The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Coaches who know umpiring

This year, I have done a lot of baseball and coaches say the darnest things. Here is the list of some of the things coaches said to me this year.

1. Balks can only be called by the field umpire.

2. Everything is protestable(Judgement calls such as safe/out, fair/foul, and balks)

3. If you tag a runner on the back before he reaches the base, he is safe because you can't tag a runner in the back.

4. Only the umpire in cheif can throw someone out of the game.

5. Pitchers can go to their mouths and touch the ball without 1st, wiping his hand/fingers off 1st.

6. Pitchers can have a SOILD WHITE GLOVE.

7. Pitchers must be set for at least 3 seconds before he can deliver the pitch

8. If the pitcher drops the ball while on the rubber, he can pick it up and a balk is not called.

9. Runners must slide feet first

And my favorite,

10. BALLS AND STIKES CAN BE ARUGED!

Just thought you all would enjoy the very knowable coaches I deal with every weekend
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

#5. In the OBR it says nothing about wiping off, only that you not be in the 18" circle.

The pitcher shall not --
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand.
PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.
(2) expectorate on the ball, either hand or his glove;
(3) rub the ball on his glove, person or clothing;
(4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;
(5) deface the ball in any manner; or
(6) deliver a ball altered in a manner prescribed by Rule 8.02(a)(2) through (5) or what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball or “emery” ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands.
PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6)
(a) the pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically. In National Association Leagues, the automatic suspension shall be for 10 games.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 06:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
#5. In the OBR it says nothing about wiping off, only that you not be in the 18" circle.

The pitcher shall not --
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand.
PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.
(2) expectorate on the ball, either hand or his glove;
(3) rub the ball on his glove, person or clothing;
(4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;
(5) deface the ball in any manner; or
(6) deliver a ball altered in a manner prescribed by Rule 8.02(a)(2) through (5) or what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball or “emery” ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands.
PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6)
(a) the pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically. In National Association Leagues, the automatic suspension shall be for 10 games.
Why would you assume he's talking about OBR?
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

In my area High School is over and the Summer Leagues play OBR. (with a few white sheet modifications)
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 09:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
In my area High School is over and the Summer Leagues play OBR. (with a few white sheet modifications)
He said that this is what he has heard this year. Also many summer ball in my area is played under FED rules. So you cannot assume he is talking about OBR just because most HS seasons are over.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Bud, a coach can argue balls and strikes if he wants. He just won't be around long to do it. Also, by protest, do you mean argue or file a formal protest? I've had a coach protest because the field lights weren't turned on soon enough. They can basically play the game under protest for anything they want, but if it's not a protestable call it just gets filed in the waste can.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Balls and Strikes most certainly CAN be argued!

Otherwise, the rule books wouldn't have a penalty listed for doing so.

Jerry
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
Balls and Strikes most certainly CAN be argued!

Otherwise, the rule books wouldn't have a penalty listed for doing so.

Jerry
It takes two to argue. In my games it's a short-lived one-way conversation that usually ends with me telling the coach that I've had enough. If he doesn't understand my warning then he'll be removed.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Bud, a coach can argue balls and strikes if he wants. He just won't be around long to do it. Also, by protest, do you mean argue or file a formal protest? I've had a coach protest because the field lights weren't turned on soon enough. They can basically play the game under protest for anything they want, but if it's not a protestable call it just gets filed in the waste can.

That's what I told him. But he he assist on doing so. I even gave him another chance, but he told me, so blue, do you flip a coin and if its heads, its a ball and if its tails, its a strike. So I stop the game, got a coin out, flipped it, turn to him and said, "It's tails and your out of here". Also a coach had a game under protest because of a safe/out called my partner "blew". Of course, my UIC (Umpire in Charge) just laugh.

Last edited by budjones05; Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 03:25pm.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
This year, I have done a lot of baseball and coaches say the darnest things. Here is the list of some of the things coaches said to me this year.

1. Balks can only be called by the field umpire.

2. Everything is protestable(Judgement calls such as safe/out, fair/foul, and balks)

3. If you tag a runner on the back before he reaches the base, he is safe because you can't tag a runner in the back.

4. Only the umpire in cheif can throw someone out of the game.

5. Pitchers can go to their mouths and touch the ball without 1st, wiping his hand/fingers off 1st.

6. Pitchers can have a SOILD WHITE GLOVE.

7. Pitchers must be set for at least 3 seconds before he can deliver the pitch

8. If the pitcher drops the ball while on the rubber, he can pick it up and a balk is not called.

9. Runners must slide feet first

And my favorite,

10. BALLS AND STIKES CAN BE ARUGED!

Just thought you all would enjoy the very knowable coaches I deal with every weekend
I'll have the coaches I have call your coaches, they missed a few:

1. The tie always goes to the runner.

2. The hands are part of the bat.

3. There's tape there so it's no longer considered wearing jewelry
becaue you can no longer see it.

4. You can't call that a strike. My batter called time out.

5. No way that sliding runner was safe. The ball beat the runner to the base.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

"Coaches who know umpiring"

...I'm still waiting to meet one. (And, no, I have not met CoachJM, yet).
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
"Coaches who know umpiring"

I know a couple.

One is a pretty good umpire, he does some college, and AA minor work. Very low key, and will not take anyone to task out loud. He'll just stand beside you and tell you the rule that you just stuck a fork in.

The other one can't wait to pounce on the lesser skilled umpire. Miss a rotation, didn't see a missed base, miss the OBS at first, two guys at one base, you're going to hear about it. My son is brutal. Going from being an umpire instructor to a coach is an easy transition, but this time the students can eject you.

"Time!"

"Hey, that may be the best call you've made all day"
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
So I stop the game, got a coin out, flipped it, turn to him and said, "It's tails and your out of here".

Please tell me you are joking.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Yep, that's what it says. That still doesn't mean that a pitcher is allowed to go to his mouth and then directly to the ball without wiping off first. Even if he's outside the 18' circle we don't allow it.

Tim.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my area High School is over and the Summer Leagues play OBR.
In my area High School is over and there are summer leagues of high school players playing on "high school teams" under FED. The JV games are pretty loosey goosey as to the rules, ie free substitution, etc. but the "varsity" games are straight up FED. No graduated seniors are on these teams so it is developmental for the players that will play in the spring.