all that early success, as I said I will cut him slack.

But he's still a twat.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 01:26am
In Time Out

Quote:
If only I had on field experience with him but moving along...

McCarver was a prodigy, caught Legion ball in the 7th grade, was part of a HS and Summer team, several players who went on to the Cards, the Gagliano Bros. Mike Roose, Mike Shannon, others. I'll cut him slack, he was a Stud's Stud in all sports.
Tim was what, 20?, and catching in th WS? His head was helium filled from birth, add all that early success, as I said I will cut him slack.

But he's still a twat.
Correction, Roose went to Tulane although he was drafted. #2, he was an All-American there.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Not that this is anything new, but while watching this video I found myself wanting to punch hawk harrelson through the computer screen...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CWS@KC: Ozzie is ejected arguing balls and strikes - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Pitch FX tells me Jeff had a pretty decent night...

Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Strikezone Map Tool

Last edited by BaBa Booey; Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 09:02am.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Why in the world did you attach this to a 3 year old thread?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

because i hate hawk harrelson...
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 10:55am
M.A.S.H.

In another game of that series, there was a strikeout of the batter and R1 was running. The batter's swing carried him over the plate. When I saw it live I thought man that's got to be close to INT. Sure enough, they banged him for INT - double play.

Hawk said.. "that's an iffy, iffy call." Silly monkeys!

Edit: Didn't realize this was an old, old thread. My fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa Booey View Post
Not that this is anything new, but while watching this video I found myself wanting to punch hawk harrelson through the computer screen...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CWS@KC: Ozzie is ejected arguing balls and strikes - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
I saw a clip of Ozzie getting dumped early in a game the other night. I thought it said it was in the 1st inning...thanks for the video.

Last edited by tjones1; Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 11:05am.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm a lifelong Sox fan and I don't like Hawk either.

A couple days after the conclusion of the Cubs-Sox series at the end of June, Hawk pleaded with Major League Baseball to investigate its umpires. Why? Because Harrelson said that the umpires are conspiring against the White Sox and Ozzie Guillen following the Mark Buehrle-Joe West-Ozzie Guillen balk ejection incident last month.

Recall that West called a balk on Buehrle, and after the second one, West ejected Mark and Ozzie. The incident led to MLB fining Buehrle, Guillen, and West. Well, Ken Harrelson is convinced that because of this, MLB Umpires have gotten together to conspire against Ozzie and the Sox.

OK, Hawk. Whatever you say.