The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I think most of us agree with each other that making up calls you know are wrong is POOR game management, and since Game Management is your only reason for doing what you did, I suspect you should not do this in the future.

You're asking for advice, and I think we've given it numerous times. Call the game as you see it. You are the arbiter, not the babysitter. You are the impartial one - keep it that way. And definitely don't tell players what to do - leave that to coaches.

You mentioned that the coaches have no supervisor. Who made them coaches? Surely there is SOMEone that can have the sportsmanship conversation with them, even if it is some sort of league commish. SOMEONE has to be in charge of this mess. THAT'S the person that should be discussing things with the manager.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The spectator was some youth ball player who was warming up near the stands down the 3rd baseline. The batter hit a screamer down the 3bl. The spectator came onto the field of play to grab the ball and do the left fielder the 'favor' of helping him.

Rest assured, there were no spectators anywhere on the field of play. The problem is there is no fence down the left field line to keep the peanut gallery out.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Fair enough Mcrowder. I think I might send an email to the League co-ordinator as a reminder for all the coaches.

But should I simply let a brawl occur??

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
If it happens, its out of your control. Have a seat and take down numbers for your ejections and your report. Never get in the middle of one of those babies!
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Fair enough Mcrowder. I think I might send an email to the League co-ordinator as a reminder for all the coaches.

If you can prevent a brawl through normal means, please do so. But altering a call intentionally in order to prevent a possible brawl is a REALLY bad way to go about it.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a Suggestion

I've only done it once...so although it worked, I'm not sure it always would. Had a playoff game with a lot of intensity and it appeared several of the players were getting ticked at each other.

Between innings called a coach and one team captain from each side to home for a little mid-game conference. Told both sides that the game appears to be going down a poor path. And while nothing terrible has happened yet, it feels like we're close. (Both teams agreed). I asked each of them to go talk to their teams, let them know nothing would be tolerated and they should start enjoying themselves very soon...or at least fake it.

I stood with each captain and/or coach as they advised their respective teams.

Had no issues afterward. Both coaches thanked me after the game.

Thoughts?
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimology
I've only done it once...so although it worked, I'm not sure it always would. Had a playoff game with a lot of intensity and it appeared several of the players were getting ticked at each other.

Between innings called a coach and one team captain from each side to home for a little mid-game conference. Told both sides that the game appears to be going down a poor path. And while nothing terrible has happened yet, it feels like we're close. (Both teams agreed). I asked each of them to go talk to their teams, let them know nothing would be tolerated and they should start enjoying themselves very soon...or at least fake it.

Thoughts?
That's top quality preventive officiating!
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
MUCH better than inventing outs just to get it over with.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 04:53pm
BigGuy

Quote:

Thoughts?
Excellent choice - I'd do the same thing. De-fuse the situation before it gets out of control.

During the first of my two games last night, had a coach come out and apologize for remarks made by a parent in the stands. As only umpire, I got blocked out of an interference call after a batted ball hit the runner. As I moved to get into position and set up, the pitcher at the last second moves directly into my line of sight. The parent starts in on me because I didn't make the call. The coach understood completely.

During the second game last night, had a player take a called 3rd strike, belt high, straight down the middle - the best pitch he had seen. More ticked at himself, he kind of huffs and puffs, walks to the dugout area throws down his helmet a little harder than he should, but not enough to warrent ejection. I called out to him, "batter - do it again and you're gone". That's all I said. After the game the kid's father thanked me for chewing out his son so that he didn't have to. It wasn't necessary, but it was a nice gesture as apparently some parents also believe in good sportsmanship as well.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jim, this seams like a much better plan, NO DOUBT.

Thanks for an actual suggestion rather than another repetition of what was wrong.

I will totally use this in the future if anything like this occurs again.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."