The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Indeed. Took you 24 hours to come up with that? Weak.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Your quote can stand for itself, providing the rest of us can stand the smell.
Hey, Morgan and McCarver know very little about the rules of baseball. Once in a while Morgan gets lucky and manages to get one right, but McCarver very, very rarely knows any except the most basic funadamental rules, and even those he butchers with regularity.

Yes, they played major league baseball, but that does not make them baseball experts. Most of us did play baseball too, and our knowledge of the game is on a much higher level due to our umpiring experience. Those who have little or no umpiring experience typically do not know the rules to the degree that we do.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your quote can stand for itself, providing the rest of us can stand the smell.

Wow. Made the ignore list in record time. Say hi to BigGuy and Dave the Rat when you see them.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 10:58pm.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Ignore list. I've got to learn to use that more often, Garth.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Wow. Made the ignore list in record time. Say hi to BigGuy and Dave the Rat when you see them.
We put up with this troll for a while over on the basketball forum too. No difference. He'll go away.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

To all who thing Joe doesn't know baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Hey, Morgan and McCarver know very little about the rules of baseball. Once in a while Morgan gets lucky and manages to get one right, but McCarver very, very rarely knows any except the most basic funadamental rules, and even those he butchers with regularity.

Yes, they played major league baseball, but that does not make them baseball experts. Most of us did play baseball too, and our knowledge of the game is on a much higher level due to our umpiring experience. Those who have little or no umpiring experience typically do not know the rules to the degree that we do.
I'm not defending Joe or Tim's rule knowledge, but to say"... our knowledge of the game is on a much higher level due to our umpiring experience"is IMO way too conceited an attitude.
An umpires knowledge of the rules is undoubtedly much higher, but there are many facets of the game and the rules are just one of them.
So define what you mean by "baseball experts"

There are pitchers that can watch a batter take practice swings and see the hole in their swing. I can't, so relative to the intricacies of pitching he is on a higher level than me and most of the rest of us umpires. There are batters that can spot tell tale signs from the pitcher and know what pitch is coming, sometimes as subtle as leg kick to belt buckle curve ball, leg kick above belt fast ball. I can't, so relative to spotting the idiosyncrocies (sp) of a pitcher they are on a much higher level than I am and I dare say most of us.
There are so many nuances to this game that no one is an expert in all areas, but when you play the game at the level Joe Morgan did for so many years I have a hard time thinking that just because I know the rules better means I'm on a higher level.
I'll bet Joe Morgans overall baseball knowledge far exceeds the vast majority of all umpires. His ability to transfer that knowledge, whether announcing is the right forum to communicate that knowledge and whether you like his style is another matter.
Let's not be like the rats and make irrational statements and think more highly of ourselves than deserved.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
I'm not defending Joe or Tim's rule knowledge, but to say"... our knowledge of the game is on a much higher level due to our umpiring experience"is IMO way too conceited an attitude.
An umpires knowledge of the rules is undoubtedly much higher, but there are many facets of the game and the rules are just one of them.
So define what you mean by "baseball experts"

There are pitchers that can watch a batter take practice swings and see the hole in their swing. I can't, so relative to the intricacies of pitching he is on a higher level than me and most of the rest of us umpires. There are batters that can spot tell tale signs from the pitcher and know what pitch is coming, sometimes as subtle as leg kick to belt buckle curve ball, leg kick above belt fast ball. I can't, so relative to spotting the idiosyncrocies (sp) of a pitcher they are on a much higher level than I am and I dare say most of us.
There are so many nuances to this game that no one is an expert in all areas, but when you play the game at the level Joe Morgan did for so many years I have a hard time thinking that just because I know the rules better means I'm on a higher level.
I'll bet Joe Morgans overall baseball knowledge far exceeds the vast majority of all umpires. His ability to transfer that knowledge, whether announcing is the right forum to communicate that knowledge and whether you like his style is another matter.
Let's not be like the rats and make irrational statements and think more highly of ourselves than deserved.
Thanks for bringing logical perspective to this argument.

