The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Shows' Uni?

Is it me or is Doug Shows not wearing the correct shirt in tonight's game between Kansas and Southern Illinois. He doesn't have the black side panels on his shirt like his partners do.

I thought this was a required uniform change for the NCAA this year or does it not matter?

Last edited by The New Guy; Thu Mar 22, 2007 at 07:26pm.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

I thought they got these shirts in the mail since it had the NCAA logo on it.

Perhaps his was too big and his wife sewed up the side! Had to do that once when I was a kid and got a way too big shirt.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Guy
Is it me or is Doug Shows not wearing the correct shirt in tonight's game between Kansas and Southern Illinois. He doesn't have the black side panels on his shirt like his partners do.

I thought this was a required uniform change for the NCAA this year or does it not matter?

Saw the same thing................looks pretty sloppy for a game of this magnitude. Plus, they are having a bad night, not to mention a handful of travels that don't seem to matter.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Guy

There is no such thing called the "correct" shirt. These shirts have never been required and the language of what is allowed has not changed either. Officials can wear them these shirts as well as the regular shirt.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the clarification...
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

2-1-2.
The officials’ uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, which

may have a 3-inch wide black insert, and black pants.

That is all that the NCAA rules book says on this, but I believe that there was a memo a year or two ago that clarified that all three officials should wear the same type of shirt.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There is no such thing called the "correct" shirt. These shirts have never been required and the language of what is allowed has not changed either. Officials can wear them these shirts as well as the regular shirt.

Peace

I stand corrected, I thought it was required. Don't you think they'd all be on the same page with shirts for a big game like this?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I stand corrected, I thought it was required. Don't you think they'd all be on the same page with shirts for a big game like this?
Why? Personally I do not see how this is at all a big deal. They are all striped shirts. The only people that make a big deal out of this are officials. The general public might not even notice this at all or care.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:24am
Official & Member

Regardless of whether it is approved or a big deal, it still looks bush-league to me. I would expect officials at this level to at least coordinate uniforms.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Sure. They should have coordinated. Maybe someone's luggage was lost. Maybe someone spilled on his shirt before the game and had to borrow. Maybe someone's wife forgot to pack his shirt. Maybe someone forgot to pack his shirt. Maybe the security folks had to look through the luggage and forgot to put the shirt back in. ...
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

lol another stupid critisicm

oddly enough this happened to me this season -- Girls Varsity (and not the good type anyway) -- and I had the unpleated and partner had pleated. One of the "more seasoned" officials was watching our game since his son played in the BV game after ours. After the game he comes in and tells my partner and I great job -- some really gutsy but correct calls -- but made a huge deal about the pants. Once that came up I went into "uh huh" mode and made a bee line for the exit.

I appreciate criticism however I feel a lot of officials try and point out stuff that doesn't really matter just so they can feel as though they are "offering" helpful advice.

Bottom line -- black pants, striped shirt, black undershirt, black socks and black shoes. if the only people who "notice" our uniform discrepancies are fellow officials then just put a pipe in it and focus on the more inportant matters. Like when is Jon Diebler going to be resurrected to thwart our nemesis Old School. The messiah is coming.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Regardless of whether it is approved or a big deal, it still looks bush-league to me. I would expect officials at this level to at least coordinate uniforms.

You have no clue as to why he didn't wear that shirt. Something could have spilled on it during the flight or maybe his luggage got lost.

The last thing on people's minds when they watch a basketball game is whether or not all 3 refs have the black panel on their shirts.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Even at my lowly high school level..:-) we try and have same shoes, all patent leather or not, same style pants even though I don't own belted ones.

I just thought at this high level attention to detail was a little sharper. Maybe he packed the wrong one who knows?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:34pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Even at my lowly high school level..:-) we try and have same shoes, all patent leather or not, same style pants even though I don't own belted ones.

I just thought at this high level attention to detail was a little sharper. Maybe he packed the wrong one who knows?
You guys actually try to coordinate your shoes??? That's just weird, imo...
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
You guys actually try to coordinate your shoes??? That's just weird, imo...
Don't you carry 6 brands of shoes along with your 4 shirts (side panel flag, no flag, no side panel flag, no flag...wait the flags also have white borders OR yellow borders...damn, need more shirts) your pleated & non-pleated pants, your noose & smitty...

I know I do, ever since I read Jon Diebler's article on the pay side about this. Actually I only work with guys who drive the same make/model/color/year car to the game as I do. This advice was given to me by Chuck (wait for it...who's Chuck?) Elias. I am so happy that white walled tires are not in fashion anymore!