The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I am UIC watching a game where this happens. R1 stealing 2nd, catcher bobbles the ball, actually deflects off her shin guard and goes behind batter (about 3 feet) F2 goes for ball, batter is backing up to clear path, sees F2 and tries to squat to get out of way, F2 throws and contacts B2. Throw is bad and R1 safe at 2nd. Def coach wants int. on batter. Threw the fence PU asks me I ask "Do you feel the interference was intentional?" "No" then you have no interference. Coach didn't like it saying they had to leave the box, I told him that is only at home. I, being that I am hobbling along with an air cast right now and had nothing better to do, got a book to show the coach the POE on interference. As it states the batters box is not a safe haven when there is a play at the plate, but interference has to be intentional with a play at any other base. He read it but still said I need to look farther as "it's in there somewhere they have to get out of the box on any base." So am I right in reading the POE in the ASA book to have batter interference at any base other than home it has to be judged intentional?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
So am I right in reading the POE in the ASA book to have batter interference at any base other than home it has to be judged intentional?
If the batter stays in the batter's box, yes, you are correct. If the batter steps out of the box, intent is not required.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

They got the call right, you got the rule right. For the $100 protest fee I am collecting, I will show it to him in the book. Otherwise, play on, coach, or YOU can look it up in the parking lot.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:29pm
Never Stop Learning

Look at ASA 7-6-P Says batter is okay in the box as long as it isn't intentional but can't hinder the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batters box. Judgement by the umpire though. If the batter stays in the box the catcher can work around them. The coach was wrong in saying the batter has to get out of the box on any base. I have edited and stand corrected. Thanks read it wrong.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Jun 2nd, 2005 at 03:39 PM]
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Maeder
Look at ASA 7-6-P Says batter is okay in the box as long as it isn't intentional but can't hinder the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batters box. Seems like coach could have been right. Judgement by the umpire though. If the batter stays in the box the catcher can work around them. If they move out of the box the catcher will have a hard time moving around them. Better check again Steve.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Jun 2nd, 2005 at 03:31 PM]
Ed,

Did you note this in the original scenario?
Quote:
Coach didn't like it saying they had to leave the box...
Sounds like the coach was complaining that the batter had to clear out - "leave the box" - so I take that to mean the batter remained in the box. But it is a bit of an assumption since the post wasn't definite on that.

If the batter remained in the box and did nothing otherwise to show intent to interfere, then the call was right. Right?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,
Batter started to retreat from box, saw F2 working to a spot behind her (chasing the ball) and stopped to try to stay out of her way, I think she was assuming that F2 was going to throw behind her as the ball was actually behind her and IMO F2 should have had a clear chance for a throw (there was no chance on an out IMO as R1 got a good jump) if she would have done that. But for the record the batters feet were still within the batters box.

To make sure I am square on this does there have to be intent to get batter INT on a throw to any other base other than home plate?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 02:59pm
Never Stop Learning

Yes if they are in the box, No if they are out of the box.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But for the record the batters feet were still within the batters box.
Then the call was right.
Quote:
To make sure I am square on this does there have to be intent to get batter INT on a throw to any other base other than home plate?
What Ed said.

If the batter remains in the box, on any situation other than a play at the plate, she must intentionally interfere for an interference call.

If the batter leaves the box, then any interference should get the call, intentional or not.

Remember, to meet the definition of "interference" there must be a play. So, if the runner is going in standing up while the catcher is still chasing the passed ball, then there is no play, hence no interference is possible regardless of where the batter is.

Also, if the catcher makes no play, there was no interference - even if the reason the catcher did not attempt a play may have been that the batter was in the way.