The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   4th Out Appeal (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/34277-4th-out-appeal.html)

cshs81 Sat May 05, 2007 10:18pm

4th Out Appeal

I'm not an umpire (other than from the stands). What is a "4th out appeal" or "advantagous 4th out appeal" that I've seen on here a few times?

bob jenkins Sat May 05, 2007 10:33pm

The offense might commit a baserunnng infraction during a play in which the third out is made. The defense can appeal this baserunning infraction and have the "foruth out" (on the appeal) replace the third out made during the play. The fourth out might be such that runs would be negated (e.g., the fourht out might be a force out, so no runs would score)

SAump Sun May 06, 2007 12:44am

OBR Rule 7.10 Appeal plays may require an umpire to recognize an apparent “fourth out.”

greymule Sun May 06, 2007 01:21pm

It's even possible to get a fifth out.

BigUmp56 Sun May 06, 2007 01:21pm

This would be one example where an advantageous fourth out might be used on appeal.

1 out with R3 and R2. Fly ball to short left field is caught for out #2. R3 and R2 both make legal tags. F7 throws home in an attempt to retire R3 and the ball squirts away from F2, scoring R3. R2 now tries for home and is tagged out by F2 after he recovers the ball. The BR has missed first base as he advanced to second. The defense executes a proper appeal on the BR missing first base for the apparent fourth out negating R3's run.

Tim.

Mark Dexter Sun May 06, 2007 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56
This would be one example where an advantageous fourth out might be used on appeal.

1 out with R3 and R2. Fly ball to short left field is caught for out #2. R3 and R2 both make legal tags. F7 throws home in an attempt to retire R3 and the ball squirts away from F2, scoring R3. R2 now tries for home and is tagged out by F2 after he recovers the ball. The BR has missed first base as he advanced to second. The defense executes a proper appeal on the BR missing first base for the apparent fourth out negating R3's run.

Tim.

Tim, I'm no expert on baseball and umpiring, but I fail to see how the BR in your situation can be called out for not touching first when he was retired when F7 caught the fly ball. :confused:

BigUmp56 Sun May 06, 2007 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Tim, I'm no expert on baseball and umpiring, but I fail to see how the BR in your situation can be called out for not touching first when he was retired when F7 caught the fly ball. :confused:

You're right, Mark. I kicked it.

Tim.

DG Sun May 06, 2007 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump
I was hoping someone would provide you with a current MLB situation as an example. I know I could write a small disertation on the subject, mess a thing up or two and wind up completely off track and the subject of ridicule.

Bases loaded, 2 outs. BR hits a gapper in RCF tries to stretch it into a triple and is thrown out at 3B for the 3rd out. Defense properly appeals that BR missed 1B and he is declared out for the 4th out. No runs score.