The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Advice on UIC meeting with coaches! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/34860-advice-uic-meeting-coaches.html)

timharris Mon May 21, 2007 09:27am

Advice on UIC meeting with coaches!

Good Day All

I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires. I will be the Umpire in Chief for this upcoming Memorial Day weekend which includes 9 fields, it is a AAU State Tournament for 9-12 year olds here in Virginia. I have been given the duty of meeting with all the coaches this upcoming Friday night, what are some of things I should cover? In the past I have covered things such as (1) sportmanship and safety supercedes everything on the fields. (2) Umpires will only acknowledge head coaches (meaning coach that was at the pre-game meeting) if their is a question about any play or rule interpertation during the game. (3)The on deck batter must stay on his dugout side while on deck. What are some other things that I might want too add, so my weekend can be a little smoother.

Thanks for all the info.

Uncle George Mon May 21, 2007 10:10am

Coach's meeting

Quote:

Originally Posted by timharris
Good Day All

I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires. I will be the Umpire in Chief for this upcoming Memorial Day weekend which includes 9 fields, it is a AAU State Tournament for 9-12 year olds here in Virginia. I have been given the duty of meeting with all the coaches this upcoming Friday night, what are some of things I should cover? In the past I have covered things such as (1) sportmanship and safety supercedes everything on the fields. (2) Umpires will only acknowledge head coaches (meaning coach that was at the pre-game meeting) if their is a question about any play or rule interpertation during the game. (3)The on deck batter must stay on his dugout side while on deck. What are some other things that I might want too add, so my weekend can be a little smoother.

Thanks for all the info.

I'd make it mandatory that the Head Coach show up at the plate for the pre-game meeting! I'd drop #3. Coaches should know the rules. If #3 happens, just send the kid back to their own side. Let them know that you expect all players to get on and off the field quickly (hustle)! Keep the games moving!

Don Mueller Mon May 21, 2007 10:54am

Quote:

Good Day All

Thanks for all the info.

If I were you I'd be very practical.
IMO when coaches hear anything about sportsmanship all they hear is blah blah blah blah blah. They've all heard it before and no one considers themselves unsportsmanlike so they tune it out.

So I would tell them:
"If you argue, question, complain or comment on balls and strikes you are at risk of being tossed. If you argue, question, complain or comment on any judgement call you are at risk of being tossed. Your assistant coaches have no standing at all with the umpires so they are at risk of being tossed when they show up(a little toungue in cheek, but a comment along that line would be good) Same goes for your players. As UIC I will stand behind the umpires 100% in these situations."

While you have their attention you might want to throw in a 5 minute rules seminar and disspell some of the common baseball myths that most frequently cause problems between uninformed coaches and umpires ie hands are part of the bat and tie goes to the runner etc etc.
It's not often that 9-12 yr old coaches have an umpire speak to them so take advantage of the opportunity to say something meaningful.
After all the 9-12 yr old coaches are the travel coaches of tomorrow.

Rcichon Mon May 21, 2007 11:34am

Keep it simple:

Ask Manager about specific ground [field] rules or at least cover field rules if any apply.
Ask them if all players have proper gear.
Review any recent problems that seem important to you to advise them on [jewelery on players, etc].

"Send up your Batter, Skip".

Even this will be too much for some.
Just remember less is more.

David B Mon May 21, 2007 12:11pm

Quote:

Good Day All

Thanks for all the info.

As UIC for such tourneys in the past I have kept it very simple.

1) Ground rules (field and dugouts)

2) Coaches stay in the dugouts (or what every your ground rules are)

3) Keep them moving between innings

4) Coaches conduct (what you will allow and will not allow)

Other than that not too much unless you have had problems with a certain issue in the past and then I would deal with that also.

Thansk
DAvid

mcrowder Mon May 21, 2007 12:51pm

Rcichon - read the OP again... he's not talking about plate conferences at all. He's the UIC for a tourney, and talking about his coach's meeting (assumedly taking place LONG before games start, and with ALL coaches in attendance).

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 21, 2007 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcichon
Keep it simple:

Ask Manager about specific ground [field] rules or at least cover field rules if any apply.
Ask them if all players have proper gear.
Review any recent problems that seem important to you to advise them on [jewelery on players, etc].

"Send up your Batter, Skip".

Even this will be too much for some.
Just remember less is more.

Reading Is Fundamental.

Cub42 Mon May 21, 2007 02:30pm

Coaches Responsibilities

Remind them that they are responsible for their :
1) Players
2) Asst. Coaches
3) Their fans behavior

RPatrino Mon May 21, 2007 02:36pm

Do you have any "special" rules for the tournament that are above and beyond the ones under the rule set you are playing under? Time limits, pitching restrictions, special ground rules, run rules, etc.

You might want to put them in writing and hand them to both the umps and managers before you start play. I've had it happen to me, something weird happens and there are no written guidelines to refer to.

Junker Mon May 21, 2007 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Mueller
If I were you I'd be very practical.
IMO when coaches hear anything about sportsmanship all they hear is blah blah blah blah blah. They've all heard it before and no one considers themselves unsportsmanlike so they tune it out.

So I would tell them:
"If you argue, question, complain or comment on balls and strikes you are at risk of being tossed. If you argue, question, complain or comment on any judgement call you are at risk of being tossed. Your assistant coaches have no standing at all with the umpires so they are at risk of being tossed when they show up(a little toungue in cheek, but a comment along that line would be good) Same goes for your players. As UIC I will stand behind the umpires 100% in these situations."

While you have their attention you might want to throw in a 5 minute rules seminar and disspell some of the common baseball myths that most frequently cause problems between uninformed coaches and umpires ie hands are part of the bat and tie goes to the runner etc etc.
It's not often that 9-12 yr old coaches have an umpire speak to them so take advantage of the opportunity to say something meaningful.
After all the 9-12 yr old coaches are the travel coaches of tomorrow.

Well said.

johnnyg08 Mon May 21, 2007 07:29pm

I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires

Now that is funny in so many ways! :-)

johnnyg08 Mon May 21, 2007 07:32pm

Tim, where did you get the quote on your signature??

etn_ump Mon May 21, 2007 08:09pm

What rules set are you playing under, FED or OBR? That is where I would begin.

SAump Mon May 21, 2007 09:47pm

Tourney

extra innings, time limits and tie breakers
protest resolutions w/in rule set per UIC or TD

radwaste50 Tue May 22, 2007 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Tim, where did you get the quote on your signature??

This quote is widely attributed to "Frank Outlaw" on the Web, but we've found no confirmation that this is the correct source. Popular quotation books — including Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (17th ed., 2002), Roget's International Thesaurus of Quotations (1970) and The Harper Book of Quotations (3rd ed., 1993) — do not include this quote or any reference to Frank Outlaw.