The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Hello,

I hope I dont bother you too much with questions - Last night in our scrimmage ( not game )16U ASA Fastpitch, I counted three times that the catcher received the pitch and threw to 3rd base. Each time while the batter was trying to back out of the box the catcher was brushing against them, not running into the per se, just brushing against. I wasn't sure if the batter wasn't getting out of the box quickly enough or what she could have done to not interfere in this situation. If a game were being played what would the call or what is the batters obligation in this situation ?

Thank you
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

In most cases I am thinking a batter "backing" up is getting out of the way, and the brushing is Okay
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Best thing for the batter to do is to stay put in the batters box, unless there is a play at home...

I'd have to see the play, but in your case, I may have batter interference...depends on what it looked like to me...and was the batter out of the box when the "brushing" happened...or did I feel there was any intention by the batter to get in the catchers way...like the old swing through the pitch and step across the plate with a runner from first base stealing second...that's not intentional is it?
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HardtailStrat
Hello,

I hope I dont bother you too much with questions - Last night in our scrimmage ( not game )16U ASA Fastpitch, I counted three times that the catcher received the pitch and threw to 3rd base. Each time while the batter was trying to back out of the box the catcher was brushing against them, not running into the per se, just brushing against. I wasn't sure if the batter wasn't getting out of the box quickly enough or what she could have done to not interfere in this situation. If a game were being played what would the call or what is the batters obligation in this situation ?

Thank you
Catcher needs to be taught to work around the batter. In turn, batters need to be taught to NOT move and stay within the box.

Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for your replies.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

orange-

That's correct. But If the batter just stands there, it's then the catcher's responsibility to avoid the batter. As long as she has remained in the box, I'm going to need intent to rule interference on her. The way I normally call these:

In the box: Intent needed
Backing out: No intent needed

Play at the plate completely different story, batter must vacate plate area and not interfere witht the play.

-Josh
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: RE: this question

Quote:
Originally posted by orangeump
you say stay within the box, but that doesnt automatically mean that the batter has not interfered.
No. Even if the batter stays in the box, any movement while the catcher is making a throw that may interfere with that throw may be construed as intentional.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: RE: this question

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by orangeump
you say stay within the box, but that doesnt automatically mean that the batter has not interfered.
No. Even if the batter stays in the box, any movement while the catcher is making a throw that may interfere with that throw may be construed as intentional.
One of the rulebooks (ASA/FED/NCAA) says repositioning in the batters box may be construed as interference/intential. Don't have them in front of me now so I can't remember which one.