View Single Post
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 04:53pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimology
I've only done it once...so although it worked, I'm not sure it always would. Had a playoff game with a lot of intensity and it appeared several of the players were getting ticked at each other.

Between innings called a coach and one team captain from each side to home for a little mid-game conference. Told both sides that the game appears to be going down a poor path. And while nothing terrible has happened yet, it feels like we're close. (Both teams agreed). I asked each of them to go talk to their teams, let them know nothing would be tolerated and they should start enjoying themselves very soon...or at least fake it.

I stood with each captain and/or coach as they advised their respective teams.

Had no issues afterward. Both coaches thanked me after the game.

Thoughts?
Excellent choice - I'd do the same thing. De-fuse the situation before it gets out of control.

During the first of my two games last night, had a coach come out and apologize for remarks made by a parent in the stands. As only umpire, I got blocked out of an interference call after a batted ball hit the runner. As I moved to get into position and set up, the pitcher at the last second moves directly into my line of sight. The parent starts in on me because I didn't make the call. The coach understood completely.

During the second game last night, had a player take a called 3rd strike, belt high, straight down the middle - the best pitch he had seen. More ticked at himself, he kind of huffs and puffs, walks to the dugout area throws down his helmet a little harder than he should, but not enough to warrent ejection. I called out to him, "batter - do it again and you're gone". That's all I said. After the game the kid's father thanked me for chewing out his son so that he didn't have to. It wasn't necessary, but it was a nice gesture as apparently some parents also believe in good sportsmanship as well.