The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have suggestions on mechanics for ruling on forward or backward passes behind the LOS? The book says this is the referee's call, but being behind the passer, you don't have any type of angle on the initial direction of the ball out of the passer's hand? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

The wings have the best angle on the quick pass to a receiver just behind the LOS. If it is backwards, not parallel or forward, they signal it is backward by extending an arm toward A's goal line.

On passes that take longer to develop, and in many cases, where the wings have gone downfield, R has the call and he may be able to get even with the passer to get a good angle.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

In our games the wings are expected to call the quick pass to ends or backs out wide. If backward, punch back. if forward stay with the ball carrier even if recievers go down field as we can not have another forward pass. If he throws a forward pass have flag at spot of pass.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Our mechanic - if foward signal incomplete when it hits the ground. If backwards then officiate!
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Our mechanic - if foward signal incomplete when it hits the ground. If backwards then officiate!
REPLY: We have been instructed that the pass-side wing 'punch back' if he determines the pass to be backwards.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas (and CCA, I'm told), we are instructed as wings to "slide" 5-7 yards downfield when we read pass. That would include a pass behind the NZ. Without a BJ, we MUST be able to officiate downfield, so if they are throwing a second pass, I have to be downfield and won't be able to rule on or "punch out" the backward.

Had that exact play last week, and thought the first pass might have been forward, but I was 10 yards downfield already. I asked the R about it and he said it was backward, but I got the feeling he didn't think about it until after the play was over.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

We try to have the back-side wing rule on whether it is forward or not. We feel the play-side official may have enough to do with the play coming toward him and may not be able to fully see the play. So it is a back-side primary responsibility but if play-side can make the call then he can make it.

And by the way, if it is not forward then it is backward. Parallel is backward.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
The wings have the best angle on the quick pass to a receiver just behind the LOS. If it is backwards, not parallel or forward, they signal it is backward by extending an arm toward A's goal line.
We signal with the punch back even on a PARALLELL pass, because these would be live as well.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 04:10pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
REPLY: We have been instructed that the pass-side wing 'punch back' if he determines the pass to be backwards.
Our association agrees with Snake-eyes. If the wing punches back and R rules it incomplete, you can get confusion. No whistle and continuing to officiate indicates that ball is live.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

NY state office has instructed that on quick passes to a split end (e.g. one-step drop, turn, and fire), the wing that the pass is coming at is to punch back on a non-forward pass.

Most of the officials in this chapter feel that the wing the pass is going away from has a much better angle on this, and have him signal first; the "on" official can then pick that up.

Anything other than that very quick pass to the sideline is ruled on by the referee, as the wings are likely to be down the sideline.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

On my crew, we do not punch back, we either have a whistle or we do not. If anyone is sure enough that it is forward then they will blow their whistle. If no whistle, we have a fumble. On quick passes it will "usually" be the wings, if the QB drops back it will probably by the R, if the QB is close to the LOS it may be the U as he has stepped up towards the LOS to clear himself of the TE dragging.

The thing is you never know who will have the best angle, so whoever sees it is forward they will blow their whistle.

The problem, IMO, with punching back is if one official punches back while at the same time another official blows his whistle, now we have some really angry coaches. With no punch, a whistle means forward and none means backwards.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
On my crew, we do not punch back, we either have a whistle or we do not. If anyone is sure enough that it is forward then they will blow their whistle. If no whistle, we have a fumble. On quick passes it will "usually" be the wings, if the QB drops back it will probably by the R, if the QB is close to the LOS it may be the U as he has stepped up towards the LOS to clear himself of the TE dragging.

The thing is you never know who will have the best angle, so whoever sees it is forward they will blow their whistle.

The problem, IMO, with punching back is if one official punches back while at the same time another official blows his whistle, now we have some really angry coaches. With no punch, a whistle means forward and none means backwards.
We punch back. And at first I dismissed your idea about not punching back. Really, the punch back is for everyone, players, coaches, and fellow officials. If someone sees a pass that might be backwards and doesn't see the PB or hear the whistle, they may think you missed it. But, then you mentioned the PB and the whistle on the same play. I can see your point there. But what I would say is someone isn't officiating their area.

I can see both sides of the discussion and I think your suggestion might solve some heated debates with coaches. But I also like the idea of having everyone know that you have a backwards pass. I guess not blowing the whistle solves that too.