The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Pickoff away from Base

OBR

8.05 (c) and (d) both refer to throws by the pitcher to a base, but J/R (Ch. 18, 11(d)) say that you can step to 2nd, say, and throw to a player away from the base.

At the level of play I'm seeing right now, R2 might be leading off 'way too far, say 1/3 of the way to 3B.

Is it a balk for a pitcher to step to F6 and throw the ball, if the runner is actually in the vicinity of F6 (and away from 2B)? I haven't seen it yet, but it could happen. Would it be OK (per J/R) if the step were towards 2B? From position C, I think I'd be able to tell the difference.

Perhaps the precedent is with lefties picking off at 1st. The step is considered to be either towards 1B or HP, based on the 45-degree angle. Is every step by a pitcher judged to be towards one base or another?

Thanks,
-LilLeaguer
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer
OBR

8.05 (c) and (d) both refer to throws by the pitcher to a base, but J/R (Ch. 18, 11(d)) say that you can step to 2nd, say, and throw to a player away from the base.

At the level of play I'm seeing right now, R2 might be leading off 'way too far, say 1/3 of the way to 3B.

Is it a balk for a pitcher to step to F6 and throw the ball, if the runner is actually in the vicinity of F6 (and away from 2B)? I haven't seen it yet, but it could happen. Would it be OK (per J/R) if the step were towards 2B? From position C, I think I'd be able to tell the difference.

Perhaps the precedent is with lefties picking off at 1st. The step is considered to be either towards 1B or HP, based on the 45-degree angle. Is every step by a pitcher judged to be towards one base or another?

Thanks,
-LilLeaguer

From the rubber the pitcher can throw or feint a throw to second or third as long as his free foot gains distance and direction to that base.

This means that a pitcher can throw or feint to F6 with R2 as long as his free foot lands more toward second than third, unless you have an R3 as well.

If you don't have R3 and his free foot lands more toward third he's balked for feinting to an unoccupied base unless R2 is making a legitimate attempt to advance.

Tim.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
From the rubber the pitcher can throw or feint a throw to second or third as long as his free foot gains distance and direction to that base.

This means that a pitcher can throw or feint to F6 with R2 as long as his free foot lands more toward second than third, unless you have an R3 as well.

If you don't have R3 and his free foot lands more toward third he's balked for feinting to an unoccupied base unless R2 is making a legitimate attempt to advance.

Tim.
Sounds reasonable.

Thanks,
-LilLeaguer