The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Batter Interference question

Good Morning,
I had a play yesterday with a double steal of 2nd and 3rd. As the catcher made an attempt to throw to 2nd the batter was not in his way ( he sort of stepped back) but F2 appeared to change his mind then made an attempt to throw to F5 now at this point it was possiable that B3 may have been in the way for a throw to F5 but F2 did not throw the ball. He didn't complain alot but did mention it. Now I said that B3 was not in his way but lets assume he was. Since F2 made an initial attempt to throw to F6 ( it was not a fake attempt he changed his mind as R1 got a late jump) and as B3 moved away from the throw to F6 but moved in a postion that put him in the way for a throw to F5 would this still be interference????
Thanks Mike
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:06am
M.A.S.H.

If you judged it that any movement the batter made hindered the actions for the catcher to make an attempt to make a play on a runner then it would be interference.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Good Morning,
I had a play yesterday with a double steal of 2nd and 3rd. As the catcher made an attempt to throw to 2nd the batter was not in his way ( he sort of stepped back) but F2 appeared to change his mind then made an attempt to throw to F5 now at this point it was possiable that B3 may have been in the way for a throw to F5 but F2 did not throw the ball. He didn't complain alot but did mention it. Now I said that B3 was not in his way but lets assume he was. Since F2 made an initial attempt to throw to F6 ( it was not a fake attempt he changed his mind as R1 got a late jump) and as B3 moved away from the throw to F6 but moved in a postion that put him in the way for a throw to F5 would this still be interference????
Thanks Mike
Since his first attempt was at 2nd then that would get priority; however, the batter can be guilty of interference at any time.

But, if F2 had moved in front of the plate, etc., then I'm going to give the batter a little leeway unless I think he makes some kind of intentional movement etc.,

But as the post above mentioned, the umpire simply has to use his judgement.
Goes back to level of ball etc.,

Thanks
David