The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Question Critique Please - Topic 1: Plate Stance

Gentlemen,

I have never seen what I look like while umpiring, so I got someone to come to a game I was working yesterday and take some photos. It was very interesting to me to see the pix. I learned some things about what I was doing - that I had thought I was doing differently.

I've already formed some opinions from looking at the photos about some things I need to work on & some things I think I'm doing OK on.

I thought I would solicit feedback from the members of this forum, because I'm sure there are additional things that you will notice that I have not.

So, let 'er rip; feel free to be brutally honest. My feelings aren't hurt very easily and I'm just interested in improving.

I have posted 6 photos, taken from different angles, of me working the plate at the following link:

http://www.putfile.com/coachjm/images/101509

The game is a 14U Travel game and I am working solo. My intent is to be conforming to the "heel-toe-heel-toe" stance I was taught at the Desert Classic.

These three are a sequence of 3 shots on the same pitch:

If this proves interesting to the members, I will post some additional photos showing some different aspects of the game so you can all have some fun telling me what I'm doing wrong ( ) and maybe we can all learn something.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Sun Apr 22, 2007 at 11:15pm.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Gentlemen,

The game is a 14U Travel game and I am working solo. My intent is to be conforming to the "heel-toe-heel-toe" stance I was taught at the Desert Classic.

JM
You may have learned heel toe/heel toe foot positioning at the Desert Classic, but you didn't learn this stance there.

That said....

In picture 2 your feet seem to heel/heel.

In pictures 4,5,6 you seem to have your slot foot back farther than the other foot. It's as if you were setting up for RH batter instead of the LH batter.

All put together, it seems that your stance is a "tweener." Not a standard heel/toe slot as Jim teaches it, and not a Gerry Davis. Something in between.

Suggestions: Which ever stance you're trying for, get more in the slot and spread your feet farther apart.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Apr 22, 2007 at 09:13pm.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Coach JM,

If I remember right, the three determining factors on your position in the slot with a stance (heel-toe in this case) are width of stance, degree of squat, amount of lean. It looks to me that you need to widen your base width for starters. This was one of the best recommendations I got when I went to the Florida Classic in 2001. It takes a tremendous amount of pressure off your knees and lets your hamstrings and quads do the work.

I think if you widen out a little, you'll get better head height (one shot looks like you are working a little high) and it will minimize fatigue.

I am having to force myself to widen out more this year as well (Note: I am not advocating the double wide or GD stance width).
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 07:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

You stance is personal. If you can see the ball well and you can maintain a similar head position, then that is what you want to achieve in my opinion. I cannot tell anything big by these pictures other than it looks like you might be a little high and do not look as locked in.

Having said that most umpires I know have changed their stances multiple times over their careers. Partly because they did something they were completely comfortable when they started, but someone told them to do it so that is what they did.

I used what I would call a modified Gerry Davis stance and I have been much happier than what I used to do. This is probably my 4th stance over my 10+ years.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
John, your stance isn't bad, although like mentioned previously, it doesn't look heel-toe. It seems to me that you are very close to using the GD, so I would recommend just widening out your stance a bit and voila, you have it.

I would also recommend a more aggressive slot positioning. You can move about 2 or 3 inches further into the slot, which actually opens up your view of the outside corner.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would echo the comment that you're flirting with the Gerry Davis stance, so why not just go for it. Widen out, which will bring your head down a skotch which is all you need there, and then lock in with hands on knees. Also, in the very last picture the pitcher is well into his windup before you've dropped into your set position, so I would tend to agree with that photo's title ("late set.")
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Not a stance comment, but I would buy some plate pants if I were you.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Etn, give him a chance. Afterall he is a 'convert' from the coaching ranks. At least he's not sitting on a bucket, spitting seeds.

John, you need to change your ID to BlueJM....

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

As already mentioned your hell toe is off. Your slot foot should be to the catchers heel line. You look like your farther back for the slot stance. I agree with the others you look closer to GD. (Pics one and two). I also agree with your head height. Just a little tall. You can widen your stance up a little as already mentioned also. I like that your shoulders look square to the pitcher and level, good job. In pics 4 and 5 it does appear you have your feet backward. Your right foot should be up in the slot. In 6, I also agree, you should already be set or at least on your way down. That way your set at the time of the release of the ball. By setting a little earlier, you will have an easier time in tracking the ball, hence proper use of eyes. I have no problem with your arm location. I also use a similar position with my hands. I no longer bring my slot arm across my abdomen. I got tired of getting hit in the wrist and elbow. Just remember to lock in with your non-slot arm.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 11:10pm
M.A.S.H.