As umpires we always cringe when players, coaches, fans, and broadcasters misunderstand or misapply a rule. But to call hall of fame and all star players "morons" when they make rule mistakes as broadcaters begs the question as what should we be called when we do the same thing?

After all it is our job to know the rulebook and the postion from which to make the best judgement on a play.

We have chosen to live a big glass house.

It serves no useful purpose for us to throw stones at those whose jobs require much more knowledge of the game than ours, unless of course, we are perfect in our profession.

Last edited by jimpiano; Wed Jun 06, 2007 at 07:22pm.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I honestly don't think that Joe or Tim have any more knowledge of baseball than I do. And if I was a commentator, I wouldn't say false things about players the way they do about rules.

So, Tim and Joe, here come the stones.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
I honestly don't think that Joe or Tim have any more knowledge of baseball than I do. And if I was a commentator, I wouldn't say false things about players the way they do about rules.

So, Tim and Joe, here come the stones.
Wow.

Can you just hit the highlights of your major league all star appearances?
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 10:26pm

Quote:
Wow.

Wow. Playing the game at its highest level still does not give one any more knowledge of the game than does just having played the game at lower levels for many years. It just means that you were better at playing it. It is certainly not an indication of their rule interpretation abilities.

The only advantage Morgan, McCarver, or any other player or former player has is that they have more stories to tell.

Baseball is baseball, and the strategy varies little from the game I played until I was 30, and the game the big leaguers play. It's just the skill level that is extremely different.

I'll hit all my MLB All-Star appearance highlights when Joe and Tim match my umpiring experience. Joe Morgan claims he worked some ball while going to college, but you couldn't prove it by me.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 10:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Wow.

What the hell does that have to do with "knowledge" of anything?
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Wow.

Explain how being a great ball player makes you knowledgable about baseball? Or not being a great ball player makes you less knowledgable. I sit down every night and watch my Yankees play (you can PM me if you want to flame me for being a Yanks fan) and see things going on in a game that the announcers don't discuss. I also don't see things that the announcers do discuss. Baseball is a complicated game, always stuff going on.

Tonight, A-Rod hits a lined shot to the wall, trots to first, then finally shifts gears but is called out at second. U1 inexplicably did not cut in on the play (U3 went out, U2 to third). A-Rod starts to whine, umpire says something and walks away, and then A-Rod yells something more. Umpire comes back in on him and they argue some. 1st base coach gets A-Rod to the dugout.

Dummie Paul O'Neill talks about how the call was wrong, A-Rod did what he had to do to get second, and the umpire was wrong for arguing back.

Guess 2,000 some hits really makes you understand baseball from the whining perspective, which I don't think most fans want to listen to.

Off soap box.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

There's a reason why the late Bart Giamatti once said that the smartest people on the field are the umpires.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Wow. Playing the game at its highest level still does not give one any more knowledge of the game than does just having played the game at lower levels for many years. It just means that you were better at playing it. It is certainly not an indication of their rule interpretation abilities.

The only advantage Morgan, McCarver, or any other player or former player has is that they have more stories to tell.

Baseball is baseball, and the strategy varies little from the game I played until I was 30, and the game the big leaguers play. It's just the skill level that is extremely different.

I'll hit all my MLB All-Star appearance highlights when Joe and Tim match my umpiring experience. Joe Morgan claims he worked some ball while going to college, but you couldn't prove it by me.
wow.

How many world series games have you umpired?
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
There's a reason why the late Bart Giamatti once said that the smartest people on the field are the umpires.
Explain how being a great ball player makes you knowledgable about baseball? Or not being a great ball player makes you less knowledgable.

Well, gee. If you had a chance to talk baseball in Heaven with Ted Williams or Rudy Regalato, who would you choose?

Let me know when you are hired by Fox or ESPN. I am dying to hear your take on how major league umpires could take three innings to decide that a run scored before the final out of an inning, on a non-force, actually counted.

An anxious nation awaits.
Closed Thread