The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Pitcher - backward set position

I have a question around ruling on a pitcher coming to a set position. Here is the situation... We have a R1 and a RH pitcher. Pitcher is straddling the rubber. He takes his pivot foot and engages the rubber as he simultaneously comes to his set position. He is set for one second and then delivers his pitch to the plate.

I see it this way and need help...I see in OBR that the pitcher must take his signs from being on the rubber. So now the argument comes is that there are no signs - no infraction(?). What rule am I missing here, because I see this as a definite occurrence of deceiving the runner/batter. It must be a balk. OBR help please.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

The pitcher must either take the signs from on the rubber or "simulate" taking a sign. That might be the FED terminology, but the purpose remains the same: To keep the pitcher from quick-pitching.

But I'm curious as to the answer from the more experienced members of this board. Taking signs off the rubber in OBR is not penalized a balk, its just a "don't do that". Assuming the pitcher contacting the rubber before bringing the hands together, what, as an umpire, do you do?
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a balk for a quick-pitch to me... but I'd have to be there.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't deem it as a quick pitch if he actually comes set. Let's assume he comes set for three seconds. My issue is with the fundamentals of getting to the set position from off the rubber. It seems like something to deceive, but I don't know how to rule.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:10pm
Stop staring at me swan.

If you're doing to micromanage your baseball game it could be considered a balk...that being said, I would never call a balk in this sitch...100% won't agree w/ me on this...but that is reality...don't micromanage your games with being "tic-tack" on rules that disrupt the flow of the game. I would ask the catcher to go tell the pitcher to take his signs on the rubber/get set on the rubber/whatever.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

OBR and the Set Position

For Eureka 25:

In OBR, the pitcher may start with his hands together and his pivot foot on the rubber. To rule a balk or illegal pitch, you'd have to make a judgement if he took "enough" time remaining in that position before delivering the pitch. If one second, in your opinion, is sufficient, you've got nothing.

As for taking signs from the catcher while in contact with the rubber, no where in any rule book does it define "sign". The fact that the catcher holds his mitt in a particular spot or otherwise indicates where the pitch should be thrown, constitutes a sign. All the rule intends is that the pitcher does something before simply delivering the pitch.

And actually, in OBR it's not just a "don't do that". (taking signs from off the rubber). It's more of a case of "do that" . . . the pitcher should be instructed to take his signs while on the rubber. A pitcher can take signs from anyone and anywhere, including from his Aunt Nellie in Hoboken, when he's not on the rubber; just so long as he takes one from the catcher while in contact with it.

Jerry
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
For Eureka 25:

In OBR, the pitcher may start with his hands together and his pivot foot on the rubber. ...
Jerry
Jerry,

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but, no, he may not.

From OBR 8.01(b):

Quote:
...Preparatory to coming to a set position, the pitcher shall have one hand on his side; from this position he shall go to his set position as defined in Rule 8.01(b) without interruption and in one continuous motion. ...
He can't start with his hands together. Not a balk - just a "don't do that".

FWIW, I agree with the rest of what you said.

JM
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 8.01(b)

JM,
You didn't read the first part of the Rule, JM.

"Before assuming Set Position" (which is defined in 8.01(b)), the pitcher MAY elect (my own emphasis added) to make any natural preliminary motion such as that known as "the stretch". But if he so elects, he shall come to Set Position before delivering the ball to the batter." And the explanation then goes on.

The part that you're reading and quoting only refers to the pitcher if he elects to do the optional preliminary motions. In that case, I agree, he'd have to have his hand on his side, etc.

FED rules require what you're saying, but Eureka25 specifically requested OBR information.

Jerry
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Jerry,

OBR requires that the pitcher pitching from Set engage the rubber with his hands separated. Says so in the rules, says so in JEA, says so in J/R, says so on the Evans balk video. It has nothing to do with whether the pitcher elects to "stretch" or not.

JM
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

JM,
You're absolutely right. I keep forgetting that J/R has an entire interpretation book. In there, the use the term "Stretch" to mean the "Set" Position. Furthermore, the "Set" is only that portion of the "Stretch" that refers to the momentary delay before delivering the pitch. My bad.
Jerry
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:11pm
Stop staring at me swan.

it's also my understanding that J/R is not the official interp book...the PBUC manual is the official interp book...at least that's what Palermo told me last summer...
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
it's also my understanding that J/R is not the official interp book...the PBUC manual is the official interp book...at least that's what Palermo told me last summer...
Interesting seeing as how Palermo is listed as a member of The Joint Committee on Training found in the MLBUM. I'd have thought he'd plug the MLBUM first.

Tim.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

not sure BigUmp...I can't read his mind...all I know is that while he was observing the crew that contained Jeff Nelson last year when the Bo Sox played Kansas City in August 2006, I asked him about J/R, he knew about it, then proceeded to pull the "blue book" out of his bag while telling me that this is the official interp book, then we proceeded to talk baseball for 45 minutes...one of the coolest things ever...he took time out of his day to not only be bothered by a complete stranger, but to have the patience to talk with me about baseball and tens of other people who swung by to say hi...what a great guy...
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Interesting seeing as how Palermo is listed as a member of The Joint Committee on Training found in the MLBUM. I'd have thought he'd plug the MLBUM first.

Tim.

You can buy a PBUC. You can't buy a MLBUM.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
You can buy a PBUC. You can't buy a MLBUM.
Good point, Rich. Capitalism at it's finest!

Tim.