Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LomUmp
Hey all,

My point is, where does it end on expanding the zone? An inch or two is one thing; toes to nose, box to box is something different.

LomUmp
As I stated before, IMO there should be a separate and distinct set of rules for the "pee wee' division of baseball.

Example to get my point across.

When my kids played Pee Wee basketball, there was no Full court press allowed until the last 2 minutes of the game unless the game was out of hand by then.

In addition, there had to be a minimum of 3/4 passes before you could shoot the ball so that the kids learned teamwork.

The strike zone as defined in any major rule-book did not have 8/9 yr. olds in mind when it was thought of.

I can tell you as both a Parent former coach and now an umpire no-one likes to see kid after kid walk. It is the most boring time one could have.

The kids are not learning anything. The fielders are not learning how to field properly, etc.

One could argue why have kids at that age pitch to begin with. At that age the league should be more instructional and not keep score etc.

Now to answer your question where does it end on expanding the zone?

It ends as soon as the kids start swinging the bats and not constantly leave the bat on their shoulders. I could care less about the ooh's / aahs from the coaches / parents. As an umpire especially in "kiddy ball" you hear ooh's / aahs no matter what you do. that's why many leagues do not have umpires at this level and have to get parents out of the stands to do the games.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 11:25am
Stop staring at me swan.

Call strikes, call strikes, call strikes...if you're consistent, you'll never hear anything from any coach, player, or fan, etc...(not that we care anyway)...but you all catch my drift...good plate umpires establish a zone, they stick with it, and players learn to swing the bat. Every pitch starts out as a strike until it proves to be a ball.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Call strikes, call strikes, call strikes...if you're consistent, you'll never hear anything from any coach, player, or fan, etc...(not that we care anyway)...but you all catch my drift...good plate umpires establish a zone, they stick with it, and players learn to swing the bat. Every pitch starts out as a strike until it proves to be a ball.
Agreed! Think about every game youv'e ever done behind the plate. Those pitches that are just off the plate that are called a ball is when you hear all those ooooos!! and ahhhhhhs! Call those pitches strikes EVERYONE WANTS YOU TO!!!!!!!
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 05:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
Agreed! Think about every game youv'e ever done behind the plate. Those pitches that are just off the plate that are called a ball is when you hear all those ooooos!! and ahhhhhhs! Call those pitches strikes EVERYONE WANTS YOU TO!!!!!!!
Everyone except the hitter.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 01:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
Everyone except the hitter and all the fans of the team on offense. You can't please everybody ever.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25