The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

For Sale: All Star 2200SL

Asking $110 for it plus shipping. (Or a good offer) I bought it last fall and have worn it in one game and one scrimmage. Still looks brand new. It's the larger size, up to 7 3/4.

I think I'm going to a Wilson traditional mask. I like the HSM and there's nothing wrong with it, but I always used a traditional when I was a catcher and I think I like them better.

PM me.

Last edited by zm1283; Tue Mar 17, 2009 at 12:03am.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Sold.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Are you including the goalie pads, stick and jersey??? Who wears those silly things???
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Don't knock em until you try em.

Seriously, I'm not sure about the one mentioned above, but I used to wear the traditional all the time. Always felt a bit forward heavy no matter how light they are. Picked up the Wilson Shock FX Helmet this year (titanium cage). Awesome and no need for a hat. Light (2.3 pounds), way better vision, especially side to side, looks great, balanced on your head. Wouldn't ever go back to traditional. Just my humble opinion.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Not meant to be taken seriously. I know some darn good umpires who wear them. Just not to my liking.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
Not meant to be taken seriously. I know some darn good umpires who wear them. Just not to my liking.
I own a Shock FX, but I have yet to wear it other than to test it out with some college players. I suppose I'll wear it someday in a game, but I just haven't made the jump. As Bobby stated, the vision is superior to any mask; the balance is superb as well, and in my experience, the way it absorbs a blow is discernibly better than any mask. You can wipe with all the $tudie$--other than the sound of a blow being louder, there is no comparison to the actual impact of a straight shot to the cage. The Shock FX is markedly safer than any mask.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 11:52am.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I own a Shock FX, but I have yet to wear it other than to test it out with some college players. I suppose I'll wear it someday in a game, but I just haven't made the jump. As Bobby stated, the vision is superior to any mask; the balance is superb as well, and in my experience, the way it absorbs a blow is discernibly better than any mask. You can wipe with all the $tudie$--other than the sound of a blow being louder, there is no comparison to the actual impact of a straight shot to the cage. The Shock FX is markedly safer than any mask.
I took a serious shot to the mask wearing my Shock FX last week during a college game. Foul tip got me on the crossbar. Catcher chased down the ball & took it to the pitcher. Wasted some time. But I was ready to go immediately. I haven't felt one yet, great protection... but it does sound like a bomb going off inside the thing when it gets hit!

I still carry my conventional mask too. I just wear whatever I'm in the mood for that day.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
Foul tip got me on the crossbar.
Not trying to be a smarta$$ (but succeeding) - but I'll bet you $100 you didn't take a foul tip to the mask...
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
Not trying to be a smarta$$ (but succeeding) - but I'll bet you $100 you didn't take a foul tip to the mask...

i'd like to get in on that, too, please.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
Foul tip got me on the crossbar.
Don't do it! Don't take the bet! lol They caught me on the same slip many times before Not that I would take that bet anyways

-Josh
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

OK, whatever. I was typing in a hurry. I know what a foul tip is. I also know how it feels to get hit with a hard foul ball in a conventional facemask. I think some of you smart@sses have been hit too many times.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to angryZebra
Shock FX

I got the shock FX at the begining of the season & LOVE IT. Better vision than my old buckethead, which even that one was better than the traditional. What gets me is that the FX they market to umpires runs as much as $300, while the one I got is the adult "catchers helmet", for $130 at a local place - AND it doesn't scuff when it gets hit since it has a non-shiney rubberized-like coating. kinda different.
haven't felt a hit -taken a few... I think?

----------------------------------------------------
Fan: "Hey ref, you suck!"

Ref: "No, I blow... & so do fans come to think of it )
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryZebra View Post
I got the shock FX at the begining of the season & LOVE IT. Better vision than my old buckethead, which even that one was better than the traditional. What gets me is that the FX they market to umpires runs as much as $300, while the one I got is the adult "catchers helmet", for $130 at a local place - AND it doesn't scuff when it gets hit since it has a non-shiney rubberized-like coating. kinda different.
haven't felt a hit -taken a few... I think?
That's because the more expensive one is a titanium cage. Your catcher's version is a steel cage.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

On Labor day I took a foul and it hit me square in the face. I was wearing a Wilson Titanium low profile. It bent the lower eye bar and broke a weld. I got a mild concussion. Wilson replaced the mask with a standard view.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Warning, Pass the Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post
On Labor day I took a foul and it hit me square in the face. I was wearing a Wilson Titanium low profile. It bent the lower eye bar and broke a weld. I got a mild concussion. Wilson replaced the mask with a standard view.
Chris, is that all you got from Wilson, a replacement mask?
Tell me you still have possesion of the damaged mask,
statements from three reliable witnesses and a good lawyer.
Send Wilson a message your not happy.
-------------
Is anyone keeping count?
Spread the word among your organizations.
These mask "may be" dangerous, until proven otherwise.
Definitely not a design flaw.
More of a fabricated marketing blunder.
Please ask for your money back from local retailers.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Mar 25, 2009 at 10:46pm.