The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Great post. Now in all seriousness. If you have your mask on, bend over. Your mask should pull away from your face 3 fingers width. This is taught at Harry's school on the first day. (at least used to be.) Any looser then you're at risk. Any tighter, than it is hard to get your mask off. ALL umpires should be able to wear an 8 stitch hat. The new low profile mask offers a whole new set of standards. Purchased one of the new Wilson Titaniums, HATE IT. I went back to my old 3008. Just my dos pesos.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
whats the point of wearing a hat then if it always comes off. Maybe a bucket would be better? The 4 stitch is just a ridiculous looking hat. Like a beanie. How about going to navy or black doo-rags?
If you read what Tim C. posted your hat will not come off, even with an 8-stitch cap.

Keep your mask harness loose, and remember, "Up, then out, up, then out, up, then out...."
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I've never had a problem getting my mask off no matter how many stitches are in the bill of my cap...I just wear it backwards. Way easier! :-) :-) :-)
I think wearing the hat backwards is BUSH! I am embarrassed to work with a partner who does..............
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Hat problems- let this video load, then go to 2:15:

YouTube - Diamondback at Coopertown
Boy he was a flincher! I think he ducked every pitch come his way!
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
If you read what Tim C. posted your hat will not come off, even with an 8-stitch cap.

Keep your mask harness loose, and remember, "Up, then out, up, then out, up, then out...."
Sorry to differ, but when you remove your mask, you peel it away to the left, and not really up much at all.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

My last two base partners showed up with sweat-stained four-stitch caps. The first guy took me up on my offer of a spray bottle treatment; the second guy said, "I like the stains on my cap, it shows that I've been really breaking a sweat out there."

He turned out to have the worst game of any partner I ever had. After his fifth blown call and fifth visit at the sideline, I had to tell him to stay to hell away from me and stop giving me all these enthusiastic nods and thumbs-up signals and stop making calls on the run and stop looking at the scoreboard and stop talking to the players and stop making calls until the play is actually made ...

And you know, I knew it was going to be a long day just by looking at his cap when he drove up.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post

What TimC posted was out then up, not up then out. I agree with TimC.

BTW: I wear an 8 stitch, bases and plate. No problems with the cap coming off in either position.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 11:41am.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Hat problems- let this video load, then go to 2:15:

YouTube - Diamondback at Coopertown
canadaump6,

Is the first umpire in the clip you by any chance?

Just wondering.

JM
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Sorry to differ, but when you remove your mask, you peel it away to the left, and not really up much at all.
Kevin,

You should probably let Jim Evans know.

Because that's not how he teaches to do it.

JM
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I tried removing my mask with the 8 stitch. No problem, but the mask seems to push the visor into my forehead. Feels uncomfortable. The mask is loose. Any suggestions?
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Ok, I tried removing my mask with the 8 stitch. No problem, but the mask seems to push the visor into my forehead. Feels uncomfortable. The mask is loose. Any suggestions?
JR12,

Go back to a 6-stitch cap.

I've heard similar comments from guys I know who use a "low profile" mask with regard to a 6-stitch cap.

JM
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
What TimC posted was out then up, not up then out. I agree with TimC.

BTW: I wear an 8 stitch, bases and plate. No problems with the cap coming off in either position.
DOH!

I should have read it before I posted it.

I ordered an 8 stitch instead of a 6 stitch a few weeks back. No problem at all when I tried it out with my mask. I think I'll go with 8 stitch as I replace my caps.

And the style of cap you use, like ball bag color, is something I don't think is a huge deal, as long as the color matches your partner's cap and you don't turn it backwards.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
JR12,

Go back to a 6-stitch cap.

I've heard similar comments from guys I know who use a "low profile" mask with regard to a 6-stitch cap.

JM
Thanks, glad it's not just me. I have noticed the MLB umps using the 8 stitch and always wanted to try. However with the way it felt for a couple minutes I think I'd have a major headache after a couple hours.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Hardly a "tale" in my part of the country. Most all of the upper level umpires in the Portland area wear 8 stitch caps when working the plate.

Here is kind of what I tell umpires that are having "caps for laps" problems:

1) Your mask is much more important than the number of stitches in your cap.

2) If you use a "low profile" type mask you'll never be able to wear an 8 stitch cap.

3) Make sure your mask is worn loosely -- when you look down at the ground your mask should easily swing away from your chin.

4) When you buy a mask the FIRST thing you should do is remove the harness from the inside "ear" connections and move that connection to the outside of the ears.

5) Your mask should "hang" from the bill of your cap . . . under no circumstance should you wear a mask snuggly. When you take a foul ball off directly off your mask your mask should either twist around your head or even pop clear off . . . think of what happens when a Forumla 1 car crashes . . . parts fly everywhere . . . this disapates the energy of the crash (foul ball).

6) Learn (and practice) pulling your mask away from your face and then turning the chin area upwards to clear your cap. Practice, Practice, Practice.

7) Always where a slighly smaller cap when working the plate.

Only reason Portland guys wear that big of a cap is to keep the rain out of there eyes.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
I didn't notice the hat problems as much as the flinching problems. How can the guy call a pitch?
he couldnt call a pitch... did you not see his horrible zone?