Nice shinguards!!
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

minor suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
I would echo the comment that you're flirting with the Gerry Davis stance, so why not just go for it. Widen out, which will bring your head down a skotch which is all you need there, and then lock in with hands on knees. Also, in the very last picture the pitcher is well into his windup before you've dropped into your set position, so I would tend to agree with that photo's title ("late set.")
I agree with Dave. Good start, but go ahead and widen up a bit. That will drop the head down which is better.

Also, as Garth suggested move toward the slot and you will have a crstal clear view of the outside corner. (also you will avoid being hit as much being in the slot vs right behind F2)

One last thing, when you widen and drop the head. also move back a step which will help a lot.

Experiment is the only way, try a couple of innings doing something different and see how it works. Best of luck sounds like you are having fun which is what its all about!

Thanks
David
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Gentlemen,

Thanks to each of you for your constructive criticism (and the nice compliment on the shins, Tanner. )

When I saw the pictures, I was very surprised at my head height. I thought I had been getting my head much lower than I actually am. A couple of you mentioned working wider, which is exactly what I thought. I'm pretty comfortable with my "squat and lean" adjustments, and I was also surprised to see how far apart my feet were when I set (I thought I was getting "wider" than I actually am).

A number of you mentioned getting more in the slot. I believe I'm generally lining up in the slot reasonably well (though the previous pix wouldn't indicate that), and I think these pix are more typical of my slot alignment:

If these don't look right in reference to the slot, please let me know.

The Red Team catcher had some kind of quirky habits, one of which was regularly setting up in the slot. I have been told that if you get squeezed out of the slot by the catcher and/or batter, you should adjust by moving "up and back" in order to see the entire strike zone. He also liked to take a little "hop" forward as the pitcher released the ball. Anyway, I was a little uncomfortable adjusting to this catcher, and I may have been losing some discipline with my stance as a result.

From what I could tell from the pictures, my stance was generally better with the Green Team catcher than with the Red. This picture is more in line with what I'm working towards with my stance, though the angle and "foreshortening" may make it look better than it would from a different angle.

When I saw the 1st picture in the series of 3 on the same pitch imbedded in my first post, I had a kind of WTF moment. As in, WTF are you doing still standing up when the pitcher has started his delivery?!?!

Then I realized that the pitcher was pitching from Set and had runners on 1st and 3rd. I was waiting until he was past a pick-off to 3B and committed to pitch before setting. I thought I had been taught this, but can't find it in any of my books or notes. So maybe I just made it up. I felt (perhaps erroneously) that I was still able to get set before he released the ball and didn't feel like I was having any difficulty tracking the pitches.

So, is this wrong? At what point do you set to call the pitch when there's a possibility of a pick off and a pitcher pitching from set?

To etn_ump. I didn't much care for the way they looked either. They're alledgedly Combo pants. Now I understand why Tim C advised against getting them. I got them as a compromise last year when I was acquiring all my "umpire stuff". My wife/CFO was a little surprised at how much my new hobby was costing. I'll be ordering a pair of real Plate Pants as soon as I figure out which pair I want to get.

Thanks all.

JM
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

JM, my observations:

1) Your "GD" stance looks kinda akward. If i were you, i would start out with the standard box stance, then work up to the more advanced GD stance.

2) Your feet should be a little wider as others have said. This will really help you get lower, which brings me to...

3) You need to get your head lower. Your chin should be at the top of the catcher's head. This is probably caused by your ba$tardized GD stance with the arms locked.

After the hashing- good thing i spotted:

First photo the ball is in the dirt and it looks like you're rock steady. Good job not flinching!

But overall i would reccommend scrapping the GD stance for now and go to the good ol fashioned box stance.

PS- change the screen name
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

JM:

Before we go any further, are you attempting a GD stance?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
JM:

Before we go any further, are you attempting a GD stance?
Garth,

Not by intention. I don't really know what the GD system is. I've read some about it & seen it used.

I'm just trying to do what I was taught in Arizona. When I saw the pictures, even I could tell I wasn't doing it quite right.

I'm a little puzzled about why so many different people have made comments regarding the GD system after seeing the pix. I'm a little higher than I'd like to be, and farther away from the catcher than I thought I was. But not to the extent of the GD system. And my stance certainly isn't wide enough to conform to GD.

JM