The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Hats (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/35230-hats.html)

IHSAref Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:03am

Hats

Is it better to buy a combo hat or a plate hat and a base hat??

Thanks

BigGuy Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHSAref

Thanks

I have both, in plain and IHSA logo. I tend to use the combo the majority of the time. Personal preference - it might depend on whether or not your hat keeps coming off when you take off the mask.

Blue37 Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHSAref

Thanks

By "plate hat", do you mean the short billed beanie?

mcrowder Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue37
By "plate hat", do you mean the short billed beanie?

What else could he mean? :)

Rich Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
What else could he mean? :)

The beanie is a 2-stitch hat. There is a 4-stitch plate hat now. Also a 6-stitch that they usually call a combo.

Personally, I wear an 8-stitch regardless of plate or bases.

BigGuy Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
The beanie is a 2-stitch hat. There is a 4-stitch plate hat now. Also a 6-stitch that they usually call a combo.

Personally, I wear an 8-stitch regardless of plate or bases.

You don't have any problems taking the mask off with an 8 stitch hat?

Steve M Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuy

I too only where an 8-stitch - regardless of plate or bases. Taking the mask off is all technique - there's no problem with ripping the hat off too.

Rich Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuy

Out, then up. Doesn't matter how many stitches.

mcrowder Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06am

I think that if you have the mask loose enough that you can pull it forward and then over an 8-stitch cap, you have your mask too loose. JMHO.

Tim C Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:30am

Hmmm,

" . . . you have your mask too loose."

I admit that I am dense at times:

How can a mask be too loose?

Regards,

GarthB Fri Jun 01, 2007 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Out, then up. Doesn't matter how many stitches.

I always wore 8 stitch, plate and bases. Then I bought that damn low profile Wilson mask and had to switch to a 6 stitch behind the plate. Since I dumped that mask and went back to my West Vest mask, I'm back to 8 stitch hats.

Rich Fri Jun 01, 2007 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
I think that if you have the mask loose enough that you can pull it forward and then over an 8-stitch cap, you have your mask too loose. JMHO.

If you can't pull it out and over, the mask is too tight or you are not using good technique. The mask is supposed to be worn loose.

LakeErieUmp Fri Jun 01, 2007 08:35pm

For so long (basically forever) I wore my mask like I did back in my HS and college catching days - nice and comfy snug. I never took the concussion or teeth-breaking foul (simply the luck of the draw).

But after reading your posts the past month or so I've gone to wearing the mask (Plus+ and an older DynaLite) much more loosely. It was a learning curve that's for sure. But now I kind of like being able to yank the thing off without my cap flying in another direction (that should have been my first clue that snugger is not always better). And on the days my contacts don't agree with me I can wear my glasses (tinted so they appear to be sunglasses- I'm not ready to get into the "hey blue how can you see if you wear glasses" comments) without them getting in the way either.

SO, thanks for the excellent advice on wearing the mask loose. I don't relish the 85+ back-slinger into the mask but I am morbidly curious as to what will happen.

mrm21711 Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
SO, thanks for the excellent advice on wearing the mask loose. I don't relish the 85+ back-slinger into the mask but I am morbidly curious as to what will happen.

Nothing...the mask will spin around a little and you wont really feel a thing

LakeErieUmp Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:19pm

Now if you can just get my West Vest to slide around so I dont' feel anything when I get my WAY to frequent shots to my forearm!