The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 05, 2007, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

4th Out Appeal

I'm not an umpire (other than from the stands). What is a "4th out appeal" or "advantagous 4th out appeal" that I've seen on here a few times?
Old Sat May 05, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

The offense might commit a baserunnng infraction during a play in which the third out is made. The defense can appeal this baserunning infraction and have the "foruth out" (on the appeal) replace the third out made during the play. The fourth out might be such that runs would be negated (e.g., the fourht out might be a force out, so no runs would score)
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

OBR Rule 7.10 Appeal plays may require an umpire to recognize an apparent “fourth out.”
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

It's even possible to get a fifth out.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
This would be one example where an advantageous fourth out might be used on appeal.

1 out with R3 and R2. Fly ball to short left field is caught for out #2. R3 and R2 both make legal tags. F7 throws home in an attempt to retire R3 and the ball squirts away from F2, scoring R3. R2 now tries for home and is tagged out by F2 after he recovers the ball. The BR has missed first base as he advanced to second. The defense executes a proper appeal on the BR missing first base for the apparent fourth out negating R3's run.

Tim.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
This would be one example where an advantageous fourth out might be used on appeal.

1 out with R3 and R2. Fly ball to short left field is caught for out #2. R3 and R2 both make legal tags. F7 throws home in an attempt to retire R3 and the ball squirts away from F2, scoring R3. R2 now tries for home and is tagged out by F2 after he recovers the ball. The BR has missed first base as he advanced to second. The defense executes a proper appeal on the BR missing first base for the apparent fourth out negating R3's run.

Tim.
Tim, I'm no expert on baseball and umpiring, but I fail to see how the BR in your situation can be called out for not touching first when he was retired when F7 caught the fly ball.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Tim, I'm no expert on baseball and umpiring, but I fail to see how the BR in your situation can be called out for not touching first when he was retired when F7 caught the fly ball.
You're right, Mark. I kicked it.

Tim.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I was hoping someone would provide you with a current MLB situation as an example. I know I could write a small disertation on the subject, mess a thing up or two and wind up completely off track and the subject of ridicule.
Bases loaded, 2 outs. BR hits a gapper in RCF tries to stretch it into a triple and is thrown out at 3B for the 3rd out. Defense properly appeals that BR missed 1B and he is declared out for the 4th out. No runs score.