The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Hustling out to positions

I was working a middle school game by myself. The home teams gives up 7 runs in the first inning, mostly on errors and the coach is not happy. At the conclusion of the inning, the visiting catcher and pitcher take the field and begin to warm up. The rest of the players (visitors) loaf onto the field. I told the team to "hustle out!" The home coach gets ticked off that the kids (visitors) didn't run onto the field and lets me know about it. The pitcher throws his 8th pitch and we begin w/o delay. This continued throughout the game. Where does my responsibility end and the visiting coaches begin.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure why you care (telling them to hustle out). Not sure why home coach cares, and him yelling at me about it would have gotten some words from me. What the other team does between innings is not only something an umpire should not get involved with, but also something the umpire should not allow the OTHER coach to say a word about.

If they did not delay any actual playing time (and from your words, they didn't) there is nothing for anyone to be even the slightest bit perturbed about. If they were not ready to play by the time the pitcher was, we have a different story ... but I CERTAINLY don't want the opposing coach addressing it.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 06:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why do you care? If the pitcher and catcher are out there doing their job, leave this alone. I would not allow the pitcher and catcher to continue to go over the limit of pitches, but when the other fielders get out there is not something I am going to even address.

Peace
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 06:30pm

Here at the lower levels(sub varsity and youth ball), we are encouraged to holler "hustle in and out," and most umpires do this just to keep things going. If they don't, that's bad on them

I love it when they don't hustle, then wonder why the catcher is throwing the ball down to second base and they didn't get a chance to warm up. I'm brushing the plate and ready to go to work. 8 and down for a new pitcher, 5 and down for returning pitchers, and I count 'em. I do not tolerate unnecessary delays.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
I was working a middle school game by myself. The home teams gives up 7 runs in the first inning, mostly on errors and the coach is not happy. At the conclusion of the inning, the visiting catcher and pitcher take the field and begin to warm up. The rest of the players (visitors) loaf onto the field. I told the team to "hustle out!" The home coach gets ticked off that the kids (visitors) didn't run onto the field and lets me know about it. The pitcher throws his 8th pitch and we begin w/o delay. This continued throughout the game. Where does my responsibility end and the visiting coaches begin.
I'm not in charge of team hustle. I'm the umpire. If there is a bonafide delay. I have tools to take care of it.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 08:37am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
It's good practice to tell the players to hustle out, especially when there are time limits. At that level, be reasonable. As far as the HC harping on you about it, the second time I'd probably tell him to knock it off. That's not his job. If he continues, give him a warning. I know it sounds trite, but as umpire you don't need to hear it every inning.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
8 and down for a new pitcher, 5 and down for returning pitchers, and I count 'em. I do not tolerate unnecessary delays.
Or one minute, timed from the last out of the previous inning, which ever comes first.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
It's good practice to tell the players to hustle out, especially when there are time limits. At that level, be reasonable. As far as the HC harping on you about it, the second time I'd probably tell him to knock it off. That's not his job. If he continues, give him a warning. I know it sounds trite, but as umpire you don't need to hear it every inning.

That's not his job.

It's not your job either.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
That's not his job.

I had a game where the pitcher didn't bother to come out for a while for no good reason. I told the catcher to throw the first one down. The pitcher said he was guaranteed five pitches and I told him he used four of them in the dugout.

I will not, will not, WILL NOT tell players to hustle, but I will not play on their clock, either.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
It's good practice to tell the players to hustle out, especially when there are time limits.
Curious why this is "good practice". I'm not the coach. I don't care how they spend their between-innings time. If they delay play, that's a different story and we have remedies/rules for that... but if they want to run laps or play jacks between innings, I don't care - and neither should any of us on this board. Pitcher/catcher get their 8 or 5 pitches or their minute - THAT is our job... "Hustle in/out!!!!" is bush.

(Note - in the OP, even with what I've said regarding the UMPIRE and HIS desire to "hustle" the team out there, I think the bigger crime is allowing the other coach to say a DAMN thing about what their opponent does between innings.)
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I had a game where the pitcher didn't bother to come out for a while for no good reason. I told the catcher to throw the first one down. The pitcher said he was guaranteed five pitches and I told him he used four of them in the dugout.

I will not, will not, WILL NOT tell players to hustle, but I will not play on their clock, either.
True - had a tourney game 2 days ago where the pitcher got NO pitches twice in a row, and almost got a ball called on them the 2nd time. First time was a returning pitcher, 2nd time was a new pitcher. They were NOT pleased - but they got the message and were out there timely the rest of the tourney.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
He may get 5 pitches, he may get 1. Regardless, they only get a minute. It's their choice what they do during that minute, not mine. They can have a hot dog if they want.

You would think that if the game is played under a time limit it would be in their best interest to hustle. I don't care if they play 2 innings or 7.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 12:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I had a game last summer where I didn't allow the catcher to "throw down" boy did I hear about it...but he was taking "forever" and giving me attitude the entire game...it was time for me to enforce some rules that I typically don't enforce.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 12:58pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
That's not his job.

Read SanDiegoSteve's post again. It isn't my job. It's up to the players and coaches. I don't do it all the time. I don't have to do it for HS games. For lower levels where kids are constantly being moved around, it helps to move the game along so that I don't have to stand there waiting and waiting.

I do it as a courtesy. For those who don't, fine.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Our games around here start @ 6:30 PM, so I kind of enjoy the first month when I know neither team has had their infield and I walk onto the field at 6:25 PM and call for the plate meeting.

Coaches typically give you the, "But we didn't get an infield." or "They had an infield and we didn't". I tell them, "Game starts @ 6:30 and plate meeting happens @ 6:25 PM. Next time show up earlier and make sure you get your infield if you really want one."

I typically show up 30 minutes before the game and walk around the field. When the coaches see me, it doesn't take long for them to get their infields going!!!