The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

batter shows up ump

what would you do?
close game between 2 varsity rivals. you ring up a right handed batter on a back door breaking ball. as the batter walks towards his dugout he draws a line in the dirt about 6" outside of the plate. obviously, indicating that he thought the pitch was well outside. your reaction?? ejection? warning?
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 10:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Likely it would be an ejection. It would depend on how the player did it and who saw it in my opinion. But if there was an ejection on a strike out that is likely how I would handle it.

Peace
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

ejected.
this happened twice in a league i worked this past summer, and im sure it will happen again this summer.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Drawing a line draws an ejection. Every time.

Batter draws line to indicate outside pitch....gone.
Coach draws line to indicate where catcher tagged runner...gone.
Pitcher draws line across his legs to indicate knee high pitch...gone.

Demonstrations are intended to show up the umpire and incite the fans...they are not allowed.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat May 12, 2007 at 01:13am.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

I used to measure the circumstances before deciding, but no more. I'm with Garth on this one. Drawing a line is to be penalized.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

thanks. i think ejection is warranted also. i'm working the same league today with my assignor as my partner. i'm going to run the situation past him to get his input. i'm not sure he is going to agree - i think he is too worried about the coaches sometimes.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
thanks. i think ejection is warranted also. i'm working the same league today with my assignor as my partner. i'm going to run the situation past him to get his input. i'm not sure he is going to agree - i think he is too worried about the coaches sometimes.
So you're asking for permission to eject a player who shows you up? Not in my game. Do what you have to do and if you're not supported it may be time to find a new league.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
What about what my friend did - next time the guy came up he tapped the catcher and said, "he's all yours". Rung him up on three pitches that were WAY outside. When the coach came out to discuss he told him that the kid showed him up and that he won't see a pitch to hit the rest of the day. The coach went back to the dugout and soundly chewed the kid.

My buddy does HS, NCAA, and has done MiBL. Do you see that as a viable option?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Do you see that as a viable option?
No, I see that as being a cheater, and someone who can't handle situations in real-time. He gives all umpires a bad name by pulling such juvenile nonsense.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
No, I see that as being a cheater, and someone who can't handle situations in real-time. He gives all umpires a bad name by pulling such juvenile nonsense.
I guess the coach didn't think it was so bad since he ripped the kid and not the ump . . . Personally, I'd never have the balls to do something like that.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What about what my friend did - next time the guy came up he tapped the catcher and said, "he's all yours". Rung him up on three pitches that were WAY outside. When the coach came out to discuss he told him that the kid showed him up and that he won't see a pitch to hit the rest of the day. The coach went back to the dugout and soundly chewed the kid.

That's known as an FYC. Effective FYS's are ones used judicially and in situations where everyone know what was done and why, no explanation necessary. Three in a row is a bit much.

The MiLB has fired umpires who used FYC's so blatantly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pFQMMY234U

Last edited by GarthB; Sat May 12, 2007 at 09:32am.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you have to explain it to the coach, it is not a viable option. NEVER explain to a coach that you just cheated against his team. When the coach came out to "discuss" he has left his position to argue balls and strikes and you basically told him that he is right, you INTENTIONALLY missed pitches and it was going to continue. It can only go down hill from there.

All that being said.....message calls and pitches happen all the time. Unfortounately if you have to explain to the coach what you are doing, the message is lost and the coach thinks you just suck.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Personally, I'd never have the balls to do something like that.
I see this as lack of balls to take care of the problem when it happened. Then he gets the "courage" to just make bad calls, instead of pulling up his big boy pants and running the guy when this first happens.

I see this as a very bad choice in game management.
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Yes I do see this as a viable option. First of all I hate to use the terms "automatic" or "always" as it relates to any officiating or umpiring situation. Also what one person sees as being shown up and an ejectable offense, someone else might see it as a warning or something you talk to the coach about.

First of all if this is a HS game, not everyone is privy to what this means and why there would be an ejection. There are coaches out there that will not see things your way even if everyone saw the line being drawn. As you go up the ranks, coaches and players completely understand their roles and the way the game is played. They also know what will happen if they do certain things or they will quickly learn. Different strokes for different folks.

Also I would never tell a coach what I will not call the rest of the game, but I just would call strikes short of the ball being in the dirt or over the kid's head. And I would not hold it over the head of every player and every situation this player was involved in.

Peace
Old Sat May 12, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you see that as a viable option?
Personnally I don't need to lower myself to bring attention to me.

Either dump the kid right there and get it over with or call time, call the coach over and with your line-up card in hand, tell him that Player ## is now scratched. Most good coaches will handle it from there.

Be the professional that was hired to officiate the game.