The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Batter Interference Question

Getting ready to move from CA to GA, so all my rule / case books are packed.

Today, I had a situation that was almost a Batter's Interference, but I felt the Catcher gave up because the Runner had returned to 1st base, rather than because the Batter had stepped in front of him.

Anyway...

I know that for all situations, other than less than 2 outs with the Runner attempting to score from 3rd, the Batter would be out, and all Runners return on Batter's Interference.

But like today, what if the pitch was Strike 3, and the Batter was already out (1st out of the inning), and then caused Interference in a situation where the Batter is supposed to be out and the Runners returned ?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego

Today, I had a situation that was almost a Batter's Interference, but I felt the Catcher gave up because the Runner had returned to 1st base, rather than because the Batter had stepped in front of him.

Anyway...

I know that for all situations, other than less than 2 outs with the Runner attempting to score from 3rd, the Batter would be out, and all Runners return on Batter's Interference.

But like today, what if the pitch was Strike 3, and the Batter was already out (1st out of the inning), and then caused Interference in a situation where the Batter is supposed to be out and the Runners returned ?

Thanks in advance.
Well, the batter can't be out twice, and someone needs to be out on (most)interference, so that only leaves the runner who would be out.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Anyway...

Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming varsity ball?

You might have to think about the intent. If F2 never attempts to make a play then how can you have interference.

We can't just assume that the F2 was going to make a play.

Now if its "small ball" might be a little different.

Bob had the answer as to who is out!

Thanks
David
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Anyway...

Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming varsity ball?

You might have to think about the intent. If F2 never attempts to make a play then how can you have interference.

We can't just assume that the F2 was going to make a play.

Now if its "small ball" might be a little different.

Bob had the answer as to who is out!

Thanks
David
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming FED rules here:

Rule 3-2-3
"...nor shall...members of the team at bat fail to vacate any area needed by a fielder in his attempt to put out a batter or runner"

Penalty : The ball is dead immediately and the runner is out.

I believe that just about covers it.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Don't have my rulebook at work, but isn't there also a rule that states something to the effect that anytime a player who has been put out interferes with an ensuing defensive play, then that player shall be called out for the actions of his teammate.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I believe batter interference is delayed dead ball
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt
I believe batter interference is delayed dead ball

Once he strikes out he no longer is the batter. No other runners can advance on his interference. Kill the ball, call the batter out on strikes, and the runner out on the interference. 3 outs.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

This is the exact situation on the umpire exam I had this past weekend:

A (stupid and/or really fast) runner tries to steal second with none out. On the pitch, the batter misses for a third strike and steps across the plate, interfering with the catcher's throw. Is there 2 out?

The answer was no. OBR rules. Answer key indicated the play was dead and the runner returns to first. referencing rules 6.06 (c)

Yet another error on the exam???
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

7-3-5 penalty:

"...If the pitch is a third strike and in the umpire's judgement interference prevents a possible double play (additional outs), two may be ruled out."
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
7-3-5 penalty:

"...If the pitch is a third strike and in the umpire's judgement interference prevents a possible double play (additional outs), two may be ruled out."
I'm assuming this is a FED reference. In Canada we only use OBR so what would the rule reference be in OBR??
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:40pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think the OBR reference also deal with "willful and deliberate intent to break up an obvious double play" a strike 'em out, throw 'em out...99.9999% of the time in my judgement is not an obvious double play...therefore, in many instances, I'd send the runner back to first. but if we have R3, less than two outs and we have Batter interference, our runner is out...because he's at third and we're not going to give the offense another opportunity to score a run again right??? that's the part that has always confused me.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
I think the OBR reference also deal with "willful and deliberate intent to break up an obvious double play" a strike 'em out, throw 'em out
Problem is in this situation it doesn't appear as if the batter's interference was willful or deliberate, he was simply trying to hit the ball and lost his balance.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmore
Don't have my rulebook at work, but isn't there also a rule that states something to the effect that anytime a player who has been put out interferes with an ensuing defensive play, then that player shall be called out for the actions of his teammate.

OBR 7.09(d)
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 02:07pm
Stop staring at me swan.

you are correct. sorry if I took this in another direction...