Thread: Legal pickoff?
View Single Post
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
Breaking contact with the rubber while making a jump move (or jab step) is NOT considered disengaging the rubber.
Who said it was?

Quote:
If the pitcher throws the ball out-of-play while making such a move the base award is ONE because the throw is considered to have been made while in contact with the rubber - even though the pitcher is NOT in contact with the rubber.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote:
On the other hand, if he first disengages the rubber (by stepping back) and THEN throws the ball out-of-play the base award is TWO.
This is fascinating. Did you just buy a rulebook?

Quote:
I maintain, you will almost NEVER see a professional pitcher disengage (i.e. stepping back) the rubber prior to throwing to first. I can't remember the last time I've seen it.
Don't get out much do you? I saw Jeff Weaver do it twice against the Yankees this week-end. Between feints and actual throws, I'll bet it happens somewhere in the MLB every game day.

Again, I never said it was the number one move. I said it was more prevalent in the majors for RHPs than stepping and throwing. RIF

I can't tell you how much I value your input Dave, but it's time to put you back in the box. Say hi to BigGuy for me.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon May 07, 2007 at 01:01am.