View Single Post
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Coach's meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by timharris
Good Day All

I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires. I will be the Umpire in Chief for this upcoming Memorial Day weekend which includes 9 fields, it is a AAU State Tournament for 9-12 year olds here in Virginia. I have been given the duty of meeting with all the coaches this upcoming Friday night, what are some of things I should cover? In the past I have covered things such as (1) sportmanship and safety supercedes everything on the fields. (2) Umpires will only acknowledge head coaches (meaning coach that was at the pre-game meeting) if their is a question about any play or rule interpertation during the game. (3)The on deck batter must stay on his dugout side while on deck. What are some other things that I might want too add, so my weekend can be a little smoother.

Thanks for all the info.
I'd make it mandatory that the Head Coach show up at the plate for the pre-game meeting! I'd drop #3. Coaches should know the rules. If #3 happens, just send the kid back to their own side. Let them know that you expect all players to get on and off the field quickly (hustle)! Keep the games moving!