The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

ESPN: "Are ejections getting out of hand?"

Ozzie Guillen gets tossed Sunday (this White Sox fan says thank God, BTW). Grady Little gets tossed Sunday. Lou Piniella gets tossed Saturday and is suspended indefinitely. Joe Torre gets tossed Saturday.

On Sportscenter Sunday following the Yankess-Red Sox game--gee, a Yankees game on ESPN, what a shock--the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network ran a segment about MLB ejections and how they are getting out of hand. Of course, blowhard John Kruk blasted MLB for suspending indefinitely Lou Piniella, saying all he did was argue and that that was fine.

Whatever.

Gotta love ESPN, eh?

Last edited by UMP25; Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 11:57pm.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Of course, blowhard John Kruk blasted MLB for suspending indefinitely Lou Piniella, saying all he did was argue and that that was fine.
And today Piniella admitted that the call he was arguing was actually correct....... go figure.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think MLB has a problem with arguments and ejections. But I think they want the out of control behavior that Lou and that idiot MiLB manager demonstrated to be part of the past.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

But as the gods at ESPN said, the umpires are getting out of hand with their ejections.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I tossed 2 players and a coach Saturday (same team) and eventually called the game a forfeit, second forfeit in my time. Seemed warranted to me at the time and still does. What is really interesting is the team was winning 15-0 at the time so why they wanted to show their *ss and get the game forfeited I don't know.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 01:42am

The only one on Baseball Tonight who thought Sheffield's ejection wasn't warranted was that ex-rat tub of goop Kruk. They kept trying to explain to him that Sheffield got run for throwing the bat handle at the umpire. Kruk just couldn't believe that Sheffield deserved to be run. What can we expect from such a rat (once a rat, always a rat).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

"Of course, blowhard John Kruk blasted MLB for suspending indefinitely Lou Piniella, saying all he did was argue and that that was fine."

Let's see. Pinella was giving his imitation of George Blanda, kicking his cap instead of a football, all over Wrigley Field. Not to mention kicking dirt on the umpire. What, if anything, was Kruk watching?

Bob
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
And today Piniella admitted that the call he was arguing was actually correct....... go figure.
Think we'll see Krukkie admit that what he was arguing was actually incorrect?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Most of the time that managers argue - the call was correct anyway.

MLB umpires are very good and just don't miss too many calls.

As far as ejections - as the temperature gets hotter, so do the tempers. Happens every summer. Something about the heat brings out the wrath of players and coaches.

Also remember, coaches/managers don't always argue because they thought the call was wrong - most of the time it has something to do with other calls earlier in the contest from another umpire or they are frustrated with the PU's strike zone etc.,

Finally they get a close call and they go after the "umpire that made the call", but in reality they are either frustrated with the game or their players.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
"Of course, blowhard John Kruk blasted MLB for suspending indefinitely Lou Piniella, saying all he did was argue and that that was fine."

Let's see. Pinella was giving his imitation of George Blanda, kicking his cap instead of a football, all over Wrigley Field. Not to mention kicking dirt on the umpire. What, if anything, was Kruk watching?

Bob
Piniella got run for THROWING HIS HAT. How automatic is that at ANY level of baseball?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I kind of got the feeling Pinella was looking for an excuse to get tossed. I think possibly he wanted to get some heat off his players and onto him. They all deserved to go over the weekend IMO. Maybe ESPN should have titled it "Are Coaches Out of Control"?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Piniella got run for THROWING HIS HAT. How automatic is that at ANY level of baseball?
Because it probably wasn't "Silent Lou" arguing...I'm guessing there were some not-so-family-friendly words exchanged and Lou needed to go.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I thought that his nickname was "Sweet Lou." Perhaps you're thinking of President Coolidge?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Because it probably wasn't "Silent Lou" arguing...I'm guessing there were some not-so-family-friendly words exchanged and Lou needed to go.
You missed my point. His throwing the hat made the rest of it irrelevant. Hat thrown = gone. The rest is just Lou being Lou.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I thought that his nickname was "Sweet Lou." Perhaps you're thinking of President Coolidge?
No...I meant Silent Lou. I meant that he didn't go out and kick dirt and leave. Some not so nice words were exchanged, leading to his running himself.