The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
Breaking contact with the rubber while making a jump move (or jab step) is NOT considered disengaging the rubber.
Who said it was?

Quote:
If the pitcher throws the ball out-of-play while making such a move the base award is ONE because the throw is considered to have been made while in contact with the rubber - even though the pitcher is NOT in contact with the rubber.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote:
On the other hand, if he first disengages the rubber (by stepping back) and THEN throws the ball out-of-play the base award is TWO.
This is fascinating. Did you just buy a rulebook?

Quote:
I maintain, you will almost NEVER see a professional pitcher disengage (i.e. stepping back) the rubber prior to throwing to first. I can't remember the last time I've seen it.
Don't get out much do you? I saw Jeff Weaver do it twice against the Yankees this week-end. Between feints and actual throws, I'll bet it happens somewhere in the MLB every game day.

Again, I never said it was the number one move. I said it was more prevalent in the majors for RHPs than stepping and throwing. RIF

I can't tell you how much I value your input Dave, but it's time to put you back in the box. Say hi to BigGuy for me.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon May 07, 2007 at 01:01am.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB

Again, I never said it was the number one move. I said it was more prevalent in the majors for RHPs than stepping and throwing. RIF

I can't tell you how much I value your input Dave, but it time to put you back in the box. Say hi to BigGuy for me.
They are both rare moves - I agree.

My intention was to simply point out the possible legality of the move described by the initial poster - not to make an assessment of how often it is used. Unquestionably - it's rare.

I got distracted when you mentioned stepping off then throwing. That is also very rare.

This is not to be confused by the common tactic of rapidly stepping off. When this is done, there is almost never a throw. It's usually done to break the runner's rhythm - not to pick him off.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN