The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Last night I'm doing a boys JV game in OHIO. The visiting team arrives at the school with about 6:30 mins. showing on the game clock. Visitng coach tells us and Home coach there was a bus scheduling problem, which should is there school admin. problem. How do you handle this situation? How much time should a team be allowed to properly warm-up?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 01:12pm
In Memoriam

By the book? One team technical foul for being late- charged under R10-1-1(lineups not in in time). Then give them a normal warm-up period--i.e.15-20 minutes. A proper warm-up is a safety factor, and we don't mess with those.

I'm certainly not against turning a blind eye to a "T" on this one, and just start it late. However, make sure that the particular league doesn't have a policy though. Two leagues that we do have a written policy that bus scheduling problems causing a late scheduled start were specifically not a reason for not calling the "T". They had a problem in the past with a couple of old-time coaches deliberately coming late to games- especially in big rivalry games. Idea supposedly was to get the other team to leave their game out on the practise floor. We set the policy for our guys in accordance with these leagues-- and the usual policy is that we follow the rules. Late---> "T".
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what we did. We talked w/ home coach. I informed him, by rule, we should start with a technical for not having starters available at scoretable. He decided he didn't want that, (great sportsmanship). I said ok. When they do arrive, we will give them 15 minutes to warm up and they must have their starters available by the "new" ten minute mark, which they did make available.

We started the game late, but we got through it.

Plus, I had to stay and do the varsity game. After the parents night ceremony.

Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

JMHO

I disagree with starting the game with a T.

While I understand the rules with regard to 10 minute administration, a team can't be expected to have their lineups enetered if they've had difficulty getting to the game site. The rules assume that both teams are present and preparing to play. The rules do not address a team arriving late. This is more of a league/conference administration issue.

In my area, we've been instructed to wait up to 30 minutes for a team to arrive. Then, we leave. If they arrive, ewe put 15 minutes on the clock and we go. Even if we had not been instructed in this area, I would handle it the same way.

In your case, with both coaches coming to you and explaining the situation, there's no way you start with a T.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 02:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
By the book? One team technical foul for being late- charged under R10-1-1(lineups not in in time). Then give them a normal warm-up period--i.e.15-20 minutes. A proper warm-up is a safety factor, and we don't mess with those.

I'm certainly not against turning a blind eye to a "T" on this one, and just start it late. However, make sure that the particular league doesn't have a policy though. Two leagues that we do have a written policy that bus scheduling problems causing a late scheduled start were specifically not a reason for not calling the "T". They had a problem in the past with a couple of old-time coaches deliberately coming late to games- especially in big rivalry games. Idea supposedly was to get the other team to leave their game out on the practise floor. We set the policy for our guys in accordance with these leagues-- and the usual policy is that we follow the rules. Late---> "T".

JR:

Absolutely NOT a technical foul. While there maybe coaches who are gaming the system, that is not the intent of the rule. Doggie doodoo happens, and bus scheduling problems is just one of those doggie doodo happens situations. Set the game clock for twenty minutes once the visitors get out on the court and move on.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Jan 15th, 2005 at 03:15 PM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Doggie dodo?

Is that a barking extinct bird?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 03:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Doggie dodo?

Is that a barking extinct bird?

I changed it to doodoo.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 03:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
Absolutely NOT a technical foul.

[/B][/QUOTE]Mark, as said above, we have some leagues we service that want the technical called. As that is the rule, we pretty much have to accede to their wishes.

As I also said above, I'm certainly not against turning a blind eye to it- if I can.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 07:49pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Actually had something similar happen this fall...

9th Grade girls game scheduled for 4 pm because we have JV & Varsity following. Only problem is the opposing 9th grade team comes from a district known for its slow bus service, so they arrive at the Gym between 3:55 and 4 pm. I forget what exectly we did, but I think they got 10-15 minutes to warm up and put their names in the book.

But most conferences either have regulations in place for this situation, or you realize that some school districts aren't able to accomodate a 4 pm game time and just deal with it best you can.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball