The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Miami brawl shows Rule 12 inadequate

In case you haven't seen it, there was a mammoth fight in the 3rd quarter of the ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Miamilace> v Florida International game. This was the most violent fight I have seen in my life in a football game. I saw several helmets used as weapons, punches to the throat, players stomping on the back of the leg and kicking of players, fists flying underneath chins. The game officials got some, but also failed to get the most violent offenders as the replay bears out because they could not see it all. Several of the most heinous violators remained in the game.fficeffice" />>>
Unfortunately, Rule 12 does not allow officials to review the replay to ensure that flagrant violators are dealt with accordingly. I think it should be amended to allow a flagrant situation to be reviewed for immediate sanction.>>
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 11:49pm
M.A.S.H.

The officials might not have got them, but you can bet the NCAA will get them. With that said, hopefully they come down hard too. From what I saw, some of these players should be suspended for the remaining season at the minimum.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

I was suprised to learn of the rule difference on fighting situations between NCAA and Fed. Apparently NCAA substitutes are disqualified for fighting only. In Fed, if a substitute leaves the sideline period, during a fight, they are disqualified. Would make the officials life easier in this, assuming they would actually disqualify the entire benches of each team. But if this rule was in effect, maybe they could have just dealt with the 22 on the field if the rest were bright enough to stay out of it. I agree that all video available at NCAA level should be used to disqualify any player who took part in the fight in any way. Would be nice if the coaches had some balls to suspend anyone who doesn't get a reasonable suspension from the confrences. IMHO using a helmet in a situation like that or a group of guys kicking a player who's already down deserves more than the 1 game I suspect they'll get, but I doubt anyone will do anything about it. Ok, Im done ranting now.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

It will be interesting to see if with replay in all the games if they will change that rule. It will be even more interesting to see if the coaches hit the kids harder than the NCAA does.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
It will be interesting to see if with replay in all the games if they will change that rule. It will be even more interesting to see if the coaches hit the kids harder than the NCAA does.
At Miami?

They'll probably get more stickers for their helmets and be excused from running windsprints for a week.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT

They might make em go to class.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
They might make em go to class.
That's just crazy talk right there.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I think the worst part was the celebration afterwards like they just beat the rival gang in a drive-by shooting. Coker should be fired just for that alone.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

The FIU players actually started the brawl from all accounts. Miami is going to get most of the blame because of the high profile of their school and program. This was a brawl between two teams and both teams are equally responsible for the actions. Once the brawl started it was obvious some Miami players took the situation too far, but the same goes for the FIU players as well. FIU players kicked Miami players in the head and sucker punched them early in the fight. This happens more in baseball games than it ever does in football settings, so I am not sure why we are so appalled by this fight than what takes place in other sports.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973
I think the worst part was the celebration afterwards like they just beat the rival gang in a drive-by shooting. Coker should be fired just for that alone.
Right. Because you certainly have lots of experience with the behavior of gangs engaged in drive-by shootings. No racist overtones there at all, schmitty.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

31 players suspended spread over the two teams so far..
News source said more to come.

A couple of forfeitures would better fit the crime.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
That's just crazy talk right there.
SORRY! I lost my head for a moment.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA will need to hammer down on these teams. Otherwise, they'll be dealing with this type of problem every weekend. Watching the video is disgusting. I know the refs were in the middle of it from the beginning. One announcer is heard suggesting that the two teams meet in the tunnel after the game. That wasn't real bright either. I saw that version via the Drudge Report.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64
The NCAA will need to hammer down on these teams. Otherwise, they'll be dealing with this type of problem every weekend. Watching the video is disgusting. I know the refs were in the middle of it from the beginning. One announcer is heard suggesting that the two teams meet in the tunnel after the game. That wasn't real bright either. I saw that version via the Drudge Report.
That announcer ought to be fired.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
That announcer ought to be fired.
That would be model citizen Lamar Thomas, a former Hurricane wide receiver.