View Poll Results: Do you go to a knee to call plays on the bases
Yes, whenever possible 2 2.94%
Only in 3 or 4 man 3 4.41%
No, I do not use this position 63 92.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:11am

1st Base Umpire kneels and gets straight lined

During the marathon 17 inning Padres/Dodgers game yesterday, there was a controversial play at first base.

There was a tough-chance ground ball to Raphael Furcal, the Dodger F6, which he fielded and threw in the general direction of first base.

The throw was to the outfield side of the bag, and when F3 stretched for it, he clearly pulled his foot off the base. While his foot was off the base, Padre Mike Cameron's foot hit the base, and after that, F3's foot rocked back onto the base. Had he not pulled his foot, the correct call would have been "out."

Meanwhile, 1st base umpire Jim Wolf, who loves getting on one knee when working first base anyway, must have gotten locked into his knee stance a bit too early, as he should have been on his feet for this call, so he could have moved to his right to see the pulled foot. He got completely straight lined, and blocked out by F3's body. Wolf gave it a very routine out call at first base.

Bud Black came out to argue, but to no avail. Everyone saw the pulled foot except Wolf apparently.

My question is: what are your thoughts on getting to one knee to make calls on the bases, and if you do this, do you wait to make sure that the throw is on-line before locking in?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:14am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
During the marathon 17 inning Padres/Dodgers game yesterday, there was a controversial play at first base.

There was a tough-chance ground ball to Raphael Furcal, the Dodger F6, which he fielded and threw in the general direction of first base.

The throw was to the outfield side of the bag, and when F3 stretched for it, he clearly pulled his foot off the base. While his foot was off the base, Padre Mike Cameron's foot hit the base, and after that, F3's foot rocked back onto the base. Had he not pulled his foot, the correct call would have been "out."

Meanwhile, 1st base umpire Jim Wolf, who loves getting on one knee when working first base anyway, must have gotten locked into his knee stance a bit too early, as he should have been on his feet for this call, so he could have moved to his right to see the pulled foot. He got completely straight lined, and blocked out by F3's body. Wolf gave it a very routine out call at first base.

Bud Black came out to argue, but to no avail. Everyone saw the pulled foot except Wolf apparently.

My question is: what are your thoughts on getting to one knee to make calls on the bases, and if you do this, do you wait to make sure that the throw is on-line before locking in?

My knees are so arthritic that if I got down on one knee I would need a crane to get me back on two feet. So I guess you now know my opinion of getting down on one knee to make an out call.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:16am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

The above situation is a good reason to never drop to one knee. Would it have made a difference, maybe, maybe not, but we'll never know.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I like going to one knee to make base calls. It locks you in and gets you down closer to the level of the base.

I saw the play you are talking about and Wolf did get straight lined. In hindsight, he probably wishes he would have waited maybe a split second before going to the knee and he could have moved inside for a better look at the foot. I think he saw Furcal release the throw and it was too late to move inside at that point.

I do like the knee, though.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

I go into a bit of a scissors especially at 1st base. I do not "lay into it" until the last moment in case I have to move. I find that I get a better view and once I "lock in" I'm like a camera on a tripod.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I go into a bit of a scissors especially at 1st base. I do not "lay into it" until the last moment in case I have to move. I find that I get a better view and once I "lock in" I'm like a camera on a tripod.
isn't that somewhat risky in a two man system? a throw in the dirt or anything weird could get you to 2B late...I could see locking like that in a three man...even though I personally wouldn't do it...couldn't a "hands on, knees set" or HOKS be just as effective at your knee and still not have you be the sitting duck?? thoughts?
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

IMO I still believe one of the best ways to read the play at first after you get into position, is to lock your hands on your knees, see the play, make your decision, stand erect, announce it. Your still flexible enough to adjust if you have to. Especially in the 2 man system.

But then again at 28 going to one knee and recovering was never a problem. 30 years later, Houston we got a problem!

I picked this up from a Gerry Davis tape several years ago and it really helped me in calling ALL plays at first.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I go to one knee is when I have working too long in the yard on a hot day, and I may be sitting on my butt shortly thereafter.

If I can make it to the garage there is a fan there, cool concrete and a cold beverage in the garage refrigerator.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 10:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
isn't that somewhat risky in a two man system? a throw in the dirt or anything weird could get you to 2B late...I could see locking like that in a three man...even though I personally wouldn't do it...couldn't a "hands on, knees set" or HOKS be just as effective at your knee and still not have you be the sitting duck?? thoughts?
Ozzy said that he works a locked "scissors" position, more of a standing set position. He does not work the knee. Reading is fun, and fundamental.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 10:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
The only time I go to one knee is when I have working too long in the yard on a hot day, and I may be sitting on my butt shortly thereafter.

If I can make it to the garage there is a fan there, cool concrete and a cold beverage in the garage refrigerator.
My sentiments exactly!
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
In 25 years of 2 man work, I haven't missed a play. Now if you think about it, a PU using the scissors has to get out just as fast as a BU has to move. Remember, the lock comes at the last minute. If I read a problem with the fielder making the throw, I remain in an upright stance. If on the rare occasion the throw is bad, I make sure the runner is clear and angle in just like you youngen's learned in school!
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
One knee can work, when you have one umpire per base.

But I don't like it (or use it), because you can't adjust to the play.

Nick
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Going to knee is very bad mechanics and is frowned upon around here. We are taught and I teach not to go down on one knee. Standing set is best.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
one time, I was in A while the defense had the Barry Bonds/Jason Giambi shift on for a lefty batter.

A grounder was hit to F4, and I started to cut in thinking "routine line drive to right field". As I started to cut I realized my failure. I looked the 2nd baseman right in the eye as he came up with the ball and realized the ball was coming right at my face. I hit the deck, almost to my stomach, with both knees on the ground.

It was a real banger at first, I got myself to one knee at least, and made the call.

Had a few laughs in the parking lot.

That gentleman, is the only time i've ever gotten on a knee on the baseball field
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 03:02am

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread and poll.

If you haven't given your opinion yet, please feel free to do so, as this is a perpetual poll.