The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

Here is the situation:

The head JV coach gets tossed during our game by my partner. After the game, we let the varsity officials know that this event happened. This same coach tries to assume his assistant coaching duties during the varsity game. Before this game even starts, the varsity officials inform head coach A that assistant coach A cannot sit on the bench during the varsity game nor should he be allowed to sit on the bench in his next JV game.

There were no problems as head coach A agreed with the referee. Is this the right procedure? I know that the JV coach is not supposed to be able to coach in HIS next game. There was debate last night at our association meeting as to whether the varsity officials did the right thing. As a matter of fact, the 25-year veteran varsity official who made the call/decision was the one who brought the issue up for discussion. He was quite sure he made the proper call, but some of the other veteran officials weren't so sure. Does anyone know for sure?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

This is an interesting circumstance.
However, this is a situation in which we as officials have no jurisdiction. This is a State Association matter that is resolved through them and the Athletic Director of the schools involved. We do not enforce the "rule" that a Coach misses the next game after being ejected.

A sidelight to this:

I was talking to a AD at a game the other night and he informed me that if a Coach is ejected that Coach must miss a "like" game before he can coach again. In other words If a Varsity Coach gets ejected from a JV game he must sit out a JV game before he can coach again. That was his interpretation and again something that is decided at the State level not ours.

Dan
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quite possibly, your local or state association has included some additional punishment for the disqualification of a coach. But if you are asking, 'by rule', there is no such rule per the National Federation.

KDM
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

According to IHSAA a coach cannot coach or be on the bench until he has sat the next game at the level he was thrown out.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ref48 on 01-18-2000 01:59 PM
According to IHSAA a coach cannot coach or be on the bench until he has sat the next game at the level he was thrown out.

That seems logical, although I'm not sure if it is the correct ruling. There could, afterall, be a couple varsity games between this JV contest and his next one--such as Christmas break holiday tournament. At the least, though, I would consider that coach done for the NIGHT. It would be up to the conference and state association to be sure any penalty is properly enforced after that. We just write our report per that state assoc., then it's out of our hands.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that this is not under our jurisdiction unless specifically spelled out in the rules governing that district / area. If this situation does occur, I would simply make sure that it was clear in the game sheet that the individual was taking part in the game or on the bench. Then let the associations take care of the rest if necessary.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

The varsity officials made the correct ruling on the coach. In our state the rule is that the ejected individual(player or coach) must sit the next contest AT THAT LEVEL. If there are any contests at other levels between the ejection and the next contest they must miss those games as well.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

According to my state association, the coach/player had to sit out the next scheduled game at that level, and all games (at any level) until then. So by state rule, the assistant coach should not be on the bench for this game.

BUT, this does not fall under our jurisdiction. If he is there, let him stay. If the opposing coach pursues the matter with the state association, the offending team will forfiet the game.

It is the Administration's (AD and/or coach) responsibility to be informed of the rules and enforce them on this issue.

[This message has been edited by Shamrock86 (edited January 24, 2000).]